Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

what kind of manifold/header for over 700hp turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 06:35 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default what kind of manifold/header for over 700hp turbo?

i see some coments about hiting a wall with the stock exhaust manifold feeding into a log style header for a single set up. i am looking at puting together a set up of my own, something like twin 60's or maybe a little bigger on a 400+ci motor. will 2 log style manifolds be a restriction and if so what is better? would longer primaries work better then little 4" long primaries into a log? seems like with a turbo set up just having large enuff diameter would be enough.

how large is the exhaust opening/flange on a t60-t63?

would 1 3/4" primaries into a 3" log feed a very high hp set up? like 1000+hp? or smaller log? or larger primaries? or regular header style where the primaries come together right near the turbo be the best? remember i am looking at a twin set.

got an intake question for you too, will the stock intake(truck style) be a restriction or can i just run higher boost, is it not an issue when running boost?

TIA
Old 07-23-2003, 10:25 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: what kind of manifold/header for over 700hp turbo?

I think you'll be just fine running the stock manifolds dude. :p

I think Harlan ran into a problem with the stock intake becoming a restriction on his car around 600+rwhp.
Old 07-24-2003, 05:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm not an expert, but on mine I'm building a pair of custom headers, I going to try to make them equal length if I can. If your going that extreme why settle for a log design?
Old 07-24-2003, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

Hey Parish would just some 1 3/4" shorties upside down work? Maybe like some JBAs or Edelbrock manifolds would do - they are not too expensive and come ceramic coated. I was just wishfull thinking about doing turbos on my truck and thought about this.
Old 07-24-2003, 11:43 PM
Teching In

i see some coments about hiting a wall with the stock exhaust manifold feeding into a log style header for a single set up. i am looking at puting together a set up of my own, something like twin 60's or maybe a little bigger on a 400+ci motor. will 2 log style manifolds be a restriction and if so what is better? would longer primaries work better then little 4" long primaries into a log? seems like with a turbo set up just having large enuff diameter would be enough.

how large is the exhaust opening/flange on a t60-t63?

would 1 3/4" primaries into a 3" log feed a very high hp set up? like 1000+hp? or smaller log? or larger primaries? or regular header style where the primaries come together right near the turbo be the best? remember i am looking at a twin set.

got an intake question for you too, will the stock intake(truck style) be a restriction or can i just run higher boost, is it not an issue when running boost?

TIA
I would say for the most part the 1 3/4 with a 3 inch feed you get you very close to the 1000HP range.

As far as the T series Turbos like the T60 and T63 all of the inlets are gonna be the same. The measurements for the inlets are 1.98 inches by 2.98 inches. As far as the Outlets go (Where the down pipe bolts up) the size will vary depending on the turbine wheel size. If you were to have a P-Trim Turbine wheel you would have like a 3 inch Down pipe. A three inch down pipe will support 800+ HP.

If you are going to run a twin setup I would NOT use a set of T60's. Two T60's would support over 1200 HP . You should use a set of T4's rather than a set of T's

Why dont you give me your specs and what kind of "realistic" HP your lookin to make and Ill give you a hand on turbo selection.

Kyle~
Old 07-25-2003, 06:44 AM
single digit dreamer

"Why dont you give me your specs and what kind of "realistic" HP your lookin to make and Ill give you a hand on turbo selection."

well.... i am not concerend about turbo lag too much and dont want to run out of capasity at a later date. have LOTS of room for an intercooler, turbos and ducting/exhaust. i will also be working with a 3/4 ton driveline(4l80e + big axles). with that in mind i am not at all sure what HP numbers i will be able to make but this is a MAX effort kind of project so i would like to go on the big side with the turbos.

set up will be somethng like forged everything 408, low compresion. LARGE intercooler. shooting for ~600+rwhp with pump gas and ~1000+rwhp set up for racing(good gas, cold day...).

exactly what turbos do you recomend and why? where can i learn more aobut the diferent exhaust trims and what the hell is AR?

Old 07-25-2003, 09:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

I went with PT-52's from PTE. They are good for 600hp each. My goal eventualy have 1000rwhp. Go to www.turbofast.com.au they have some nifty little turbo calculators.
Old 07-25-2003, 05:23 PM
Launching!

