Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Isn't a boost referenced fuel regulator a must?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 07:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

turns out the famed 'cas' regulator was a kirban regulator all along.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:56 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I should have asked here also. I just posted a similar question in the fueling/injection section. I asked about 1 or 2 pumps under 600rwhp and only 8 psi. Lonnie(sponser) basically said 1 for under 550, but several others are saying br fpr, return lines, BAP, and 2 pumps. After reading this I think I'll try an areomotive compact non-br with my hot wire kit and one GSSS340 pump. Then if it needs more I'll start adding.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:33 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by deadmanTA
I should have asked here also. I just posted a similar question in the fueling/injection section. I asked about 1 or 2 pumps under 600rwhp and only 8 psi. Lonnie(sponser) basically said 1 for under 550, but several others are saying br fpr, return lines, BAP, and 2 pumps. After reading this I think I'll try an areomotive compact non-br with my hot wire kit and one GSSS340 pump. Then if it needs more I'll start adding.
I'm still running an aeromotive compact regulator with the big magnafuel pump, they say its good for 1000hp and I believe them.

Most regulators come with a boost reference port, if you dont hook it up it doesnt hurt anything.

A single pump and external regulator using the vent line as a return got me in the 9s, then I switched to dual intank pumps and that helped, then I switched out the stock feed to a -8 and used the stock feed line for a return and that helped more, then finally ended up with an aftermarket tank and big inline pump. I really hate to use rwhp numbers because some guy in colorado with a big correction factor and a 10 bolt M6 might make 750 corrected on a dynojet with a single pump and another guy with the same setup with a 9" and an auto at sea level may make 500 max on a single walbro. Use your injector DC, wideband and fuel pressure as a guide unless you just start with a killer fuel system to begin with.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thats why guys up here a mile high should never POST CORRECTED (False) numbers. On our local board damn near everyone lists corrected numbers in their sig
Old 03-07-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Ditto, a car makes what it makes, no correction.

especially since FI cars are not an accurate "correction" when you are talking altitude, since they provide thier own

Ryan
Old 03-07-2008, 11:23 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Thats why guys up here a mile high should never POST CORRECTED (False) numbers. On our local board damn near everyone lists corrected numbers in their sig
Yea, thats how guys make 800rwhp with 42lb injectors and single in-tank pumps. I go to bristol once a year when its 90 out (5000' DA or so) just to pay homage to our high altitude friends
Old 03-07-2008, 12:13 PM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by kp
Yea, thats how guys make 800rwhp with 42lb injectors and single in-tank pumps. I go to bristol once a year when its 90 out (5000' DA or so) just to pay homage to our high altitude friends
You're welcome anytime to the "House of Pain".
Old 03-07-2008, 03:05 PM
Staging Lane

I feel compelled to put my opinion in here for some reason.......

<550 HP and you should be fine with a single intank and 42lb injectors.

I'm in FL, and my uncorrected numbers are around 500/525.

I'm using a single racetronix w/ the hotwire kit, and precision 42lb/hr injectors. Car makes just over 7.5psi at the intake w/ the APS TT kit. I have no problems w/ leaning out @ high RPM's and my tuner seemed to think it was a piece of cake to tune.

Just my .02
Old 03-07-2008, 09:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is my .02 as well.

First the 550rwhp is a safe number. Almost everyone can make it to 550rwhp & about half can see 600rwhp without a booster, but I cannot recommend this as it is my reputation if I sell an undersized pump.

As far as using RWHP, I do not like it, but in reality very few have their engines on an engine dyno... so there is not much other choice than to try & relate the pump size to RWHP. I take the dyno brand, geographical location, trans & rearend type into account when I discuss actual configurations with customers. Nitrous, supercharger & turbo cars are all different as well.

As far as boost referencing, it is less important with a large injector because there is ample reserve capacity. Using a smaller injector with high boost will surely limit the power capacity of an injector.

For example, a 60# injector (rated at 43.5psi) is a 70# flow equivalent at 58psi. Add 15# boost & you are back to the flow of a 60# injector without a boost reference. The boost reference will enable you to support roughly an additional 150hp with the same injector.

If you are running 96# injectors, you can run 43psi base pressure as well to make it easier on the fuel pump & still not worry about running out of injector until you are over 1000hp.

KP, since you are running one of those "red" regulators, I can understand your inconsistent results with it. (I'm trying to be gentle with my opinion, but trying to prevent others some unnecessary grief) I get about 1 call per month with boost reference problems when using that brand.... but don't blame me, I don't sell them. I've had very consistent results with Magnafuel & Weldon regulators in boost reference applications if anyone wants a recommendation.

