Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

APSs warranty police GOOD or BAD ???????

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 528 Likes on 372 Posts

If you want to see a fucked up warranty, my GZ vacuum pump on my GTO is fully warrantied for RACE use only. Street use specifically voids the warranty. I can't think of any other part like that. Realistically, I am happy to see ANY warranty on hot-rodding parts. Most just tell you up front you are SOL if something breaks.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by barnat
So what your saying is ,If im in iraq! And my family all puts in for a APS kit for me for my home coming present,And its my sister who actually purchased on her credit card and I come home! This thing is sitting there in the UNOPENED BOX??? I shouldn't be able to take pictures and have a performance shop verifiy and install this new kit for me? I still should not get a warrenty??In a situation like this,What should someone do!OR what can they do!Or should my sister send it back to APS and then let APS reship back to me??The reason I brought this up is because a lot of guys have relized what it cost to go FI after receiving there kits and sell there brand new kits! Should they send back to APS and take a shipping & restocking hit or sell to someone else?AND LET APS KNOW WHO IS BUYING IT with all of the buyers info!!!!And thats still a kit that APS has ((marketed!!!!))to the community guy! It would be nice is all I'm saying in situations like this, Being a brand new product unopened and verifiable threw a performance shop.Being resold !!Shoulden't be a problem for APS to do!If ever an acception to the rule,this one I feel would be it!!Just my opinion !!And like I said peter from APS allready said to let him know if i was missing anything or if I had ANY problem to let him know!!Im talking about APS as a company doing this for there customers that may have to sell right after receiving because of personal reasons!!Like days after receiving guy!!Not weeks or months here!!! PS, And by doing this for customers within a week of receiving would only lesson the chances of somthing coming back under warrenty if being profesionally installed!! The customer on somthing this exspensive should have a week after receiving as a buffer exspecially if wanting to buy for somone as a gift or present!
Not having transferable warranties is just a way shops can get rid of one more customers' possible headache if something breaks. They know the kit is perfect, but they get to wash their hands of you now. If the original customer installed the kit they would still be in the hook to honor their warranty.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

LOL!!Here one!!What should happen after buying a 6K or 7K and before the kit comes somones hits you and totals your car!! Should APS take back your kit minus shipping and restocking ? or let you give them a name of someone you know that wants to buy it from you which at that time you would give APS the new buyers name and info IM TALKING NIB stuff here guys within a week of delivery Or should APS say this is on you dude,Do whatever you want with this NIB kit but nobody else will ever be warrented(( BUT YOU!!??)) Have fun trying to sell bud !!even though we delivered to you 3 days ago. Think about it! This **** CAN and will happen to someone on this site I"M SURE OF IT!!How would APS make out better?? Telling the guy your **** out of luck!!or telling him If unopened and professionally installed and verifiable threw the shop and BRAND NEW !! Give us the name and we will transfer for you!NOW CRACKER!!!If this happens to you would you still be saying NO WARRANTY LOL!! If done within a week of delivery???,I dont see how APS would loose Here!!Its makes it easyer on everybody!! the original buyer that dosent have to eat a 6K kit because somebody T boned him. And the new buyer knowing that hes buying a warrented BRAND NEW KIT if he has it proffesionally installed And APS!! that doesnt have to restock one of there kits(( This whole thing guys is a what if!!How would you want to be treated))
Old 02-04-2008, 10:46 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by needadvice
Not having transferable warranties is just a way shops can get rid of one more customers' possible headache if something breaks. They know the kit is perfect, but they get to wash their hands of you now. If the original customer installed the kit they would still be in the hook to honor their warranty.
If a kit is installed by anyone other than APS why should they be liable for anything other than part failure?

Any business wont stay in business long if they give things away for free.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I havnt heard of any problems with the APS kits. After purchasing a F-Body TT kit and a complete APS Fuel System i have had no problems. I wouldnt purchase anywhere else! These kits are insane! Money well spent! APS has great customer service...I dont know why everyone is so paranoid?
Old 02-05-2008, 09:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by cracker
If a kit is installed by anyone other than APS why should they be liable for anything other than part failure?

Any business wont stay in business long if they give things away for free.
This works both ways as well.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:38 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zlover129
I'm sure they planned for it to happen once and only once ...
I'm guessing you didn't read it either when Peter typed this

Originally Posted by peter@aps
Darren, I just read your post and I'm sad to see the damaged turbocharger. In my experience the turbo damage was caused by the Compressor cover to centre bearing snap ring being disloged from the compresor cover which would cause the comp wheel to jam up on the cocked comp cover. Unfortunately, if you operate the engine in this condition you will cause significant further damage to the turbocharger. The comp cover snap ring can be partially or fully dislodged if the comp cover clocking is altered without first removing the snap ring.

In any event this type of turbo damage is not covered by warranty as the damage is not caused by a defective part imo. That said, as a gesture of good will APS will replace the turbocharger though you will need to cover the freight costs. Please pm me to arrange details.

It's important to state that changing the clocking on the comp cover or center bearing housing without first removing the snap ring could cause the snap ring to be disloged from the comp cover.

This turbo damage will not be covered under warranty in the future so please be very careful if you need to reclock the turbocharger for any reason.

A happy new year to all,

Peter
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=115
Old 02-05-2008, 10:12 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,207 Likes on 773 Posts

It's not unusual for warranties to be non-transferable, though contacting the MFR beforehand and letting them know you bought a kit and would like to keep in touch is not a bad idea.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
I'm guessing you didn't read it either when Peter typed this

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....&postcount=115
If you were referencing the warrranty coverage only happening once then that is true, i though you were saying that the malfunction was promised to only happen once.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:55 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by zlover129
If you were referencing the warrranty coverage only happening once then that is true, i though you were saying that the malfunction was promised to only happen once.
Maybe you should go back and re-read my original post. The first sentence says

Even if your turbo came apart and you had bought it new from APS, they wouldn't warranty it anyways.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you bad mouth a company before a product fails, they won't have much desire to do a good will repair if out of warranty

I choose to buy a quality product at a great price.

Ryan
Old 02-05-2008, 04:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Aps

Originally Posted by needadvice
LOL!!!Very true I didn't think of it that way!!Thanks guy!And like I said before I talked with peter from APS and hes all right in my book Cool *** dude!He's more or less said that if I needed ANYTHING! To let him know.That right there!! Is a guy thats standing behind his product!!100%

Last edited by barnat; 02-05-2008 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Aps

Originally Posted by DanDan
I havnt heard of any problems with the APS kits. After purchasing a F-Body TT kit and a complete APS Fuel System i have had no problems. I wouldnt purchase anywhere else! These kits are insane! Money well spent! APS has great customer service...I dont know why everyone is so paranoid?
Dude its all good! Im happy as **** to own this kit next to my INCON that I just sold!!LOL!!!Was just getting some food for thought on the subject!You'de have to pry this kit from my dead fingers LOL!!!Just got it today and WOW !!I was REALLY impressed with the whole kit as a whole .Nice stuff APS
Old 02-05-2008, 04:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea, the kit is very nice stuff

I can't wait to get mine installed (maybe end of month stupid wedding to go to next weekend

Ryan
Old 02-05-2008, 05:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DanDan
Did you get everything in your fuel kit? I bought the fuel system and it's missing the male plug for the fuel bucket. I sent APS an E-mail, with pics, and they responded, with,

The male end is the standard plug that is already on the vehicle. We only supply the female end.

Best regards,

Ben Shaw

APS Engineering
I'm waiting on a new plug and wires to rewire it, since i can't get a response from Ben.