Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

QMP Turbo Kit - NEW Dyno Results !!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Location: its as intense as the time i forgot how to sit down
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: QMP Turbo Kit - NEW Dyno Results !!!

wow im relly sorry to hear all that rob i hope everything gets better,although i know how you are feeling i just lost someone real close and both my grandparent recently passed away from cancer so if i had to put up with rice etr i would have handled it a lot worse,i really hope things get better you just have to look on the bright side of things
Old 08-03-2003, 09:10 PM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will not reply to this post anymore....I give up... hopefully in time everyone will eventually see that i am not full of ****, and am not really an arsehole but merely someone who is speaking from first hand experience with this kit.
True, i do not actually own one, but that does not mean i haven't spent as much time(probably more) around it than someone who does own one.

Rob, i am TRULY sorry for the problems your family is having. My uncle is dying of lung cancer as we speak...after all the operations, radiation, medicine, etc.. still dying... so i can only imagine what you are going through.

Your kit and your family are two completely different things... even though i do not agree with you on many things concerning your kit... the important issue here is your family.
So.. God bless you and your family.... best of luck with your kit... i'm out.

-Jarrod
Old 08-03-2003, 10:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

so then the answer is no, you have not edit tuned any 98 cars yet with that maf. thats all i asked.

my current maf and my edit tune are working perfectly well for me right now, you just want me to try an 85 and an 85mm maf would be more of a pain, but no more of a problem. i know yours is a 98 and of course you were using ew to get 700rwhp.

side not the turbo is on the way to precision monday for an upgrade and heads are off to ARE when they get back from summer holidays. everything seems to be great inside the engine though i found out the block is not o-ringed as it was supposed to be.. silly ARE i guess thats an easy one to forget to do.
Old 08-03-2003, 10:47 PM
On The Tree

Thank you Jarrod.

MM - I read a lot of sarcasm in you last reply. Maybe that's just me. No big deal.

So yes, you are right. Since I clearly said that I had only tuned one car EVER with Edit, and we all know that the car I tuned is a '99, I thought your question was either pointless, or more likely, trying to make a point.

So now that you found out your motor isn't O-ringed like you PAID for....are you and RICE ETR going to start a thread entitled "My Problems With My ARE Engine"?? Just curious.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

everything seems to be great inside the engine though i found out the block is not o-ringed as it was supposed to be.. silly ARE i guess thats an easy one to forget to do.
Wow, that's an oversight . Isn't the machining for that pretty high dollar?
Old 08-04-2003, 12:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Levi! Wow, the old gang is coming out of the woodwork!
You check on Ebay for a longblock? There were several on there pretty cheap a few weeks ago.

Rob, would I have to do a lot to throw your kit on here? I run 11.25:1 compression. Just looking for moderate boost, i.e. 8 lbs.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:31 AM
On The Tree

Honestly Levi, I'm not sure how much boost you could run on that engine with that compression. And I doubt there's any significant amount of boost that could be run on pump gas.

Sounds like you've got a nice running car already. Might be best to stay with your NA setup, and just keep tweaking it. If you really want to go turbo though, I can research it for you and get you a definite answer.

Wow, that's an oversight . Isn't the machining for that pretty high dollar?
And that's a bit of an understatement. MM's engine was supposed to be Double O-Ringed with copper head gaskets, big studs, and built EXACTLY like mine. Turns out, he has street ported heads, stock valves, no O-rings at all, and who knows what else is different from mine. (Does it have the big head studs?) But you do have to be impressed by the fact it held together at over 25lbs of boost!

After reading that his heads weren't O-Ringed like he was told they were (and paid for), it got me to thinking about his boost loss problem. Maybe the head gaskets simply couldn't contain the boost? Before we double O-ringed my block and heads, my ARE engine allowed boost into the coolant passages, and pressurized my radiator. The head gaskets weren't actually blown, they just "leaked". Since MM's aren't o-ringed at all, maybe that's his problem with holding boost? And since his car smokes, maybe the boost isn't leaking into the coolant passages, but rather into the crankcase and forcing oil pressure back into the turbo drain, causing the smoke?

Hmmm...a possibility other than our kit being bad???? Nah...couldn't be.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:37 AM
On The Tree

This makes me also wonder about Warbirds overheating issues. What does he have for headgaskets? O-Ringed, or not? Since he said it didn't run hot with the crossover pipe disconnected (meaning: no boost), but does with it connected, maybe he's also getting some heat into places it shouldn't be when under boost??
Old 08-04-2003, 07:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

here is where i said a 98 computer reads less air than 99+ and that makes editing more of an effort
you will run into that problem when you get ahold of an install on a 98 car reguardless of the meter.
here is where you said they worked fine on 2 installes, i was definitely talking about editing 98s and you switched to talking about using a 85 maf on a 98 wihtout noting it
MM- We did install one on a '98 car. Actually TWO '98's. Mine and John Roosa's. No problem.
heres where i clarified
those cars were with an ew tune though correct?
here's where you validated an answer for a question i didnt ask and then downed my tuning capability even though you have not edit tuned a 98 with or without an 85 maf before

Yes they were. I was just saying that it IS possible to make a '98 work correctly with an 85mm MAF. At least up to over 700 HP. That was all.

