Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

$11K to spend......

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default $11K to spend......

OK, I have $11K burning a hole in my pocket. I have the 2000 TA that is bone stock, right down to the air filter with about 65,000 miles on it. It is in excellent health, good performance, uses no oil, been on Mobil 1 it's whole life. And.....she is in desparate need of a clutch. ( I have already decided on the Textralia!)

I was originally going to ProCharge an IROC that I had, however that plan went south when we found the TA. So, the D1SC has been sold, now the IROC is gone too.....all to fund the new sickness.

So.... I have been reading the boards, here, there and everywhere. As I said, I was originally in the ProCharger camp, but am being swayed by the lure of the turbocharger kits, specifically the APS twin turbo kit. I am trying to list the Pro's and Con's of each and have been reading all the posts. At first, I think the ProCharger would be cheaper (somewhat), but then there is headers to consider, so that may offset it. The APS kit would require a BMR k-member, so that would put me ahead on the front end weight already.

Right now, my plans are to do the clutch and whatever forced induction kit I decide on, then beef up the car around it. I know the rearend will not live long, but it will just have to do for a while.... I will certainly not try to hook up at all. I would also plan on subframe connectors and torque arm, but again, this will have to come later. I already have some BMR boxed lower control arms, so that is good.

Also, because of the previous ProCharger course, I already have the AutoMeter Boost, Fuel Pressure and wide band O2 electric gauges. These were a major investment all by themselves!!

So, I would appreciate anyone's comments or shared experiences. I just want to make the smart choice and maintain some level of driveability. This will mainly be a street car, but will definitely see alot of track time. All conveniences will be maintained, especially the air conditioner here in Florida!! It will also be important for this car to be able to make some highway runs and reliable commuting if necessary. (Right now, I average maybe 1,000 miles a year.)

I have been talking with Mike over at Norris Motorsports about the APS kit and I have dealt with Bob up at EPP on the previous ProCharger. I am sure that I am not telling you guys anything you don't already know, but what a couple of great guys!!

I look forward to hearing from you guys, your experience will be invaluable.

Rick

Edit - Just a little history, I haven't been on this board much, but I really like what I see. I had an 02' SS and was on the SLP board alot, until it dissolved. The SS was modded with all bolt ons, but we stopped there. I sold the SS, got the IROC with intentions of modding the hell out of it, but just missed the LS1 too much. Thanks again for all of the advice and opinions in advance!

Last edited by Pinky93; 03-15-2008 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:30 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i say do an ofi single kit with a 76 if u dont plan to build the motor.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:37 AM
TECH Regular

bring on the twins !!!!!!
Old 03-15-2008, 09:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Build a great motor before anything and then decide from there.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Spade
Build a great motor before anything and then decide from there.
Yes, forged rods and the pistons (low comp) at the very least and then you can get a little crazier with power.
Old 03-15-2008, 09:49 AM
On The Tree

I agree with the comments about building the engine, however I don't have the funds for both. I was hoping to add the boost, but be very modest with it for the present. When it is time to bump up the power, the first thing would be to build a bottom end to handle it. I am not sure at this point, whether it would be a 6.0 liter block or stay with the LS1.
Old 03-15-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Pinky93
I agree with the comments about building the engine, however I don't have the funds for both. I was hoping to add the boost, but be very modest with it for the present. When it is time to bump up the power, the first thing would be to build a bottom end to handle it. I am not sure at this point, whether it would be a 6.0 liter block or stay with the LS1.
Might want to consider either APS twin kit or OFI single kit. Nice fuel system, clutch, rear end, and a set of heads to lower the compression, valve train upgrades, and a tune.

That would be about 11K (actually maybe another 1k-2k)doing the work yourself and should be pretty safe to about 7-8psi and 500-550rwhp
Old 03-15-2008, 10:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

For the most bang for your buck, talk to my brother Bob. With the D1SC, you could upgrade to front mount intercooler, rods, pistons, heads down the road and run in the nines. The total below is $9320. You would need a better torque arm and some lower control arms. Plus you will have to consider a set of headers, y-pipe, cat back system. It adds up quick but at least the kit below is a good starting point. My LT1 runs 11.30s with just 370 rwhp with procharger.

ATI supercharger system with complete fuel system/balancer/tuning $6820
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=798

Moser 9" rear end with new lower control arm mounts. $2500
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145
95 Pontiac Formula- Stock engine with ATI Procharger, Moser 12 bolt w/4:30 gears, Rossler trans, Neil Chance 4000 stall, M/T ET streets, 10.914@ 121.90mph, 1.452 60ft. GMHTP November 2010 Feature Car. Check it out at:
https://www.motortrend.com/features/...ebird-formula/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=abZ1z...ature=youtu.be

Old 03-15-2008, 11:02 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Just noticed you are in Don Garlit's territory, maybe a little nitro!
95 Pontiac Formula- Stock engine with ATI Procharger, Moser 12 bolt w/4:30 gears, Rossler trans, Neil Chance 4000 stall, M/T ET streets, 10.914@ 121.90mph, 1.452 60ft. GMHTP November 2010 Feature Car. Check it out at:

Old 03-15-2008, 11:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by silver95
For the most bang for your buck, talk to my brother Bob. With the D1SC, you could upgrade to front mount intercooler, rods, pistons, heads down the road and run in the nines. The total below is $9320. You would need a better torque arm and some lower control arms. Plus you will have to consider a set of headers, y-pipe, cat back system. It adds up quick but at least the kit below is a good starting point. My LT1 runs 11.30s with just 370 rwhp with procharger.

