Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

QMP Turbo Kit - NEW Dyno Results !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 09:50 AM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: QMP Turbo Kit - NEW Dyno Results !!!

Rob any plans for a turbo kit for the new GTO.I'm going to buy one.You could use my car for a test bed.Thanks for starting this thread it opened my eyes.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:02 AM
TECH Apprentice

good stuff glad to see some more good numbers.

Rob, i sent you a pm.

Old 08-03-2003, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To Rice ETRS defense, i would have asked a few of the same questions?
i was curius why Shawn sold his kit as i didnt read the 10 page flame war, and the use of race gas i didnt know, and mightmouses boost problem?

just curious with those questions, not pointing fingers or flaming.

The questions were asked a little harsh and
it seemed harsh how you answered his questions Rob
every body just needs to be a little easier to stop the wars.
people just have questions.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

wonderful numbers again of course. and i am really happy to see you took to edit well. i know it will beneifit you in the long rung with the kit.

could you please let me know the gm part number of the maf you are using on that car? and also what was the peak maf frequency you saw during the runs.

lastly, as soon as any of your high hp customers would allow, it would really help me to see dyno information on cars with your kit above 530rwhp.

last thing if you could, i see the peak hp rpm moving lower and lower as the boost goes up. is this because of the stock cam profile, too much lsa? that could be exactly my problem..
Old 08-03-2003, 01:14 PM
Launching!

Hey Rob, how many kits are in line before mine? I know you got a couple of turbos last week and shipped out 02bluefirehawks kit and he ordered like a week before me. Any word from precision when the next set of turbos are coming in? I tried emailing them again and they didnt reply.

Corry Kemendo
Old 08-03-2003, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Chris - I didn't necessarily notice any valve float in any of the dyno pulls, but more noticed it in the dyno graph itself. Though not as bad as I have seen on a lot of cars. Shawn's car was much worse originally. However, after we put valve springs on his car, the HP stayed nearly flat all the way to 6200.
The pulls were all done on a Dynojet 248C. The boost is exactly the same on the dyno as on the street. Actually, every turbo car I have ever tested on the dyno made the exact same boost on the dyno as on the street. My cars included. Of course, not being fully loaded (as you would be on a Mustang Dyno) the cars will lean out quite a bit on the street. Which is why I always tune to a max of 11.8:-12.0:1 on boosted apps. Though I really prefer to see 11.5:1 for all pump gas, stock engine turbo cars.
Regarding the oil drain location....maybe I wasn't clear. It has been draining to the same location (the drain plug on the pan) on Shawn's car for over a year and 30,000 miles now, with no problem. We also had it the same way on John Roosa's car (BlackZ28Turbo), and also never had a problem. I'm not saying that I don't believe that it's better to tap at the front of the pan, above the oil level. But I am saying that it can work just fine as we designed it to, with proper oil pressure and line restriction. We have never tested it on a built motor with a HV oil pump. MM did, and had smoking issues. But as it turned out, his smoking was actually due to a turbo that was machined/assembled wrong by PTE from the beginning. By the time he had it repaired, he had already changed his drain location to the front of the pan. So we may never know.

Smokinhawk - How's it goin? Long time no see, huh? I'd be happy to answer those questions. Shawn is selling his car, as his interest in racing has diminished. He posted this himself in the "other" thread. He is a now Mortgage Broker, and I assume visiting clients and driving them around in a 530rwhp Turbo TA may not be as luxurious to them as he would like. He moved away to a small town (no race track), and re-evaluated his priorities I suppose.
The race gas question I answered in my last post. And MM's boost problem could be related to his boost controller, was what RICE ETR was inferring I was saying. Though as I've said many times, I believe his boost problem is related to his engine's efficiency, or too small of a turbo, or maybe even both.
The reason why my response to RICE ETR was/is harsh, is because all he does is flames me (you'd have to do a search on him vs me,and read). I have always responded politely before, but there is only so much a person can take. In fact, I have NOTHING nice to say to him anymore. I will take the moderator's advise, and ignore him from here on out. As I would suggest everyone does, since he has no real knowledge of anything as far as I can see.

MM - we are using the Granatelli 85mm MAF that is included with our complete kit. I didn't make note of the peak frequency, but if I think about it next time we are on the dyno, I'll check it.
Regarding our customers making over 530rwhp....that's up to them to post. Not me. However, my new engine is going in my car this week, along with our complete kit (with the exception of a larger intercooler) and a T-74 Q-Trim turbo again. This is a stock cube, aluminum block running a FAST system with 95lb injectors, and LS1 Edit for spark control with a Cartek computer adapter box. (this is so I can keep all of the factory guages working with teh FAST system) Not sure how it'll all turn out, but I'll post results hopefully by next weekend.
And you are right about the HP peak RPM dropping with added boost. I'm not sure what your problem is being caused by yet, but I think Jonathan's is more related to his valve springs. We'll know for sure as soon as we install new ones.