Just a few items to think about.
Old 03-07-2008, 09:39 PM
Coal Mining Director

Many ways to do it. I'm using a Weldon FPR and it's dead on boost referenced. I've done it with/without boost reference, with high imp and low imp, with/without front mounted FPR.....boost reference works well, but is not necessary if you have plenty of injector.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:02 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lonnies Performance

KP, since you are running one of those "red" regulators, I can understand your inconsistent results with it. (I'm trying to be gentle with my opinion, but trying to prevent others some unnecessary grief) I get about 1 call per month with boost reference problems when using that brand.... but don't blame me, I don't sell them. I've had very consistent results with Magnafuel & Weldon regulators in boost reference applications if anyone wants a recommendation.

Just a few items to think about.
Its possible, the compact regulator has a pretty small chamber and diaphragm and I'm probably beyond what it was made to do, but since I dont boost reference it really doesnt matter.

As far as the rwhp, even though you may take driveline and elevation into consideration when making a recommendation most dont when passing that recommendation on. So I'm just reminding people why throwing rwhp numbers around can hurt you sometimes with fuel systems, not implying you were doing anything wrong.
Old 03-07-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 478 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by frcefed98
I suppose since the OP's question was already answered, it's OK to keep this partly off-topic. You and KP are exactly right. I have seen some totally outlandish claims of what a fuel system can support because the dyno run was done at a stratospheric DA with 30 or 40% correction applied. This is particularly troubling with a lot of magazines, because some people treat magazine articles as gospel. A perfect example was a article about a GTO last year that claimed over 750rwhp with a stock pump and 42# injectors. This also applies to 1/4 mile corrections, as it is a lot easier to hook when you are significantly down on power, but correct to standard #'s.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:31 AM
TECH Regular

so simple..a boost ref regulator isent need in most aplications

ie
stock motor, 5-7psi, 42lbs injectors and a 255 intank
Old 03-08-2008, 09:58 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 94m6Z28
so simple..a boost ref regulator isent need in most aplications

ie
stock motor, 5-7psi, 42lbs injectors and a 255 intank
Yes,
For this level, boost referencing is hardly worthwhile. 7# boost only has an approx 6% effect on the injector flow in your application.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:09 AM
Banned

can a boost referenced regulator be used in conjunction with a stock 98 regulator in the tank ?

if so, how would one install the regulator ? on the return line in the rear section of the vehicle ?

currently my 98 has a built motor, cam, T70 turbo with 60 lb mototron and 255 hp racetronix fuel, and meth kit im trying to make sure i wont max the fuel setup out on the dyno.
Old 03-09-2008, 03:57 AM
On The Tree

I have plenty of fuel from the pump. 60lb injecters, bigger fuel rail. Aiming for 11-14 psi boost. I have no regulater as of now so I need to buy one. Probally will just get a 1:1 unit and possible not use the boost hookup, I'll let my tuner decide. What are the problems with the "red" ones. I think I was gonig to get a red one....
Old 03-09-2008, 09:53 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

You cannot use a front mount regulator in conjunction with a rear mount factory regulator.

Also, the reason to use a pressure regulator is to control the pressure where it matters.... at the engine. Mounting it at the rear of the car is not the way to do that. To work properly, it needs to be on the fuel rail.

I've had problems with the "red" ones boost referencing properly in the double digit boost levels.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
I A perfect example was a article about a GTO last year that claimed over 750rwhp with a stock pump and 42# injectors. This also applies to 1/4 mile corrections, as it is a lot easier to hook when you are significantly down on power, but correct to standard #'s.
If this GTO was in Vegas it makes the artical even funnier since the car is from make believe land. No one has ever seen the car run at the track or anywhere else for that matter. Not to mention none of his combo / track info matches.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:31 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 478 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by Zombie
If this GTO was in Vegas it makes the artical even funnier since the car is from make believe land. No one has ever seen the car run at the track or anywhere else for that matter. Not to mention none of his combo / track info matches.
I'm sure we are talking about the same car with the fucked up looking flame paint job.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gametech
I'm sure we are talking about the same car with the fucked up looking flame paint job.
bingo. Pretty messed up that they ran the artical that is clearly BS and easily called out as such by looking at the fuel system/turbo stats and what the claimed ET/MPH are.

Quick Reply: Isn't a boost referenced fuel regulator a must?