Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My build - Lots of pics

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2008, 01:49 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are a couple of pics from what got done tonight.

More or less we made the start of our downpipe, just to make sure it cleared belts/merge, and also was not in the way of ic piping. damn 4 inch is HUGE!

We also got both sides of the ic piping done. We ground down all the welds, so they are almost perfectly smooth.

We were going to do the drivers side ic pipe, with only 1 silicon coupling @ the IC, and 1 and the tb, but we added 1 in for ease of taking it off when the front bumper is on.

We are still going to cut in the maf soon, and also need to drill it and get the bov installed.

More or less..... the fab part of the turbo kit is done. I got my griffen radiator, and we may start fabbing up brackets for that. Putting it where i want, its almost 2 inches away from the closest part of the turbo, which is charge side, and probably 5 inches away from hot side.

Radiator will probably be done next week, then its on to small stuff, fuel pump, injectors, plugs, fluids, lines(oil, radiator, and ps) Mount Alternator, Belt, and rewire the alt, wire linelock, wire gauges, and install boost controller.

im kinda tired, but i think thats about all left to do.

Thanks, Chris
Old 02-02-2008, 06:49 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great! I am at the same spot in my build just don't have any time to put into it right now.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Banned

Not bad guys. Not bad at all.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

nice! got that gallery ready?
Old 02-02-2008, 08:27 PM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

I'm having problems uploading ALL the pics right now. Were working on it though don't worry. Also look for a more technical/detailed write up of what it actually takes somebody with no previous experience to tackle a project like this.

Sean
Old 02-02-2008, 09:43 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Broke EF
I'm having problems uploading ALL the pics right now. Were working on it though don't worry. Also look for a more technical/detailed write up of what it actually takes somebody with no previous experience to tackle a project like this.

Sean

Somebody like us? Lol. I dont want to jinx us yet, but it has been way easier then i thought.. Im sure we will have problems to work through, but the fabrication part is done, which i am very happy with, and short of having to make the dp go under the k member i am 100 percent happy, but i dont think anyone has managed to get a 4 inch dp through the factory k member yet. The bmr turbo k member will come soon hopefully then we can re make the dp.

Chris
Old 02-02-2008, 10:54 PM
9 Second Club

looking good. just starting on customers today. doing a very similar setup too. can't wait to see progress of your car
Old 02-02-2008, 11:43 PM
Banned

what are you gunna do with ur old headers and the rest of ur exhaust
Old 02-03-2008, 12:54 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by DBEST369
what are you gunna do with ur old headers and the rest of ur exhaust
Sold and sold.

Sorry i had them in the for sale section and they went right away.

Chris
Old 02-03-2008, 01:56 AM
9 Second Club

Well i was bored, and with the help of brokef uploading a crap load of pictures he had to my site, i made a gallery. If you are bored, or you really want to see a ton of photos check it out. The photos are from when the car was na, up till this point. All dated, and i made little descriptions of what we did each day. If you have any problems with any of the galleries, let me know.

You will need flash player for the galleries as well.

http://www.sidewayz.net/turbota
Old 02-03-2008, 01:58 AM
9 Second Club

Oh god, close-ish pics of my welds...and my balding head

Sean
Old 02-03-2008, 03:18 AM
TECH Resident

everything looks awesome, but only thing really bothering me is whats up with the charge pipe going to the throttle body? Why is it so large and why is the bend so drastic it seems like you're not gonna have any space to fit any radiator in front there unless you cut the rad. support or something. Also another clearance "problem" that i noticed which isnt really a problem but w.e....is why didnt you mount the turbo closer to the engine to free up alillllll bit more space for radiator or accessories? Jus throwin out my bs opinions, i see them as problems b/c im going to keep everything in stock locations as possible while maintaining my A/c but just wanted to ask and see why. Again looks great, you guys are building at a very nice pace keep it up
Old 02-03-2008, 05:14 AM
Staging Lane

You know, you've officially convinced me to do a turbo build. So you can now say you're an inspiration. I've also subscribed to the thread and I'm looking forward to future updates.

BTW, You can't use the AC with the truck manifolds can you? I just keep thinking that I read that it's not possible. If not, I'll have to think of other routes. The wifey will never let me take the ac out.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:14 AM
TECH Addict

Looking good got allot of good pics there, keep up the great pace!
Old 02-03-2008, 09:42 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by fenix999
everything looks awesome, but only thing really bothering me is whats up with the charge pipe going to the throttle body? Why is it so large and why is the bend so drastic it seems like you're not gonna have any space to fit any radiator in front there unless you cut the rad. support or something. Also another clearance "problem" that i noticed which isnt really a problem but w.e....is why didnt you mount the turbo closer to the engine to free up alillllll bit more space for radiator or accessories? Jus throwin out my bs opinions, i see them as problems b/c im going to keep everything in stock locations as possible while maintaining my A/c but just wanted to ask and see why. Again looks great, you guys are building at a very nice pace keep it up
Well were doing a vertiacal radiator, so that should explain some of it. The pipe comming out of the TB is a 90* bend, not to bad. We have seen people do 90 out of the TB, striaght to the fender then 90 down, then 90 under the frame, then 90 to face the front, then 90 into the IC. Thats alot of 90's so we went 90 out of the TB and pointed it down at a 45* angle, then its 45 under the frame and the two 90's to face forward and face the IC.

