Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

how much Boost at 10.5

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 05:18 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default how much Boost at 10.5

Hey guys, I just got a 416 short block from Scoggin Dickey. I have a set of Patriot heads with 72cc chambers that should put me at 10.5 compression. I am looking at a Procharger D1. Am I going to have detonation issues? How much boost can I safely run before needing meth? I am currently running a STS @ 11PSI on the stock bottom....have been for a year.
I am planning on using my current cam (224/224 581/581 114) I think that should be good for FI, and I already own it, but feel free to chime in. Basically, and everyone can attest to this....I hate taking my car apart (lazy). I want to put this together once and drive it. I also have the option of using 64cc heads and getting a larger cam. I think that would be in the 500RWHP N/A range. I am looking to make 650 RWHP with the Procharger.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:31 PM
Staging Lane

Why do you care about how much boost you can push? why not just worry about air flow, each blower or turbo is different. So if you worry about how much air you can flow you will have more acurate #'s.
Old 04-28-2008, 09:02 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Chiet_SS
Why do you care about how much boost you can push? why not just worry about air flow, each blower or turbo is different. So if you worry about how much air you can flow you will have more acurate #'s.
Ok...I'll bite. I have no idea what you are talking about There is going to be more airflow involved to push 10 PSI in a 416 than a 346 but isn't 10 PSI 10 PSI relative to the size of the engine, load, exhaust.....etc.? I am looking for a starting point... Also, how am I to measure this airflow? The CFM rating of the D1 with different pulleys? Which numbers will be more accurate? I realize if I have say stock manifolds I will have higher boost than headers, but that does not mean I will have more power.
I care about how much boost I can push because I don't want to grenade my new motor
Old 04-28-2008, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

I dont want to seem rude, but, it seems evident to me that you need to do more research on your setup. Engines that you build, and plan to supercharge (whether it be a blower or turbo) Should be built in a certain fashion. Its a huge numbers game, not just this part + that part = good numbers. If you are really interested in getting the best numbers with the best longevity, you need to begin by choosing what fuel you will run all or most of the time. If you plan to drive it on the street regularly, i would go with 93. Start figuring out how much boost you want to run, then figure your head size to get the right compression ratio to reduce chance of detonation. This is highly simplified to the kinda math you should be doing, but its a basic start. I think you might want to order a book or two specifically on building forced induction motors.
Old 04-29-2008, 08:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by redls1bird
I dont want to seem rude, but, it seems evident to me that you need to do more research on your setup. Engines that you build, and plan to supercharge (whether it be a blower or turbo) Should be built in a certain fashion. Its a huge numbers game, not just this part + that part = good numbers. If you are really interested in getting the best numbers with the best longevity, you need to begin by choosing what fuel you will run all or most of the time. If you plan to drive it on the street regularly, i would go with 93. Start figuring out how much boost you want to run, then figure your head size to get the right compression ratio to reduce chance of detonation. This is highly simplified to the kinda math you should be doing, but its a basic start. I think you might want to order a book or two specifically on building forced induction motors.
I am REALLY not that interested....Thanks. I get me one of them there book thingys and then I be smaaaart? If you didn't want to seem rude, why so condesending?
I will just take my crappy slapped together setup and throw 8 PSI at it and see what happens..... I have been throwing 11 PSI on my crappy used STS setup and my 100,000 mile stock lower end that I tuned myself on the street for a year now, it goes great and is still together. I don't have an unlimited budget, I work with what I have, all the research in the world won't buy me parts.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:43 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by zapp168
Hey guys, I just got a 416 short block from Scoggin Dickey. I have a set of Patriot heads with 72cc chambers that should put me at 10.5 compression. I am looking at a Procharger D1. Am I going to have detonation issues? How much boost can I safely run before needing meth? I am currently running a STS @ 11PSI on the stock bottom....have been for a year.
I am planning on using my current cam (224/224 581/581 114) I think that should be good for FI, and I already own it, but feel free to chime in. Basically, and everyone can attest to this....I hate taking my car apart (lazy). I want to put this together once and drive it. I also have the option of using 64cc heads and getting a larger cam. I think that would be in the 500RWHP N/A range. I am looking to make 650 RWHP with the Procharger.
A D-1SC on a 416 is going to be on the small side, and will have to be spun fairly hard. You really should consider the F-1A, which would not be working nearly as hard which will keep the inlet air temps much cooler. I don't see you having any problems at 10 to 12 psi of boost with 93 octane fuel with your 10.5/1 compression ratio. I'd recommend methanol if you want anymore boost than 12 psi. Bob
Old 04-30-2008, 07:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

You are going to have problems with that head unit size (D1SC) and the DCR with that cam choice and static comp.

At minimum I would change the cam to drop the DCR and run an F1A blower setup pullied for about ~10#s boost. With careful tuning it should live provided you have a boost ready piston in it. (see below)

With that motor I'm guessing you have a 4.1 stroke...How is the ringland setup on those pistons and pin placement? You might not be able to run any significant boost or spray on that motor.

Good luck,
Chris

Quick Reply: how much Boost at 10.5