Parish8,
I know you were debating which truck to start with. If you wanted a RCSB you could get a 2500 long bed and hack the rear-end off of it. I saw this pic and thought it might intrest you. Just my little 2cents.

http://www.mashedpedal.com/Pickup6.html

Can't wait to see what you come up with
Old 07-25-2003, 06:22 PM
Teching In

"Why dont you give me your specs and what kind of "realistic" HP your lookin to make and Ill give you a hand on turbo selection."

well.... i am not concerend about turbo lag too much and dont want to run out of capasity at a later date. have LOTS of room for an intercooler, turbos and ducting/exhaust. i will also be working with a 3/4 ton driveline(4l80e + big axles). with that in mind i am not at all sure what HP numbers i will be able to make but this is a MAX effort kind of project so i would like to go on the big side with the turbos.

set up will be somethng like forged everything 408, low compresion. LARGE intercooler. shooting for ~600+rwhp with pump gas and ~1000+rwhp set up for racing(good gas, cold day...).

exactly what turbos do you recomend and why? where can i learn more aobut the diferent exhaust trims and what the hell is AR?

I would say two T4's like the V-trim they would be good for 1000HP. I would use .69 A/R's on the with a O or Ptrim turbine wheel. You would get a good spool and good up top power. To start to lean about turbos get the book "Turbothargers" by Hugh Mcennis. The book is old , but you can learn the basics in it.
Old 07-25-2003, 06:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

maximum boost by Corky Bell is a also very good to book to learn the basics
Old 04-18-2005, 09:12 PM
Teching In

A truck being mentioned in this thread was owned and built by me. Here is a link to a slideshow detailing some of the work on it.

http://www.mashedpedal.com/One_Bad_ass_Ride\ride.htm

I used to have this truck posted on my website however I sold that vehicle and no longer post any of my vehicles on my site for various reasons. I hope you like the pics in the slideshow and it should be up for viewing for some time to come. The truck was a show winning 2000 Silverado and was custom front to rear, NOS, ATI D1SC, 6.0 motor with SCAT billet 4.00” crank and many custom applications including a truck bed that rocked the show!

Enjoy watching the slideshow

Thanks

I have updated my website and posted pics of the Silverado and some other cool stuff on my home page http://www.mashedpedal.com

Last edited by Draz; 05-20-2006 at 05:46 PM.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:39 PM
single digit dreamer

wow, this thread is almost 2 years old and i still have some of the same questions.

maybe in another 2 years i will be at 1000rwhp
Old 04-18-2005, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Draz
A truck being mentioned in this thread was owned and built by me. Here is a link to a slideshow detailing some of the work on it.

http://www.mashedpedal.com/One_Bad_ass_Ride\ride.htm

I used to have this truck posted on my website however I sold that vehicle and no longer post any of my vehicles on my site for various reasons. I hope you like the pics in the slideshow and it should be up for viewing for some time to come. The truck was a show winning 2000 Silverado and was custom front to rear, NOS, ATI D1SC, 6.0 motor with SCAT billet 4.00” crank and many custom applications including a truck bed that rocked the show!

Enjoy watching the slideshow

Thanks

good looking truck
Old 04-18-2005, 09:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The roll cage in your old truck didn't have bars that went through the rear glass? Did you ever get it NHRA tech'ed?
Old 04-19-2005, 11:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

do twin 63mm T4 turbos you will be one happy camper with those
Old 04-19-2005, 06:33 PM
Teching In

Ok first off I am not real savvy with these forums so I apologize for bringing up an old post instead of starting a new one. I had two user names back in the day because I lost my log in info and changed email so I couldn’t get my info mailed to me. I was the original owner of the truck and started tearing it down a week after getting it, I am not sure who owns it now. Some of you are saying I am “grave digging” this thread to get some glory from what I accomplished with my truck I now do not own. Nothing could be further from the truth I don’t even show any of my vehicles on my site anymore. I had just received emails from some folks who went to my site asking where the heck the pics on my site went, so I thought I could offer up a way to see it using this method. Didn’t mean to offend anyone or come across like a guy who has only busted his nut once in his life and wants to brag about it the rest of his life. I have done many vehicles most of them to the caliber of the truck you see in the slideshow I was just trying to offer a venue in which those who wanted could still see it.

I appeared like an *** my apologies just trying to help

as for the roll bar I never got to run it as you pointed out i did not have the right cage for running at the strip. I made it for running on the streets and i did just that. Tech laughed at me when i tried to get it on the strip without the right roll cage etc.

I have updated my website and posted pics of the Silverado and some other cool stuff on my home page http://www.mashedpedal.com

Last edited by Draz; 05-20-2006 at 05:45 PM.

Quick Reply: what kind of manifold/header for over 700hp turbo?