Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

$11K to spend......

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 01:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Whatever you think it will cost double it and you should be ok.
Old 03-16-2008, 02:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

lol. ^ that's what someone else said on a local forum, and I told him then I'd be looking at a $34,000 build once I doubled my estimate for 650RWHP. so there is a contradiction. however, your point of saying that (moral:it's going to cost more than you think) is very true.

good luck whatever you decide!
Old 03-16-2008, 06:30 AM
On The Tree

Can anyone tell me why the front mount intercooler from EPP is better than the twin high flow intercoolers? I am assuming more cooling area, but I remember with my 3rd gen, trying to get the twin intercoolers from ATI, but they wouldn't offer it. I know the standard 3-core caused some cooling problems, because it blocked the radiator. Not sure if this is still the case with 4th gens?
Old 03-16-2008, 08:24 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Pinky93
Can anyone tell me why the front mount intercooler from EPP is better than the twin high flow intercoolers? I am assuming more cooling area, but I remember with my 3rd gen, trying to get the twin intercoolers from ATI, but they wouldn't offer it. I know the standard 3-core caused some cooling problems, because it blocked the radiator. Not sure if this is still the case with 4th gens?
More cooling area and can flow more air. Doesn't block the radiator at all, that still picks up air from the front spoiler. Talk to Bob, you can order the blower kit without the twins and get the front mount for just a little more...call him of the price.

Jon
95 Pontiac Formula- Stock engine with ATI Procharger, Moser 12 bolt w/4:30 gears, Rossler trans, Neil Chance 4000 stall, M/T ET streets, 10.914@ 121.90mph, 1.452 60ft. GMHTP November 2010 Feature Car. Check it out at:
https://www.motortrend.com/features/...ebird-formula/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abZ1z...ature=youtu.be

Old 03-16-2008, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

More area to cool than the twins, if you were to see the twins compared to the FMIC you would understand. If I were to do it again I would go with a FMIC for sure but when I got my kit from EPP it was not an option.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

id say buy a 3.8 f body for $4-6,000 save alot of gas =). Than drop the other 5k+ in a good head cam combo intake exhaust and stage 2 tranny
Old 03-16-2008, 11:17 PM
10 Second Club

I agree with the comments about building the engine, however I don't have the funds for both. I was hoping to add the boost, but be very modest with it for the present. When it is time to bump up the power, the first thing would be to build a bottom end to handle it. I am not sure at this point, whether it would be a 6.0 liter block or stay with the LS1.
this is what i wanted to do "ill stay low boost for know then add a forged bottom end" trust me man do it now that you have the $$ or it will kick you in the ***!!!!! or as least that what going on with me
Old 03-17-2008, 04:36 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by silver95
More cooling area and can flow more air. Doesn't block the radiator at all, that still picks up air from the front spoiler. Talk to Bob, you can order the blower kit without the twins and get the front mount for just a little more...call him of the price.

Jon

I have the front mount intercooler option here in place of the twin intercoolers. Bob
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=798
Old 03-17-2008, 07:01 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hard to not get a Procharger. Order it today, and in a few days you will be putting 500 rwhp around your town. I have no experience with the turbo companies but I know that for now and the future it will only be Procharger for me.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:17 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
I hard to not get a Procharger. Order it today, and in a few days you will be putting 500 rwhp around your town. I have no experience with the turbo companies but I know that for now and the future it will only be Procharger for me.
I am reading about Bob's ProCharger kit now....I like the front mount intercooler option, but curious if you need to leave the nose open, or if it cools ok from the bottom. Also, I see that it does not utilize the ProCharger aluminum air box, correct?
I could drive up, get the ProCharger installed (with the front mount intercooler) for around $9K. That would leave enough for a clutch and suspension goodies..... I wish I could afford the Moser 9"
Old 03-17-2008, 07:33 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
See pics from EPP.
Attached Thumbnails K to spend......-mikes-20trans-am-20outside-20again.jpg   K to spend......-joshua-20rifes-20trans-20am-20pic-2062.jpg  
Old 03-17-2008, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

The APS kit is awesome though too. Anyone on the board have this kit installed and want to share any experience?

