Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My APS TT dyno results & info

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 02:22 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

excellent write up! excellent runs! excellent car! I love how your car is such a sleeper beating up on the stripped down drag cars!
Old 04-13-2008, 11:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Makes me want to get my car doen already! Very nice car...she flys!
Old 04-13-2008, 11:21 AM
Banned

Am i the only one disappointed with the numbers? It's not making anything down low. What kind of turbo's? GT35R's? Maybe i'm the only one who would like more low end torque. For a stock engine only running 8 psi.. I would have used GT28R's for a lot quicker spool
Old 04-13-2008, 11:37 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice runs Keliente! That was cool to see you pull the race cars. Gotta love the top end of a turbo! It is fun reeling people in.

The turbo's are Mitsubishi 20G's that come with the APS kit. I am not disappointed with my kit. It is reliable and daily driveable. I just get in and go. Drives like normal and if I want just put the foot down and get some boost and really shock people!
Old 04-13-2008, 11:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The car is an auto. So if you are trying to look at spool up from dyno charts well autos are hard to read sometimes. Especially if you have non load bearing dyno and then you have the stall converter etc. Real world they usually spool up quite a bit quicker.
And the cars are turning great times at the track. Autos also of course can leave the line with boost manuals have a much harder time and need that two step pretty bad and still even with that will not build boost like autos with stalls.

You can of course go bigger or to more expensive Ball bearing turbos but BB don't necessarily speed up spool up that much. They do keep manual cars spooled up better between shifts though. I am figuring that likely will see full boost on my 408 m6 build at 3000rpm. Bigger displacement of course will help spool up and on and off boost torque.
And too much bottom end is not necessarily a good thing. I have enough trouble sometimes hooking up my NA 425 hp car even on nittos especially if you don't heat them up first. Aand with the power these turbo cars put out a bit less power low might help in the traction department.
Old 04-13-2008, 12:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice job running down the trailered cars. That's a great, clean street car. If you had a V6 exhaust tip sticking out the back, the disguise would be complete!
Old 04-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Banned

Car was an auto? My bad
Old 04-13-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Great job girl!!!!! Nice to see you pull on some cars that think you don't have anything...LOL!!!

I keep thinking more and more about this set up, I really could have gone this route with my T/A but its way too late now to change the set up. But this kit is only available for the LS1. I guess I'll get this kit for our HOSS so Clint and beat me down the track again....uugghhh well at least I'll be faster until he gets the kit. heeheh.

Last edited by Greenfire; 04-13-2008 at 09:00 PM.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:52 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Hmm the kit is not supposed to need restrictors since it dont' have a pump but is gravity feed. I am getting melling pump think with higher boost spring so wondering if that is true? Usually ball bearing turbos are the ones that need restrictors. JM is running melling pump not sure if he is getting any oil out the back. White smoke is normally coolant? If its sweet smelling then its from head gasket problems. Not sure what you mean by not water..you mean its not normal condensation? normal water vapor? If its white its not problem with too much oil pressure to the turbos.That will give blue smoke and usually lots of it if it starts getting pushed past the seals.Too much crankcase pressure can also blow oil past the seals. And incidentally this doesn't ruin the seals. I have had lots of times when this happened on my mits turbos and no harm done when the problem was fixed up.

Small leaks ??meaning at fittings like oil feed or oil return. Sorry still trying to be clear here.

No oil out the back. Meling pump and about 90 PSI WOT.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:54 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by keliente
I have a 99 formula A4. Last year I did a little work to it. Bolt ons such as headers, air lid, magnaflow...a 3600 vig stall, some tuning, and a 224 thunder racing cam. I though it moved out pretty good. It made around 340hp and ran the 1/8th in 7.59 @ 91 mph (11.95 @ 111mph in the 1/4th).

I wanted something more, and had never had a FI car before, so I decided to purchase the APS TT kit from down under.

It arrived in November '07:

I started installing it in January. I pulled the engine out to install the turbo kit...made it a little easier that way. I also wanted to install a new stealth cam, stock 317 heads (to lower compression) and change the oil pump & timing chain since I didn't do that the first time around - having the engine on a stand made this much easier.

To accomodate the TT kit I purchased a k-member from UMI. I had to clock the turbo minimally to make it clear. Other supporting modifications included 60lb injectors and a racetronix fuel system. This is my daily driver, so I decided to keep a full exhaust on it including high flow cats and a magnaflow. I've also got a cutout installed. Overall the car is very, very quiet.

