Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Boost Controller Advice

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 02:47 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Boost Controller Advice

Guys,
I need some advice on boost controllers for my TT Camaro. I had the Greedy Profec B, but it's having problems, so now that I need to replace it, I'm looking for advice. (rather than just buying another profec B). I checked the APEX/GREEDY/HKS websites, and they all have some pretty fancy units. All I'm really looking for is an low boost/high boost setting that's reasonably accurate, and easy to switch between.

I'm sure you guys have some advice, so lets hear it.

Thanks.

Sean
Old 08-01-2003, 07:06 PM
Launching!

Default Re: Boost Controller Advice

How about a specific question.

What is a "fuzzy logic" electronic boost controller. I gather its a controller that reads information from the PCM to make different boost levels availible based of A/F and other factors.

Is that about right?
Old 08-01-2003, 09:12 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What kind of problems are you having?

I'm using an Innovative MSBC, between 12-21 lbs, and it works great.
Old 08-02-2003, 08:48 AM
Launching!

When I switch from low boost to high boost, I don't see any change in the actual PSI output. I think we may have found the problem with the wastegate though.

Regardless, that looks like a nice unit.

It mentions being able to controll boost basesd on gear and mph, do you have your's configured to do that?

Thanks.

Old 08-02-2003, 10:23 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I'd like to have an EBC that I can tie in to my trans brake and run say 15# boost on the brake, then when I launch I can ramp the boost up over time. Thoughts? I heard the Apexi or whatever worked good, but I don't want to ton of extra riceboy features to confuse me and make operating the thing over complicated.

Old 08-02-2003, 12:58 PM
Launching!

I am using a classic manual boost controler. Its just a presure relief valve. Ball and spring. You can't adjust it from the seat, but its not bad. So cheap and so effective. $15.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:44 PM
Launching!

Mark;
I thought about going with the manual, but I'm looking at about a 9psi differnce on pump gas for low verses high boost, which makes for allot of fun messing with people on the highway.

Brady;
I have the same problem you do. I'd like to have the boost controller make an increase in boost based on speed, (Let me hook up with lower boost, then slowly raise the boost as I get faster). I see it as a great way to deal with traction issues, and get right on that edge of cutting the tires loose.

I also don't like the big unneccesary blue display all of the fancier units seem to have.

Sean
Old 08-02-2003, 01:47 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Are these like a manual boost control valve? They have one that is adjustable from in the car.

<a href="http://www.turbosmart.com.au/boost_control_valves_gated.htm" target="_blank"><font color="red">http://www.turbosmart.com.au/boost_c...lves_gated.htm<!--color--></font></a>
Old 08-02-2003, 01:56 PM
Launching!

XLR8NSS;
That looks like an interesting option. The dual stage plus the twin turbo option would be a perfect no frills solution for me if I end up replacing my Profec B.

Has anyone seen an LT1/LS1 with a boost controller taking in data from the PCM? (To provide the dynamic boost curve I talked about above?)

Sean

Quick Reply: Boost Controller Advice