More money up front than the ProCharger, I am trying to write up a Pro's & Con's list!!
Old 03-17-2008, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

save the money untill after the recession.

but if you have too...

built 402 ls2
AFR 225s
d1sc-f1a kit.
Old 03-18-2008, 02:24 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

I don't think the intercooler can be cooled from the bottom only. Unless you mount the intercooler facing down. Which some have done. Once you change to the FMIC there is no need for the Procharger plenum because the plenum has 2 inlets (because of the small twin Procharger intercoolers) and the outlet to the throttle body. All you would need with the FMIC is 1 pipe from the intercooler outlet to the throttle body.

Hope this makes sense.
Old 03-18-2008, 06:22 AM
FormerVendor

Hey All,

I have been going over the options with Rick and there is always a lot of help here. It is generally a toss up between the two as well as pros and cons to both. The plan is to run 6-7 PSI either way to keep the engine safe for now.

With the APS you can not deny the quality and fit, but the pricing, though very good compared to the corvette kits, is higher. Understood with the components used.

On the Procharger, it is a proven system and the EPP front mount is cool. The issue I have with a Procharger when going for more power is head unit bracket flex and belt slip. I have added an extra idler pulley as well as support brackets which help a lot. If you go to a larger belt width then adding a larger radiator is not an option without fabbing. I have also been able to fab in a set of twin Spal 11" fans and shroud. Of course all of these add ons add to the cost.

This is why I sway towards the APS if possible. More HP to the tires at a given boost level which means less stress on the engine at equal HP levels. If APS was not available then Procharger would be my choice.

Thanks everyone and talk to you soon Rick.

Mike Norris
Old 03-18-2008, 07:50 AM
On The Tree

All I can say is that this is an awesome board! I will keep everyone posted on what I do.

Thanks again to everyone for thier advice.....
Old 03-19-2008, 05:01 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

No system is completely trouble free, and we have had issues with the APS kits as well. On this Firehawk a turbo seal on one of the water cooled turbos was bad, and filled the crankcase with water.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=39
Luckily for us we had an electric water pump on the car, and we ran the pump before firing the engine to purge the system of air, and we checked the oil level before firing the engine up. We got very lucky on this one!

We have also had problems with the inlet hoses sucking shut, perhaps APS has this problem resolved now. Bob
Old 03-19-2008, 06:37 AM
FormerVendor

"No system is completely trouble free, and we have had issues with the APS kits as well. On this Firehawk a turbo seal on one of the water cooled turbos was bad, and filled the crankcase with water.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=39
Luckily for us we had an electric water pump on the car, and we ran the pump before firing the engine to purge the system of air, and we checked the oil level before firing the engine up. We got very lucky on this one!

We have also had problems with the inlet hoses sucking shut, perhaps APS has this problem resolved now. Bob"

Thanks for the heads up on what you have seen Bob. Knock wood there have been no such issues ith what I have seen, but I will keep an eye out for sure.

Mike Norris
Old 03-19-2008, 06:57 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

I'd say get a forged shortblock with some 6.0L heads to lower compression. This should cost you around 3500. Then sell your stock longblock and recoup some money. Once you break your engine, you won't be able to get much at all by reselling any of the parts. But you can easily get $1000 AT LEAST from your stock longblock. That drops the net cost of the forged engine to 2500. So that leaves you with 8500. Now you can buy that D1 kit and have some money left over to do at least a clutch and a few suspension mods for now and save a little more for when your 10 bolt breaks. As long as you don't put sticky tires on it, you can drive on the 10 bolt for a while until you save for a 9" or 12 bolt. .02
Old 03-19-2008, 07:05 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
I'd say get a forged shortblock with some 6.0L heads to lower compression. This should cost you around 3500. Then sell your stock longblock and recoup some money. Once you break your engine, you won't be able to get much at all by reselling any of the parts. But you can easily get $1000 AT LEAST from your stock longblock. That drops the net cost of the forged engine to 2500. So that leaves you with 8500. Now you can buy that D1 kit and have some money left over to do at least a clutch and a few suspension mods for now and save a little more for when your 10 bolt breaks. As long as you don't put sticky tires on it, you can drive on the 10 bolt for a while until you save for a 9" or 12 bolt. .02
+500 right they man

Quick Reply: $11K to spend......