As far as the turbo goes, we didnt want it to close to the motor/belt. We also wanted room for a bigger turbo. To be honest we had planed on it being a lil closer, but were not pros. Basicly it ended up moving forward I think a half inch. Since we were already planing a radiator at that point, it didnt matter much to us. Even though I think Im gonna re-make the crossover next year, we still were planing ahead for a larger turbo.

Originally Posted by K99Raptor
You know, you've officially convinced me to do a turbo build. So you can now say you're an inspiration. I've also subscribed to the thread and I'm looking forward to future updates.

BTW, You can't use the AC with the truck manifolds can you? I just keep thinking that I read that it's not possible. If not, I'll have to think of other routes. The wifey will never let me take the ac out.
Well Im gald were an inspiration, thats bad *** It really isnt as hard as people would think, espically if you or someone you knows can weld. Just rember to plan well and think ahead of what youre working on. What I mean by that is when placing the turbo for example you have to rember that all the piping has to clear, and the radiator, and hoses ect. But we just took our time (even though it may not seem like it) and thought it ALL out. If you read the descriptions for the gallery, it says something about it not all fitting. We had a friend who was concerned that we didnt think about all the piping when we placed the turbo, but we had thought about it for a long time before we put it where it is. You can actually see there are pics with the turbo placed facing the other way. When we got into it a lil more, we figured out that it wasnt going to work for us, but we figured it out early because we were thinking ahead.

You cant keep the AC with the truck manifolds But that dosent mean you cant just make youre own manifolds

Sean
Old 02-03-2008, 10:01 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by K99Raptor

Pretty much what broke Ef said. People have said that you could make a manifold for the passanger side, and use a truck mani for the driver side, but if your already making 1, why not make 2, right?

Only issues i really see with keeping ac, is the dp would have to go on the driverside, or under k member, which would mean you will have to get a k member(like the bmr turbo one), and possibly get rid of abs. Getting rid of power steering would also help, but not a must. We ran our dp on the driverside side because im planning on getting a k member, and it all just seemed like it worked better that way, and we could keep it further away from the motor.

Thanks, Chris
Old 02-03-2008, 10:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Are those mild steel pipes or SS pipes ,just wondering cause you using a mig welder right .

And where did you get the pipes from

Looks good guys
Old 02-03-2008, 10:22 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by fenix999
Again pretty much what brokeef said. Ill just add a little.

For the charge pipe going to tb, we saw about 3 ways of doing it. 1 way was 90 right out of tb, 90 down to below fram rail, 90 under fram rail, 90 towards from of car, 90 into IC. Thats 5 90's and a longer pipe. bends equal restriction's, not alot since there all mandrel, but the straighter the better.

Next way was 90 out of tb, 90 down where all the wires, and relays are, 90 towards from of car, 90 into ic. This is still 4 90's, and more straight pipe, and we would have to deal with moving the relay's some. Thats alot of wires, and then we might have clearance issues with the hood.

Lastly was the way we did it.it seems to be the best option. As far as the 90 goes out of the tb, its pretty much what everyone does, so i cant see it being to big of a deal. And the 90 out of the tb is acting as 2 bends, because it 90's out, and we have it turned down @ a 45, so we used 3 90's, and 1 45, least amount of bends and least amount of pipe.

WHen you said the charge pipe is so large, did u mean diameter? its only 3 inch pipe, or did u mean length wise? it has to go to the ic, and there is really no shorter way, that we could see.

As far as the radiator goes we are cutting up the support.
The radiator is a griffen 3 inch 2 core thats 27 long, and 15 high. It will be a stand up radiator which is freeing up alot of room. If we go where we think, it will be 2 inches away from the closet part of turbo which is charge side. We were also going to use 2 12 inch pusher fans, there not really going to fit, because of how wide they are, so were now gonna use 2 10 inch pushers. we should still have over 2,000 cfm, and with a much better radiator i dont see cooling being a problem. If you check out this thread you can see where we got our ideas for the radiator, and what some people have done.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/695288-those-who-moved-radiator-up-verticle-here.html

As far as the turbo close to the motor, turbo's get really damn hot, so the little bit further away is a good thing i think, plus the closer to the motor, it would of made our dp routing more of an issue, and yes we plan to put a bigger turbo sooner or later and a gt45 or so should fit easily how we have it.

Thanks, Chris
Old 02-03-2008, 10:29 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by CamaroSS19
Are those mild steel pipes or SS pipes ,just wondering cause you using a mig welder right .

And where did you get the pipes from

Looks good guys

Pipes are all mild steel. mainly because it was cheaper, and screw ups dont cost as much, even though we didn't waste much. before we started making this kit in mild, we are planning on remaking it out of ss.
We are using a mig welder, and the place i got the pipes from isn't a sponser, but i was refered to them by someone off the board and they prices, and customer service is great. If you want pm me, and i can get you a link.

Thanks, Chris
Old 02-03-2008, 11:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sideways240sx
Pipes are all mild steel. mainly because it was cheaper, and screw ups dont cost as much, even though we didn't waste much. before we started making this kit in mild, we are planning on remaking it out of ss.
We are using a mig welder, and the place i got the pipes from isn't a sponser, but i was refered to them by someone off the board and they prices, and customer service is great. If you want pm me, and i can get you a link.

Thanks, Chris
Thanks for the info PM sent

Quick Reply: My build - Lots of pics