Cory - If I'm not mistaken, I think you are two kits behind 02bluefirehawk. Which would mean that if Precision gets us two more turbo's this week (as they promised they would do on Friday), that your kit should go out within the next 7-10 days. Check with me or Jonathan on Monday to find out for sure your order in line. Thanks for being so patient by the way. I know it's not easy.

Old 08-03-2003, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

HEy rob, nice #'s man. That car should go real good. And dont let the BS bother you man.
Old 08-03-2003, 03:20 PM
On The Tree

Thanks Scott. I'm trying to overlook it all. It's just frustrating when you work so hard at something and a few people feel the need to tear you down.

BTW, you get that beast into the 9's yet?? Tranny problems solved? I need to see some video!

Old 08-03-2003, 03:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rob, if I can find a stock long block for really cheap I'd buy your kit and slap it in the Cannibal and set the 427 aside as a core

Boost is cool
Old 08-03-2003, 03:45 PM
On The Tree

Levi! Wow, the old gang is coming out of the woodwork!
You check on Ebay for a longblock? There were several on there pretty cheap a few weeks ago.

How fast are you running now with the MTI 427? HP and TQ?? From what I hear, it's a pretty mean machine.
Old 08-03-2003, 04:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Rob have u ever came up with a price for me on ur T88 setup. Ive called ur office left a message. Im still wanting the kit. Thanks Justin
Old 08-03-2003, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

hmm i never knew it was a recalibrated 85 from granitelli, only that it was an 85. this means that you are able to go to over 500 grams per second and up to 12khz on that 99 before having to do any big P.E. number crunching. I have not seen more than 11,800hz so far but mine stops calibrating for me at 11,250(all 98 cars) so my maf stops working for me at 3500rpm.. you will run into that problem when you get ahold of an install on a 98 car reguardless of the meter.
Old 08-03-2003, 07:32 PM
On The Tree

Justin - Give me a call tomorrow. I still have everything. My voice mail hasn't worked in months. I probably didn't recognize the number.

MM- We did install one on a '98 car. Actually TWO '98's. Mine and John Roosa's. No problem.
Old 08-03-2003, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds good rob ill call u on your cell tommorow. If i cant reach you ill try your office. Thanks Justin
Old 08-03-2003, 07:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats Rob

You keep making me rethink going nitrous
Old 08-03-2003, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Location: its as intense as the time i forgot how to sit down

very nice #s rob i feel a lot better now. i just wish i could get ahold of you to get some info on my status summer is going to be winding down in n.e soon.also im kindo a cheap *** sometime and ive done a lot of research to get the best kitand of all others yours seems to be the best.i hope because i just opened up a performance section of my shop and am using my car as an example so dont stop selling turbos because if everything goes well there will be a hell of a lot more to sell
Old 08-03-2003, 08:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

those cars were with an ew tune though correct?
Old 08-03-2003, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Location: its as intense as the time i forgot how to sit down

oh yeah also i was wondering i have a borla adjustable cat back on mine will that flow good enough with the kit,p.s please excuse my typing im the poster model for the pick and peck it all looks good untill i post it then read it
Old 08-03-2003, 08:43 PM
On The Tree

I'm probably going to be difficult to get a hold of all week again. I'm having more major medical problems in my family right now.

My father is still having heart problems, and he goes back in for another surgery (maybe two surgeries) this week. My grandmother had a stroke last week. And one of my best friends just found out that his mother may have cancer and needs to have immediate surgery this week also. My 16yr old stepdaughter had her physical for Soccer today, and they found a Heart murmur (sp?). So we have to take her to the hospital tomorrow for more tests. On top of that, her grandmother has an inoperable brain stem tumor and was admitted to the hospital yesterday for seizures (sp?). I must be living wrong.

If that's not enough, I'm booked with Dyno tuning appointments all week. Which means when I'm not on the Dyno, I'll probably be at the hospital.

All that, and I have to put up with RICE ETR's mouth to boot. Now maybe you can see why I reacted like I did. I'm on edge.
Old 08-03-2003, 08:55 PM
On The Tree

those cars were with an ew tune though correct?
Yes they were. I was just saying that it IS possible to make a '98 work correctly with an 85mm MAF. At least up to over 700 HP. That was all.

Maybe your money would be best spent with Ed Wright tuning? Since the MAF seems to be a huge source of problems for you with LS1 Edit tuning.

Quick Reply: QMP Turbo Kit - NEW Dyno Results !!!