ATI supercharger system with complete fuel system/balancer/tuning $6820
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=798

Moser 9" rear end with new lower control arm mounts. $2500
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com....html?item=145

I am definitely open to the ProCharger...... hmmmm..... the D1SC complete kit, with a Moser 9" would be great. Is the front mount intercooler that much better than the twin intercoolers? What is the difference between this kit and the $7,800 kit?

Thanks again!! Rick

PS - it is cool seeing Don Gartlis around town. I have met him at the Museum and talked with his family too.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

check out KYTP and OFI, you can pickup a TC76 kit for 4200 + ship from KYTP and put down 500+ WHP on the stock LS1 and have plenty for whatever else.
Old 03-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Launching!

My previous car, (brand X) was constantly broken. The car weighed about 3200 lbs, had a nice set of TFS high port heads and made really good power in the upper RPM range. In my garage I’ll still got the crack pistons, broken rods and valve train parts to show for it. When I bought this Chevy, I built up the motor and throttled back on the horsepower. The T04E is good to 15 psi, but I’m only running 8.5 now. It is so much more enjoyable to drive the car for more than two months at a time.

When I was younger, the challenge for me was making the car go as fast as possible for the moment, going to the track and putting up a good number. I was constantly fixing it and trickling money at it. But I really enjoyed putting it back to together. Now…..not so much. If you don’t build up the motor, you’re going to break it. It just a matter of when. But ultimately you will have to decide what best for you and what gets you the most satisfaction from you car.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

TSP forged 370 $2800 KYTP w/ 76mm turbo$4200 rear $2500 = $9500 + s&h
Old 03-15-2008, 01:45 PM
12 Second Club

9", D1SC@8Lbs and great tires. Oh ya and tune.

I hope you hate time slips with too many numbers.
Old 03-15-2008, 03:50 PM
no title here

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only probelm with the KYTP kit is that you lose the AC. He said he didn't want to lose it. That is what is keeping me from going with it because I have to have AC. I would get a built motor some heads spec your cam and then build the rest of the drivetrain. IE rearend, tranny, clutch, and suspension for what ever FI you deisde. Then break the motor in on the motor and strap your power adder on it. You will be a lot happier because everything will be built around either the turbo or the ProCharger. That is what I am doing now. The block is at the machine shop getting built for 8.8-1 CR. Then the suspension will be addressed and a new 9 inch. Then the tranny and clutch. Once everything is together off to get painted and new wheels and brakes. Then I can drive it. It will take me a lot longer this way but everything is being done with boost in mind. So hopefully I won't get it running and then the weak link what ever it is won't pop up. They will have hopedfully been addressed.
Old 03-15-2008, 05:00 PM
10 Second Club

I have a bad *** turbo kit and brand new never been ran forged 370 for you let me know see my add!! ohh yea and a 9 inch haha
Old 03-15-2008, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

I appreciate all the ideas......

Honestly, I KNOW I should do the rear end, subframe connectors, torque arm, lower control arms and then build the engine to handle the forced induction......I just won't have any money left! LOL
I am thinking with the FI at a MODEST amount of boost, I could at least enjoy the car for a while before going further. I just have to not get greedy.
I am so torn between the ProCharger and the APS it is pathetic.....
Old 03-15-2008, 08:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I am definitely open to the ProCharger...... hmmmm..... the D1SC complete kit, with a Moser 9" would be great. Is the front mount intercooler that much better than the twin intercoolers? What is the difference between this kit and the $7,800 kit?
The 7899 kit is fully installed.

Old 03-15-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I appreciate all the ideas......

Honestly, I KNOW I should do the rear end, subframe connectors, torque arm, lower control arms and then build the engine to handle the forced induction......I just won't have any money left! LOL
I am thinking with the FI at a MODEST amount of boost, I could at least enjoy the car for a while before going further. I just have to not get greedy.
I am so torn between the ProCharger and the APS it is pathetic.....
go with the TT kit if thats your choice, i want this
http://www.lmspeed.com/index.asp?Pag...WPROD&ProdID=2

Old 03-15-2008, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

go with the D1SC with the front mount, moser 9in. a spec 3+ clutch and suspension mods, I definatly would go with Bob from EPP, hands down best customer service and support ive seen anywhere, also he most likely has the best prices too, if not he will beat anyone elses.as long as your happy with 8 psi or so dont worry about a motor, my best advice is build a great motor first then add boost

Quick Reply: $11K to spend......