Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Official APS Install questions thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 05:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Official APS Install questions thread

Well i figured i'd make up a thread for people to post up their APS install questions in..... have at it!

I'll start...

My passenger side turbo wont clock far enough to get in the clear opening of the K-member. Its just short... This is clocking with the V-Band..... so does this mean i have to remove the snap ring and clock it that way? Kind of makes me nervous but im wondering why i have to do this and no one else does? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 03-23-2008, 10:03 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

So anyone else having this issue as well? Here are some pics showing mine not clocking enough to get in the K-member opening

Old 03-23-2008, 05:34 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have more space than i did and mine was to close to the front of the k-m
Old 03-23-2008, 05:34 PM
9 Second Club

and whats up with are turbos going bad someone fill me in on that
Old 03-23-2008, 06:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hoping don't have any big problems when do my install likley sometime in may or june.
The mits tweaked by APS 20 g turbos are normally very very reliable and should not be many problems with them.
Old 03-23-2008, 08:02 PM
On The Tree

Default trans cooler

where are you guys installing your trans cooler i might remove the shield in front of the intercooler my foam and beam are already removed from my previous intercooler tag is cut out and no fog lights should be enough air flow would it hurt to mount the trans cooler in front of the intercooler
Old 03-23-2008, 08:13 PM
On The Tree

i had no problem with my passenger side turbo it was pretty much in the middle of the opening if i can i'll take a pic tomorrow and post it for you
Old 03-24-2008, 03:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Superman09
Well i figured i'd make up a thread for people to post up their APS install questions in..... have at it!

I'll start...

My passenger side turbo wont clock far enough to get in the clear opening of the K-member. Its just short... This is clocking with the V-Band..... so does this mean i have to remove the snap ring and clock it that way? Kind of makes me nervous but im wondering why i have to do this and no one else does? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
what k-member you use?
Old 03-24-2008, 04:30 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

the one APS used, BMR....

Old 03-24-2008, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by tomz28
you have more space than i did and mine was to close to the front of the k-m
I had the same problem today putting mine in. I think I'm going to put the jack back under the oil pan and lossen all the bolts on the K member and tr and tweek it. I know that wont change the engine to K member but when I test fit the cooler it was a little off.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:22 AM
9 Second Club

mine too as for the k-m i tried that to with not much luck its very tight on my car the hose rubs the k-m a bit but it was the best we could do
Old 03-25-2008, 08:59 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Peter told me i have to compress the snap ring on the comp side and that will allow me to clock it more... That will be todays job!

Old 03-25-2008, 09:02 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jon, I had a very tight fit on the Pass side with mine too. It was tight, but I got it to fit and got the tube on the outlet there. I will have to dig up my install pics to see if I had a similar issue.....

And James, glad to hear yours is coming along too! Can't wait to see some more cars on the roads around here. Woodward is gonna be a lot of fun this summer!

Last edited by Hugger Z; 03-25-2008 at 01:40 PM.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Default trans cooler

no info on trans cooler were to mount it
Old 03-25-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey Tony I redid my brake lines I'll have pics up later on Fquick. I cant figure out how to post links here with out it asking for a password.

As far as the fitment goes I cant see clocking it helping me or Tomz28. I do know there was one that came apart because of the clocking ring right? I am not bad mouthing APS just letting you know to becareful when you do it and make sure its right.
Old 03-25-2008, 04:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yes, peter told me that is how i have to clock it. Its maxed out clocking by the v band so i have to clock by the snap ring to allow the compressor to spin more. I'll be very careful, shouldnt be an issue

Old 03-25-2008, 04:38 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hugger Z
Jon, I had a very tight fit on the Pass side with mine too. It was tight, but I got it to fit and got the tube on the outlet there. I will have to dig up my install pics to see if I had a similar issue.....

And James, glad to hear yours is coming along too! Can't wait to see some more cars on the roads around here. Woodward is gonna be a lot of fun this summer!
man im from MI but im in CA right now wish i could take my car to Woodward
Old 03-26-2008, 03:11 AM
9 Second Club

hey guys i got oil in my inlet and outlet side of my turbo on driver side i have a catch can hooked from the hoses from the lines that come from the V covers so WTF bad seal in the turbo? the funny thing is that it doesnt smoke and when i say oil i mean you can poor it out its alot any ideas car also has 8lbs wastegate springs and the thing creeped up to 15psi tonight NOT GOOD BUT FUN and there is oil coming off the v-bands on both the turbos dont know were it is coming from

Last edited by tomz28; 03-26-2008 at 03:18 AM.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Hmm turbos dont usually lose oil very often at the seals.Normally its a problem with too much pressure in the crankcase,too much oil pressure into the turbo or something happening with the oil draining back to the pan. I have thought I had big turbo problems several times with my dsm cars and each time it was one of the above usually the first one.
Also would be concerned why they turbos are hitting 15psi ,there is no way they should be with the gates supposedly at 7.5 or so standard springs.Almost sounds like problem with line to the gate or something hooked up wrong.

I guess basic questions..are you running electronic boost controller or manual or just the gates? Hook up is different I think depending on if you have electronic or manual controller. What are you running for oil pump and oil pressure? So you are not running the pcv stuff the way they say in the instructions?

And sorry read a lot of threads lately this is a new engine you are running? Forged engine? Obviously 15psi and stock engine would be kaboom very quickly.

And thought you said you hadn't done fuel yet? If so 15psi is likely going to be making you go very lean and detonation can't be far behind.

Hope you get your problems sorted out.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Ok no smoking out the back would usually mean its not oil going by the seals from excessive oil pressure or engine venting problem. That sounds more like leaking from oil lines into the turbo not being tight. If its going thru the seals you normally get clouds out the back exhaust. I thought blew engine first time it happened on my dsm. And even after fixed problem with engine venting it still smoked for quite awile.

But catch can filling up with oil would again point to engine problem. If new engine maybe the rings just need some more time to seat and you are simply getting too much oil blowby. Or maybe they gapped rings too big. Buddy did this mistake on his lt1 for nitrous and it blew oil all the time even with no spray used.

Quick Reply: Official APS Install questions thread