Maybe your money would be best spent with Ed Wright tuning? Since the MAF seems to be a huge source of problems for you with LS1 Edit tuning.
so you see now i was just looking for clarification, i guess you mis interpreted my original remarks.

as far as ARE goes.. entirely different subject but if you want some more info on it the entire motor in my car right now was free as in I didn't even pay shipping. It was supposed to be like your just with stock CI and street heads. I got the engine for free because i was not happy with my first purchase from them. I took the heads off while the car is down for the turbo change, and they will go to ARE for a pre-arranged FREE rework to fix them too, because i was not happy with them. I have faith that Wade will work everything out even though It was not his company when the engine deal was set up. Prop's to ARE for understanding what my money is worth to me and that I expect to get what I pay for.

boost problem: i know what blown headgaskets symptoms are from experience.. on my more perf. motor (tuned by EW) when it blew the hg's it pressurized the coolant bigtime.. this motor doesn't/didn't do that. and to leak boost out of them and not be able to hold boost i would have to be loosing over 100hp worth of air right out the side of the engine, and I doubt that but hey, i did take the whole kit and heads off for inspection (i will call and email you some pictures) so anything of course is up for scrutanization(sp?) and i welcome it.

feel free to pm me further no need to make any additions here.

on topic: could you please post pictures of this kit re-installed along with the other media? also how much is this granitelli maf? if you really think this stocker is limiting my airflow into the engine then i will try (buy) it for you.
Old 08-04-2003, 07:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

MM, free engine, can't argue with that
Old 08-04-2003, 10:04 AM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice #'s...
Old 08-04-2003, 12:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Rob,

This might be a bit off topic, but I was looking at the numbers and I notice a >100% efficiency on the stock to 4.5/5 lb setup. In that I mean, by adding 4.5-5lbs of boost, I would expect the power to go up by (14.7 + ~5)/14.7...or roughly 34%. The other boost increases (7 and 9 lbs) agree pretty well with that calc, meaning the efficiency for your kit is pretty damn good! I'm not questioning the data, I was questioning MY FI knowledge. Feel free to e-mail of PM if you'd rather not bog down this post with a technical explanation. Thanks!
Old 08-04-2003, 01:31 PM
On The Tree

I believe that the lower boost level HP numbers are due to the compressor map of the TE-63 turbo.
It doesn't get into its' real efficiency range until around 7psi. From there on, it's an animal.

At least that's the short of it anyway. I won't be able to answer here very often this week. I am using the public computer at the Hospital, and it's difficult to get online. I've decided to take most of the week off and spend it with my family.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Rob-

First I'm sorry to hear about your family problems. I hope things get better for you.

Second- For the people that have ordered your tuner kits (like me), is it possible to get the LS1edit file for a good base reference to start off with. When we talked, we both agreed that EW tuning wouldn't be worth it since I live in Denver (5800ft). I'd be willing to pay you for the ls1edit file.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:24 PM
On The Tree

Hey Rob this is Rob Mattingly, I am planning on coming up next Mon. Will you be around? I am interested in looking at you setup. Let me know if you will be there.
Old 08-04-2003, 02:32 PM
TECH Regular

So now that you found out your motor isn't O-ringed like you PAID for....are you and RICE ETR going to start a thread entitled "My Problems With My ARE Engine"?? Just curious.
Old 08-04-2003, 03:38 PM
TECH Regular

I just want to see the power curve.

Screw that, I would like to FEEL that power curve.

What the hell kind of tranny is holding that power
Old 08-04-2003, 03:56 PM
TECH Apprentice

I believe that the lower boost level HP numbers are due to the compressor map of the TE-63 turbo.
It doesn't get into its' real efficiency range until around 7psi. From there on, it's an animal.

At least that's the short of it anyway. I won't be able to answer here very often this week. I am using the public computer at the Hospital, and it's difficult to get online. I've decided to take most of the week off and spend it with my family.
Thanks for the reply...that makes sense. Don't worry about giving a short response, the family is much more important.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:05 PM
Adkoonerstrator

Rob - Not to hijack this thread but, have you ever thought of building a turbo kit for the newer trucks?

BTW, sorry to hear about all your family health issues.
Old 08-04-2003, 04:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

jcs30th, i've been using a spec stage 4 ceramic clutch (unsprung disk) along with a jim mattison built t-56 and up until this weekend have been daily driving it with over 800# of tq to the crank, and they are both holding up beautifully.

i believe rob is reccomending rossler automatics, check with blacktaturbo or ssooblue for more info.

Quick Reply: QMP Turbo Kit - NEW Dyno Results !!!