Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

WARBIRD vs. QMP....the answers within....

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2003 | 07:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Re: WARBIRD vs. QMP....the answers within....

One other FWIW and a point I have always made very clear when asked and Rob should already know. I do not have an iron block, my block is and always has been a resleeved aluminum block. As I said Rob's info and assumptions keep proving incorrect .

As a matter of fact, in my first response to this post I clearly stated, I have an LS6 Block and they only come in aluminum. So who is the one paying attention?

Paul
Old 07-28-2003 | 10:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

I actually think you miss the logic here Warbird. I'm only a bystander and reading the posts and it seems you fail to see that there are 20+ kits out there that are running flawlessly but you still maintain that it's his kit's problem thats causing your engine to overheat and what not. I also think its funny that you can read his site to saying the kit comes with a T-76 BB turbo when it says its available at an EXTRA cost. Also humorous is you thinking its HIS problem you didnt get what you wanted when YOU didnt order the part and he send EXACTLY what was ordered by ARE. Might check your invoice like he's suggested. Also the conference call between Warbird, ARE and Rob seems like a good idea to get this resolved.
Old 07-28-2003 | 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I give up, yes my car is having problems because my iron block 20:1 compression cemented LT1 motor is too big. I guess I should be more observant, because I just noticed my kit says Vortex and my fender says Ford. Damn I missed that. You're right, Rob only advertises the T74 turbo on his site and every improved production kit has has made way more power than his original kit.

I have never had the engine inspected and never tried to solve any problems that are not turbo related. I have the only kit that has had a hicup and all others run flawlessly and nobody has posted anything less that about the kit.

I have never posted that I managed to fix the cooling issue.

You're right I'm a newbie that has only been a member of these boards for a week and just posts crap to increase his post count. Every post I have ever made is whining and complaining and I have never attemted to solve my car.

I'll crawl back to AAG
Old 07-28-2003 | 11:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Rob, thanks for answering my question in your post about the wires burning. For those who don't know, the MSD wires have a flexible boot that allow you to "adjust" the direction they point. I have these and they work great for getting your wires away from your headers. The only question I still have is about boost control. Does your kit come with the controller you mention? Or is that a mod for having adjustable boost, and your kit comes with fixed boost.

Thanks for the feedback.

-Geoff
Old 07-28-2003 | 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Manual boost controllers aren't included in the kit because the wastegate can be modified with boost specific springs to control the boost level. I didn't like the way the boost controlled with the w/g, and neither did the tuner, so I brought over a "Grainger" MBC that I make for the DSM crowd.

I set the MBC at 9 lbs and it goes to 9lbs with ZERO overshoot and stays, rock-solid, until I let out.

I highly recommend it, or something similar for any turbo application. Just be sure it's a spring-and-ball type, not a bleeder. If you use a bleeder, you may as well not use one at all.

SC-

WhiteHawk - Are you thinking of jumping camps to the turbo side? I thought you just called me out to prove turbos were junk, or was it to prove that MY car was junk? Anyway, I hope you do jump camps! I think you'll love the massive mid-range torque!

WarBird - I'm glad to see ya finally came to your senses, man. Now everything will come together for ya.
Old 07-28-2003 | 12:10 PM
20 Year Member

See... man. That is the problem.
You entirely missed his point... good ones.
So you went on a tantrum.

I guess I'd feel like a tantrum, too, with the issues you are having, and you just want a car that is running and performs like you paid for.
I COMPLETELY undersstand that.

Step back with me a minute and, without going into what you are saying or what Rob is saying... just hear this part:

With Rob taking the position that he did his part and sent what they asked for, and you getting a conflicting story from ARE (whom you would naturally have an affinity for because you've had personal contact with them and seen them busting their ***** to work on it), the ONLY thing you can do to get this all straightened out (and get an agreement on WHO will take the lead on fixing WHAT) is to have QMP and ARE at the same table as you and work thru EACH issue.

Now, a conference/three-way call sounds like your only option to accomplish that.

One other word of advice:

Instead of hashing out recriminations, I'd start out by saying, "let's come to a consensus on what was sent and understood WOULD be sent". You need them to agree on that part and get the model turbo thing behind you. That is sticking in your craw like a chicken bone. Get closure on that.

Instead of assigning blame, ask them if they can work together to resolve your kit's problems. If Rob thinks they've done something that adversely affects how the kit performs, ask them to hear his advice. There's no shame in that.

Also, even if they or you UNDERSTOOD something to be one way, that does not mean that is what Rob meant. ANYONE can have a misunderstanding. Slinging mud only makes it worse.

The bottom line is, do you want the problems fixed and what can QMP and ARE do to make it happen? Try to be solution directed and not bash/blame oreiented. Just blaming won't help you get your kit right.

Give it a shot man. We ALL want to see you up and running the way you intended when you started out with this endeavor.

Peace...
Old 07-28-2003 | 12:44 PM
On The Tree

Probably some of the most reasonable comments I've read yet. I am more than willing to speak with ARE and Paul on a conference call. Just let me know when.
I am 100% confident that we delivered exactly what was ordered by ARE. I am also confident that Warbird's issues will be resolved, and he will be extremely happy with how the car performs as soon as they are resolved.

