Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo build for my 89 GMC Sierra with a 5.3 Vortec

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2008, 11:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice build. Are all your hot pipes stainless? Where'd you get your flanges from?
Old 06-01-2008, 09:41 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes, All the hot pipes are 304 Staniless schedule 10. I got both flanges and mandrel work bends from Tim's Speed shop in Nashua, NH
Old 08-04-2008, 06:31 PM
10 Second Club

Wanted to post some pics of updated pics on my truck.

This is the gauge pod in place with the EGT, Wideband and boost

This is the Turbo 400 Im rebuilding. I got it for $150 and was sold to me as a TH475. when I took it apart it had helical cut planetary gear set. Which means its a 400. No biggie tho. Here are some shots of it apart. I have the Trans brake and overhaul kit ready to go.

Finally some pics of the Megasquirt and MSD 6LS mounted. I know they are not straight, but Ill fix that

WOW! 2 months since my last post?!? Really??? I suck. Anyways, I do have random pics of some work that I have done. Ill have to upload them when im not being lazy. Items I have completed...

TH400 is done and installed with reverse manual valvebody and Transbrake.

"Double pumper" (dual fuel pumps) setup is done and tank back installed

Fuel Rails and injectors installed
Timing cover was removed and fitting installed for turbo drain

Turbo drain installed
A pillar Gauges installed

75% of all wiring done

Here are some pictures and a very short video I took today. The truck runs and moves on its own. I tried to drive it out of the garage the first time, but the truck didnt move at all. No forward gears, no reverse. I was worried my pump or Torque converter was no good, because I reused them. But after dropping the pan, it was obvious I forgot to connected the detent lever to the manual valve. Whoops! I has replaced the detent shaft(lever shaft) in the truck after rebuilding it. I was trying to swap the outside lever so it would work with my stock shifter when the shaft broke.
Anyways, After I reconnected the manual valve and got the truck started I had all my forward gears,transbrake and reverse. It works great. The transbrake I bought from REDNECK PERFORMANCE on ebay. I paid $300 bucks for it and am very happy with it so far. I wired my Transbrake to be activated by pressing the horn. I used a relay and a switch. The switch powers the coil side of the relay, when energized the circuit is opened from the horns and supplies 12 volts to the tbrake.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwT311j5bn4[/youtube]
Old 08-04-2008, 06:32 PM
10 Second Club

Pics I took a couple days ago of wiring all done....

Old 08-10-2008, 09:26 PM
Staging Lane

vary nice
Old 08-10-2008, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

any new dyno numbers?
Old 08-11-2008, 02:06 AM
TECH Resident

looks awesome! Love the setup and the truck it is extremely clean for what those trucks usually look like haha... Anyways what would look cool is shaving off that "vortec" painting it gloss black and sticking a gold chevy bowtie emblem or a matching GMC emblem on the front of the engine cover...stock looks good too but "vortec" just looks out of place to me there lol
Old 08-14-2008, 06:21 PM
10 Second Club

No new dyno numbers yet, had a few bugs/leaks to work out. Plus one of my fuel pumps died after only a 1/2 hr total of run time. Ill post updates as they come. But did do alot of tuning done and the thing pulls like a frieght train!
Old 08-14-2008, 06:30 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow that looks like a lot of work, but cool!!
Old 08-14-2008, 08:16 PM
On The Tree

Great build cant wait to see some numbers.

You should find another way to merge the two pumps. 90 degree bends are really bad for flow, and could have contributed to the pump failure.

It looks like you used AN fitting everywhere else, why not in the tank?
Old 09-26-2008, 01:51 AM
TECH Regular

Wow, nice build! I was searching for timing cover drains, and found your thread. You did a good job.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nice Bulid .
Old 09-26-2008, 03:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Awesome build man!!! Truck should move pretty good when you get it finished.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:05 AM
10 Second Club

Thanks Guys! The truck is currently down. This is copied and pasted from the Auto trans section!

I have 24 hours of drive time (about 2 months) on my project with minimal problems. My buddy and I were tuning my truck on the highway a few days ago. He was doing 3rd gear pulls while I was tuning. On the last pull the trans felt like it was being held back during engine braking. Then during light accel. We pulled over and there was trans fluid all under the truck and on the backside of the engine. We limped it back to the shop and had 1st and 2nd but third would act like someone was applying the brakes. At first I thought maybe a broken sprag in the converter, but it only did it in third, so that ruled that thought. Also Third is the only gear with engine braking. 1st and 2nd don't because I removed the intermediate band as part of the Transbrake kit.
Once I got back to the shop I put it in the air and found fluid everywhere, but no source. Did it comeout of the vent? whos knows. Cleaned up the area and topped off the fluid. (2 qts low) now I have 1st and Third, but no reverse, no second and no transbrake.(but the solenoid moves) Not sure whats going on....kinda sounds like cross channel leaks or something.
I had time today to pull the trans and take it apart. I usally take home a bunch of tools from work because I have a limited selection in the garage at home. But I didnt remember any of that on friday and ended up pulling the trans with all hand tools, which I havent done since I was 16. Alot of people do work at home without lifts and air tools. More power to you, because I was bitching. Before I pulled it I dropped the pan to see if there was debris. Look for yourself!

I was pretty sure what to expect when I got it opened up. Looked like broken case "lugs" in the pan.

Pics of trans removed and on the stand.

So, I was right. Broken Case lugs, Destroyed reverse band. Whole trans is fucked. Time to buy another and rebuild!
Here are the pics!

Old 09-26-2008, 06:35 AM
TECH Regular

Wow. Too much POWA!
Old 11-15-2008, 06:32 PM
10 Second Club

Well, after completely tearing apart the trans I found the cause...When I installed the pressure regulator spring in the pump, I installed the reverse boost valve in backwards. Results in even high line pressure all the time. (instaed of just reverse) Whoops, now on the search on craigslist for a used rebuildable th400.

Old 11-15-2008, 07:13 PM
TECH Regular

Oh man, that's crappy!
Old 11-16-2008, 09:33 AM
On The Tree

Man that sucks about the trany. and I know what you mean about working with hand tools at home!

I hope you get a new trans. because I would like to see some number!
Old 11-16-2008, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool build and great fab skills !!!
Good luck getting the trans back together and getting the beast back on the road.
Old 11-16-2008, 06:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by camarols1
Cool build and great fab skills !!!
Good luck getting the trans back together and getting the beast back on the road.
Thanks man!
I never did get a chance to take it to the track this year. I did drive it back and forth to work a few times and averaged about 10 mpg with a that trans and 3.73's.

I just checked out your build. Very nice!

Quick Reply: Turbo build for my 89 GMC Sierra with a 5.3 Vortec