Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Oil Cooler discussion forTurbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 11:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Cooler discussion forTurbo

My turbo has a tendency to break down engine oil quickly, and it generates a ton of heat with the oil circulating through it. I have been thinking of installing an oil cooler to cool the oil before it returns to the crankcase and I had a couple of questions.

1\ How effective are oil coolers? This would be a draw through system and likely air cooled.

2\ For fit I would need a small unit and what are the most effective pieces out there.

I'd like to extend the effectiveness and life of the engine oil. I use Kendall GT1 20/50 racing oil now.

Any thoughts on this and is it worthwhile to look into?

Paul
Old 07-24-2003, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: Oil Cooler discussion forTurbo

honestly, you should find out what your engine oil temps are instead of just going off your judgement
Old 07-24-2003, 07:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

You're probably correct, I have been judging based on visual. My oil get very hot and when you pull and when you pull the dipstick, there is usually smoke coming out if it. I also notice it gets thinner after a couple of weeks.

What is the best way of monitoring oil temps?

Paul
Old 07-24-2003, 07:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have thought about this a couple of times also. as my oil gets dirty quick, ive been changine it every 2k miles.
the only problem i have, i dont want to mess with the gravity drain,m since it seems to be working fine with my turbotech kit.
Old 07-24-2003, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Best bet is to plumb in an oil temp guage somewhere (I don't know a good place off the top of my head - sorry).

If you want to get the cooler go ahead and get one - setup properly it won't hurt (though without a guage it is hard to determine it's effectiveness if any). Since I believe you Auto-x/roadrace the car also? an oil cooler probably isn't a bad idea at all (as well as a PS cooler ). Just make sure to get one with a thermostat or get an inline thermostat - that way you won't have extended warmup times.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler discussion forTurbo