Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

question about liquid in my catchcan

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 02:01 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default question about liquid in my catchcan

hey there... my camaro has been my daily driver for the past couple of weeks, and i was wondering about why my catchcan fills up with yellow liquid every week? i have been having to empty the can out once a week, but i never see any oil in it. there is just the yellow liquid and some milky white/yellow substance that drains out from the can. is there a problem with my motor or something? i do let the car idle in the mornings for a good 5 mins or so to warm up, could this be a reason? thanks for the input guys!
Old 03-08-2008, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

It is nomal, usualy if it is very humid there is a certain amount of condensation, and the fact that the oil is in a mist form so when it mixes with the water it turns white.

As lond as there is no water in the oil, or oil in the radiator, then you should be fine.
Old 03-08-2008, 05:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,301 Posts

bingo...condensation.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I would say it's might be more than condensation. You might have a head gasket problem there. Check your oil fill cap and see if there is any milky like substance in there. Then check your coolant level in both your radiator as well as the resevoir. Just because your radiator is full, it might still be pulling from the resevoir.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:08 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,743 Likes on 1,301 Posts

the oil cap and the lines going to the catch can come from the same source, ie valvecover.
if hes missing coolant then i agree but otherwise its just condensation.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do you run a P.C.V. system? If not it sure helps evacuate contaminants that form sludge out of the crankcase.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:34 PM
10 Second Club

well i got some time to have a look at the car. I pulled both the oil cap, and radiator cap, and the fluids looked ok... Oil is getting black, and the coolant is still red.... I dont know how to check the overflow tank, so i didnt do that.. i am still getting like a shotglass full of liquid every week. It isnt very humid here yet, but the weather has been nice (~70*) which is why i have been driving it more than normal. I was just concerned because this hasnt happened before...

oh and i do run a pcv system with a breather. Both valvecovers are tied to the catchcan, which then connects to the intake.... and one of the valvecovers is also vented with a breather.

so it is normal to have this much condensation?

car seems to run fine... a little rich, but runs ok. i havent gone WOT since i noticed this tho....
Old 03-12-2008, 08:00 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Only an ounce or two from a week of driving? I wouldn't sweat it since all of your fluids seem topped off and normal color. We should meet up and you should take me for a ride at WOT so I can diagnose your issue lol! My damn POS has been down for like 8 months!

Quick Reply: question about liquid in my catchcan