Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Its back! TT Trans Am

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 10:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Its back! TT Trans Am

Welp, my baby has been done for a week now, and i'm just finally getting around to putting it on here...
Some might remember that when I got it done last time, on the 1.5 hour drive home something bad happened... most jumped to the conclusion that at 12.0:1 we ran it too lean and it detonated, lifting the head...

Well, fortunately that wasn't the case... When the original builder built the oiling system for the turbos, he didnt use lines that were even close to large enough, and over time, this starved the turbos of oil and made them overheat - this confirmed by Precision themselves.... he refuses to take responsibility for it, so once everything is buttoned up, we'll be taking it to higher authority, but that's all besides the point...

As suggested by many on here, including MM, during the downtime of getting two brand new turbos put on the car, i installed a Snow Performance meth injection kit - only to be used as a safety barrier, not a performance adder...

Quick Specs (if more info is requested, i'll add):
Custom built Twin turbo 348" LS1 with twin 58mm precision journal bearing turbos

this dyno run is on 13.7psi, 12* of timing, and A/F of 11.0:1, spraying 50/50 meth/water.....
***we setup the tune so that if i'm a jackass and forget to fill the meth resevoir, it will not lean out anymore than 11.6-11.7:1

697.56/706.16 rwhp/rwtq
Attached Thumbnails Its back! TT Trans Am-dynograph.jpg  

Last edited by SonofaBish; 02-15-2008 at 10:43 AM. Reason: spelling/grammar issues
Old 02-15-2008, 10:42 AM
TECH Regular

Obviously with how rich it is, and how little timing we have in there, there is A LOT of power left in the tune, but i purposely wanted it left very conservative...

I began this build as a budget build, and that didnt work out so well, so i really want this thing to last a long time...

A little bit of tuning is still needed for basic putting aroudn the street (a little rich at times), but other than that, she's ready to hit the street in the spring!!! I've driven it around a bit, and its an awesome car!! The scariest part is that its deceptively fast... the torque builds so linearly, that it just keeps pulling and pulling and pulling, and before you know it, you've just gone from 50-150 in an instant

Last edited by SonofaBish; 02-15-2008 at 10:47 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-15-2008, 10:51 AM
10 Second Club

good job
Old 02-15-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

badass dude. I cant wait to check your car out.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
badass dude. I cant wait to check your car out.
Yea man, i was hoping u'd see this.... We'll definitely have to meet up a bunch once the weather gets better.... Damn Punxy Phil!
Old 02-15-2008, 11:47 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice!
Old 02-15-2008, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SonofaBish
Obviously with how rich it is, and how little timing we have in there, there is A LOT of power left in the tune, but i purposely wanted it left very conservative...

I began this build as a budget build, and that didnt work out so well, so i really want this thing to last a long time...

A little bit of tuning is still needed for basic putting aroudn the street (a little rich at times), but other than that, she's ready to hit the street in the spring!!! I've driven it around a bit, and its an awesome car!! The scariest part is that its deceptively fast... the torque builds so linearly, that it just keeps pulling and pulling and pulling, and before you know it, you've just gone from 50-150 in an instant
Can you run an engine too rich that damage takes place? Just curious.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by needadvice
Yeah, if its rich enough its washing the oil off the cylinder below the oil control rings. Then you are also diluting your oil with gasoline. Its usually a retarded burning your eyes kind of rich, like 79lb/hr injectors on stock fuel map.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:34 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by needadvice
I'm sure that eventually you can, but when i'm talking too rich, i don't mean anything outrageous like that.... I'm talking like when the you are decelerating using engine braking, its putting too much fuel in...
Old 02-15-2008, 12:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Yea man, i was hoping u'd see this.... We'll definitely have to meet up a bunch once the weather gets better.... Damn Punxy Phil!
Yea we defiantely will. Buying a house though isnt going to help me get mine done any sooner

Any idea what the SAE numbers are?
Old 02-15-2008, 12:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'm sure that eventually you can, but when i'm talking too rich, i don't mean anything outrageous like that.... I'm talking like when the you are decelerating using engine braking, its putting too much fuel in...
It shouldn't put any fuel in when engine braking. Nice build/numbers btw, looks like an awsome street car.
Old 02-15-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
Yea we defiantely will. Buying a house though isnt going to help me get mine done any sooner

Any idea what the SAE numbers are?
nope.....

good luck on the house!
Originally Posted by Drew04GTO
It shouldn't put any fuel in when engine braking. Nice build/numbers btw, looks like an awsome street car.
yea, i kinda thought that as well.... i dont know all the specifics... he explained it to me but it was all a bunch of mumbo-jumbo that didnt sink in well ... maybe next time it will... i think that next week we'll get that all finished up....

it got done just in time for the snow! yay!
Old 02-15-2008, 12:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah, I didn't mean enough to wash the cylinders.

So I see, you can purposely run it with a certain amount of reasonable richness all the time to keep the engine safe and help longevity.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

very nice i enjoyed folowing your build thread
Old 02-16-2008, 10:35 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by reject
very nice i enjoyed folowing your build thread
thanks man....

Quick Reply: Its back! TT Trans Am