Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Whipple kit for a vette inside

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought a BOV was a valve that would start venting above a certain internal pressure, also called a Pop-Off valve or safety valve? Bypass valve just gives an alternate path upon meeting certain vacuum/boost conditions.

Wikipedia says this:

A compressor bypass valve (CBV) also known as a compressor relief valve is a vacuum-actuated valve designed to release pressure in the intake system of a turbocharged or centrifugally supercharged car when the throttle is lifted or closed. This air pressure is re-circulated back into the non-pressurized end of the intake (before the turbo) but after the mass airflow sensor.

A blowoff valve, (BOV, sometimes hooter valve, dump valve) does basically the same thing, but releases the air to the atmosphere. This creates a very distinctive sound desired by many who own turbocharged sports cars. Some blowoff valves are sold with trumpet shaped exits that amplify the "psssshhh" sound, as not all bov's are the same, some make different noises and these designs are normally marketed towards the tuner crowd.

So they're just saying that if it dumps to the open air it is a BOV, if it get recirculated it is a Bypass, and that a Pop-Off valve is something completely different. Hmm.

Jim
Old 01-06-2009, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, well, with turbos this is important to keep the spool up... recirculating it back... but in a supercharged car, its useless. Infact, its bad, your putting hot compressed air back into the inlet side, to heat and compress it further... no need for this at all. You do want a blow off valve of some sort so that when you let off the throttle, it gives air some place to escape, its easier on the blower, and your throttle body, and makes on off throttle driving MUCH smoother. A popoff valve is not linked to the vacume/pressure status of the intake manifold... a popoff should be used to limit top end pressure so that your motor is not pushed past its limit if the supercharger can exceed it. These also come in handy if you change altitues like start in denver and go to texas, your going to make tons more boost in TX than when you tuned your car in denver up in the mountains.

As far as these blowers go, im looking to find the one that makes the LEAST NOISE... if anyone has experience with them, please let me know. I would not buy a kit, i enjoy doing the plumbing myself, i just need this blower type that sets off to the side and not on top of the motor. Could someone post up links of where each of these blowers are found without the actuall kits. Ill do some looking myself.
Old 01-07-2009, 05:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think Whipple will sell you one. As far as noise. They are all noisy at boost.

Quick Reply: Whipple kit for a vette inside