Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Best Supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lynnyrd
I have a 99 Camaro Z28 and i have a lot of plans for it including supercharging it eventually. I was wondering in your opinion what is the best type of supercharger to go with? Centrifugal, Roots, or Screw? I was looking at the Magnacharger MP112 Hybrid Roots but i read on Wikipedia that a roots supercharger is only 40-50% efficient and a centrifugal supercharger is 70-80% efficient. In the end I wanna be able to kick my buddy and his 300ZX with twin turbo (upgraded) in the *** no problem other suggestions on that topic too are welcome. (or should i go with a turbo? supercharger sounds more fun from what ive heard)
Did you even browse through the FI section yet? Every question you could possibly think of has already been asked and answered in depth over there. Also make sure you read the stickies which go into detail about how much you can expect to spend to do the whole setup right the first time.

And my personal opinion would be the procharger.
Old 03-14-2008, 12:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Well depends on what it is you are willing to spend, and what is important to you. By all means there was a time when you could say one is "the" best to get. So much has changed and alot of what has changed destroys alot of myths. So now its not what is "the best", its more like what is "best for your needs". A D1 is capabile of getting you over 600 RWHP. Maggie will get you in the upper 500's. A maggie making 500 RWHP will make alot more torque then a 500 RWHP D1 or P1. But either way you go its a good blower.

First of all Whipple and KB do not make kits for the F Body. They do make kits for LS1's in Hot Rods, Corvette's and Silverado series. But neither will fit in the F Body. Search in the F/I section no one has installed either (into a F Body) so that is already out of the question. LM Speed has come up with way to make the C5 Maggie fit. Magnacharger does not make a kit specifically for the F Body.

What are you willing to spend? What power do you want to make? Procharger is a good product its a good general purpose supercharger. I had on in my C5. Its fun. But for me in the twisty roads of Kentucky here, it made its boost and power too high in the RPM's, same reason why I did not go with a high radical cam. Making peak power Torque or HP in the upper RPM's was not what I needed. Making power down low is what was "best for me". I think you get the idea.

Last edited by bd mnky; 03-14-2008 at 01:55 PM.
Old 03-14-2008, 01:27 PM
TECH Veteran

One more thing. Just increaseing the Procharger to a bigger one costs alot of money to support and make it happen. The F series does not just fit in where the D1SC use to go. Things have to be cut and modified. Yea it can be easy but depending on the series type you get could be minor modification to major. I can sell my Magnacharger to get some of my money back and buy a F1R setup and forged bottom end and its not going to cost me much more then if someone does it with a P1 or D1 kit. If you think you can just upgrade a stock block with a D1SC kit to a F1R and save so much more over any other kit is mistaken. The blower alone starts around 3300 for a F1A, F1R is around 3700. Not to mention the rest of the kit, the forged bottom end, the clutch to support it (min $1,000 for a good clutch to hold the power), the rear end, the heads, the cam the intake system. Buying a procharger saying it will benifit later with a bigger kit is like buying a chevy Cobalt saying I can upgrade to a Corvette later, so why buy anything other then a Chevy. Fact is once you get above what the Maggie makes, the Prochargers (D1 or P1), Vortech's, Single Turbo, Twin Turbo and what ever else its not going to be any cheaper. Period.
Old 05-07-2008, 12:57 AM
Staging Lane

Procharger definitely. ii have one for sale from my 2001 trans am. stock motor with headers and exhaust and procharger only car put down 525 RWHP!!!!! if interested let me know. this system is sick. when you floor it, good luck getting your head offf the seat.
Old 05-07-2008, 08:28 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

procharger its the easiest on parts, and makes a great deal of power... I love it!

TexasSignature2002 and i have alot in common.. I have a stock bottom end, with stock heads, and puts down 543rwhp!!!!
Old 05-07-2008, 08:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Id personally say a maggie or turbo, just look at the dynograph for a maggie, its nut! Instant power/torque! Prochargers are popular though and will get lots of support on this site, check out the fi section

OR a turbonator
Old 05-07-2008, 09:45 AM
Teching In

I really like the APS Twin Turbo. Has a very clean looking install too.

http://www.airpowersystems.com/fbody/tt.htm
Old 05-07-2008, 10:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Um, one vote for H/C/N2O! Just my .02, but you won't have any trouble with your friends 300zx. If you have a stock shortblock, you can only take it so far anyway. Yea, procharger is great if the engine can handle the boost. But it is cheaper, and more reliable to get a good set of heads, mid-sized cam, and slap a dry shot on there. If it's a 98, make SURE you swap out the rod bolts with ARPs.

Two of the posters above have prochargers making around 550 on stock bottom end. If my car wasn't a DD (and i wasn't scared to spray the 100 shot that i have installed), Id be right there with them for less money. I will be the first to admit that FI is the way to go if you want to go BIG, however it isn't for everyone. OP, H/C/N2O will reach your goals cheaper and more reliably IMO.
Old 05-07-2008, 11:12 AM
TECH Resident

maggie or procharger gets my vote, talk to LM speed see if they can upgrade the kit to mp122 and u'll be over the 500whp and tq imo. and you'll have lots more potential if u ever forge ur motor or go bigger cubes
Old 05-07-2008, 11:14 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by 93redBIRDman
Anyone who's been in a supercharged AND turboed cars will say that turbo is the way to go AND way more fun, BUT also WAAY more expensive. Anyways, I'd say be unique and go with the roots blower. Super badass, power at any rpm. I believe magnuson sells one, whipple too possibly
yea turbos are better in terms of numbers but a supercharger is a lot more reliable and procharger is probably the best supercharger out there for our cars IMO
Old 05-07-2008, 06:30 PM

ATI Procharger
Old 05-07-2008, 07:44 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

I would go with a procharger
Old 10-30-2008, 02:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by landonew
Um, one vote for H/C/N2O! Just my .02, but you won't have any trouble with your friends 300zx. If you have a stock shortblock, you can only take it so far anyway. Yea, procharger is great if the engine can handle the boost. But it is cheaper, and more reliable to get a good set of heads, mid-sized cam, and slap a dry shot on there. If it's a 98, make SURE you swap out the rod bolts with ARPs.

Two of the posters above have prochargers making around 550 on stock bottom end. If my car wasn't a DD (and i wasn't scared to spray the 100 shot that i have installed), Id be right there with them for less money. I will be the first to admit that FI is the way to go if you want to go BIG, however it isn't for everyone. OP, H/C/N2O will reach your goals cheaper and more reliably IMO.
I'll agree with this statement since this is the route I'm going.

But since the OP asked for which supercharger. Procharger has the best rep bar none.

Good luck on your build.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:45 AM
Banned

ProCharger!!!!!
Old 10-30-2008, 05:55 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=798

Link to our complete ATI ProCharger D-1SC/F-1A kit price. Give me a call this week for an even lower price on this kit! Bob
Old 10-30-2008, 09:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

PRO CHARGER.Except no subsitutes.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:42 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLNLS1/RX7
PRO CHARGER.Except no subsitutes.
this man is right!! just call Bob @EPP and you will be good to go!

Quick Reply: Best Supercharger?