Lastly, I am also 100% certain that I will not tolerate anymore bashing or mudslinging. This needs to be handled privately, and sensibly. I have intentionally stayed away from reading these bash sessions (at last count, 4 separate negative threads about us on this board alone....and with no warnings or intervention by the moderators until now). However, I have had so many customers call and email me to tell me that I needed to defend myself. So here I am. But if this starts to go south again, I'm out of here.
Old 07-28-2003 | 02:05 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder
20 Year Member

I think a conference call would be ideal too, it would clear up some of the issues.

Sometimes just pulling out the receipts and reviewing what was purchased helps too. Based on Rob's comment that the T76 costs another $1000, I think that the receipt and total cost of the tuner kit would reflect that. Turbos are not cheap. I had no idea that turbos can be so expensive.

Lastly, when buying 'tuner' kits you can end up with communication gaps because the buyer is not buying a 100% solution but instead is making their own substutions for various parts.

I still think that Warbird's 415ci + boost should crank out 700rwhp no problem. I'm looking forward to seeing things get resolved and for Warbird to hit a solid number.

Old 07-28-2003 | 02:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Rob. on your car, where was the wastegate located on your 707hp set up? in the production kit spot or in the turbotech spot?

also, what is the highest outputting built motor to date with your production kit not counting your car.. boost level and ci. please

rob also, if you have not yet seen my dyno graph. click the link in my signature
Old 07-28-2003 | 02:38 PM
20 Year Member

We'll let this thread ride and see if it can stay helpful. At LS1Tech.com, we don't want to stifle discussion about relevant forum issues, but they MUST be civil and helpful.

Pissing contests, personal derogatory remarks and defamatory generalizations are unproductive and have no place here.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2003 | 03:27 PM
TECH Regular

Warbird, your beef should be with ARE. They bought the kit from QMP and they installed it. ARE should then take it up with QMP. You are ARE's customer, ARE is QMP's customer, and so on. You honestly should of never even been in contact with QMP. That is ARE's job. How ever you look at the situation it comes back to ARE to solve the problem, either with them selves or QMP. You didn't order it, buy it or install it. ARE did for you. They need to step up and solve the problem. 3rd party .02's
Old 07-28-2003 | 05:33 PM
11 Second Club

Warbird, your beef should be with ARE. They bought the kit from QMP and they installed it. ARE should then take it up with QMP. You are ARE's customer, ARE is QMP's customer, and so on. You honestly should of never even been in contact with QMP. That is ARE's job. How ever you look at the situation it comes back to ARE to solve the problem, either with them selves or QMP. You didn't order it, buy it or install it. ARE did for you. They need to step up and solve the problem. 3rd party .02's
Now that Rob shed a little more light on the subject, thats the logical thing to do. And what should have been done from the get go. QMP is not responsible, ARE is.
Old 07-28-2003 | 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you for the light of reason, which you've shed on this subject, sscam68!

!!!

SC-
Old 07-28-2003 | 08:30 PM
Shorty Director

So the other purchasers of the kits have installed their kits and they have no problems? Is this a kit you could buy and just install with no issues yourself or do you have to have QMP install the kit to have no problems?
Old 07-28-2003 | 08:41 PM
9 Second Club

I like being able to post my useless opinion
Manifold vs header is a non issue except maybe for spool up time. I did both and gained nothing up top with the mac and 2.25 crossover. My car overheated...turned out ONE head gasket was flipped over wrong. Also, my gutted thermostat made it run hot as well. I put stock one back in and temps came down. I think a t-63 is too small for MM. He needs something closer to the t-74/76
As far as the oiling issue goes....my TTI kit has the drain at the front/bottom of the pan...turbo clocked to about 7-8 oclock and it was fine....no smoke. I was on the stock oil pump...no restrictor. Exhaust leaks throw off your a/f readings...a lot sometimes. I dunno about the iron block but I would not THINK the QMP kit is your prob with overheating. Remove the intercooler and drive around normal...that should answer it quickly. Rob...hang tuff.....I think you will be vindicated by other users. PLEASE give me a price for one of your manifolds...mine was dented in the wreck.
Old 07-28-2003 | 09:16 PM
20 Year Member

I like being able to post my useless opinion
OK.
Old 07-28-2003 | 09:22 PM
Shorty Director

I like getting my questions answered..
Old 07-28-2003 | 10:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Not to get in the middle of this but if I recall Warbird was driving his car for months before the turbo went in and it had no overheating problems whatsoever.

I am not trying to lay blame on either party in this.

It could be as simple as a dead fan relay, blown fuse, stuck stat or broken coolant sensor.

Best of luck to all parties getting it resolved.

I want to drive his car to the tens@130+mph!! heheh

Chris
Old 07-29-2003 | 06:08 AM
20 Year Member

Vince, it's not like installing a Supercharger. But, I don't think it is any tougher than installing, say, the Incon kit, or such. The Front intercooler may make things interesting.

But, a turbo kit is going to almost always be a bear to install at home, and many people opt to have a shop do that.
Old 07-29-2003 | 06:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

I installed my own kit. I've not had any issues with overheating. I drove around in 90+ heat with the A/C on. I have a 180* thermostat.

Mine is a stock motor, though. Maybe that makes a difference.

SC-

Quick Reply: WARBIRD vs. QMP....the answers within....