I also added an e-Boost controller left over from our previously turbo'd TBSS. I installed it into one of the vents in the center console for easy access. I've purchased a dual pillar pod for my Scan gauge & wideband, which I will be installing shortly.

Overall I was impressed with the kit. It is very good quality workmanship. The instructions are very clear and concise. The fit is a little tight but we are dealing with an f-body here!

I wish I'd have paid attention to the wastegates before installing them. They came with 7lb springs, I only want to run around 5 lbs. I've purchased new springs, however the passenger side wastegate is wedged against the trans, it looks like a pain to get out now.

Currently the car is making 8lbs of boost. That's the most I plan to run on the stock shortblock. Ideally with the new springs I will push around 5-6lbs at the track. It is the fastest car I have built so far, and honestly it does scare me a bit! It does not take much to break the tires loose. I plan to make a few shakedown passes at the track to get used to it. It feels a whole lot different than a strong n/a car.

Here's what my car looks like now...I don't really plan to change anything about the way it looks. Boring, I know.

Here's how it turned out on the dyno. Run 1 is last year with the bolt ons/224 cam. Run 2 is the APS TT, 8 lbs. Run 3 is the same thing, but with the cutout open.

I plan to head out to the track as soon as I've installed the new wastegate springs. From there I should have my work cut out for me - I'm pretty sure I'll need to start modifying the suspension (all stock) and hit up some new drag radials to make the most out of this.

Thanks for reading & good luck with your builds....glad to finally fit in with this section of the board
Great install. I am noticing your graph is very ruff. Any problems with fueling?
Old 04-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Launching!

How much do these kits run???
Old 04-14-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by COD02SS
Am i the only one disappointed with the numbers? It's not making anything down low. What kind of turbo's? GT35R's? Maybe i'm the only one who would like more low end torque. For a stock engine only running 8 psi.. I would have used GT28R's for a lot quicker spool
It's a stalled auto, so seeing the graph and actually driving it are two different things imo.. I am thrilled with the power it makes and it feels awesome down low or up top...Even on drag radials there is no hooking up from a dig on the street, it spins/gets sideways. I'm happy with the turbos it came with, the power it makes and where it makes said power.

I don't think I'll be power hungry for a while now, if anything I'll go back and add to the supporting modifications...like a new transmission (asap!) and then suspension to help better use the power I've got.

Originally Posted by 2FNQUIK
About $5,500. Ask Peter for current pricing.

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
Great install. I am noticing your graph is very ruff. Any problems with fueling?
No sir!
Old 04-14-2008, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Kelly you are just awesome! I can't stop watching those videos.....I need my car back!

I'll be in the same boat as you when it comes to the tranny though so I feel your pain.
Old 04-16-2008, 04:27 AM
9 Second Club

Afterdynoing tonight it ruff due to the timing map. We smoothed mine out alot.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Regular

What does the E-boost in the vent do again how does it work ?
Old 04-17-2008, 10:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eboost is electronic boost controller and boost guage.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:47 AM
Teching In

keliente,

You say your running a stock 4l60e, as of right now my car is in the shop getting a

walbro twin fuel pump system,
the APS system
the vig 3600 triple lock up,
and the Level V 4l60e,

you said your going to run your stock tranny til next year (or til you need a new one im sure lol) once i get my car back ill give her a little street pounding and play around and if you want to know what i think of the tranny i would be more than happy to share it with you. wont be back til late may or early june cuz im still in Iraq. but i would like to talk to you one on one about your set up cuz other than the parts mentioned above im running all stock. Oh and not to forget... Wicked Clean ride keliente i envy you for now lol

Zac
Old 04-21-2008, 01:39 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by 2FNQUIK
$5995 plus shipping costs to your destination,

Peter
Old 04-21-2008, 02:08 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by peter@aps
$5995 plus shipping costs to your destination,

Peter
How about answering my pm
Old 04-21-2008, 02:43 AM
On The Tree

keliente, very nice and most impressive, I can only hope that I do so well. Did you happen to get anymore pictures of the UMI K-member and the fit with the turbos, ducts, and so on? How much did you need to reclock the compressor side and are the inlet ducts or discharge ducts being pinched.

Quick Reply: My APS TT dyno results & info