Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Aerodynamics Help

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aerodynamics Help

I have an 02 Trans Am with a D1SC and twin 4.5 inch intercoolers. My question is, can I increase the airflow, through the intercoolers, by moving the, ATI supplied intercooler air damns, from the back of the intercooler to the front? My thinking is, by building a high pressure area in front of the intercooler, it will cause a low pressure area behind the intercooler, thus pulling more air through the hole in the front bumper cover. The way it is set up now I have a high pressure area at the bumper cover where the top of the intercooler is. And then an air damn at the back bottom of the intercooler causeing a high pressure area at the bottom. If I understand aerodynamics correctly, there is basically little to no airflow through the intercooler due to the high pressure air on both top and bottom. Any helpful comments are appreciated.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:12 PM
TECH Addict

in theory that would prob work pretty well if thats the method to properly create proper pressure accross your intercoolers... have I tried it? No. haha.

curious to hear what others have to say too.
Old 04-09-2008, 06:54 PM
Teching In

Hahaha, i like the thinking. I have a BS and MS in aeronautical engineering. That being said, can I help? Not a chance, haha. Airflow around objects is not simple at all once you have many other objects disturbing the flow (bumpers, hoses, lights). I also have a procharger and thought about ways to increase the flow through the intercoolers. But, a couple of times at wide open and max boost (10psi) my IAT temps didnt increase as much as i thought it would and i was very satisfied, so i didnt think about changing the flow anymore. But one of the ideas i had was to mount scoops where the airdams are that curve towards the front of the car. Common sense says it should increase airflow. But like I said, airflow often throws curve ***** you never expect. The only way to get really good results would be to model the airflow with CFD. Let me know when you find someone that wants to do that. Goodluck!

Quick Reply: Aerodynamics Help