Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

need help with YSI from S trim upgrade!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need help with YSI from S trim upgrade!

i was running a vortech S trim and everything has worked fine but im now rebuilding for more boost and bought a new YSI blower...... i have been talking to a few guys but im trying to look at all my options on making this thing fit in and work the best without costing me an arm and a leg...... they say that the YSI will fit in place with minor massaging and a lil machine work/grinding but at the same time i see that the S trim mount aint exactly the strongest looking thing in the world...... i really need some good genuine info from some of the guys that may have been through this or know someone who makes a good bracket...... i have read a few things on some searches but dont get all the info i need and the topics normally go dead before the important info is discussed...... thanks for any helpfull info guys! jake
Old 04-30-2008, 10:05 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Z8's is your man, I'm sure he'll be on later.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

cool! i talk often with jeff at versafuel acceleronics and he did the same thing only with YS trim instead of a YSI.....i assume its basicly the same headunit but its been 10+years since he did all the work and so i dont expect him to know exactly everything he had to do to get it to fit or what bracket he bought....... i just want this done right the first time and i dont want anything to break in the process....... being able to talk to all the guys on here really helps out and im thankfull for the helpfull people on LS1TECH! jake
Old 05-20-2008, 03:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i never heard from him i dont think....... i need some help with this if anyone knows what to do......
Old 05-20-2008, 03:59 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Jeff and Chris (Z8's) are two of very few LT1 guys that have run YS/YSi blowers on LT1's. You can try PM'ing Chris.
Old 05-20-2008, 04:25 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LittleRedZ has a YSi setup. PM him, he's getting his setup back together soon.
Old 05-21-2008, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

whats up conrad! yeah i been looking for a few guys that have been there done that with my application...... 9 secondZ "jeff" basicly did the same thing as me going from the S trim with an LT1 to a YSI but said its been so long he doesnt have some of the info and pictures he took...... this might not be a very hard thing to do at all and vortech actually says that the YSI will bolt up to the S trim bracket but most say it needs some mild machine work and really needs an aftermarket custom bracket to be right..... im all ears for those that know for sure
Old 05-21-2008, 10:06 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Chris was making custom brackets back in the day, and maybe RMCR used to make them too, you could contact both and see, and see what the prices are.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

will do...... i hate the fact that most people are just leaving us LTX guys out in the cold just cause there is a newer engine out..... the 5.0 guys still have all theyre stuff going still..... i dont understand really but oh well..... but thanks for reply though john
Old 05-21-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i hate the fact that most people are just leaving us LTX guys out in the cold just cause there is a newer engine out..... the 5.0 guys still have all theyre stuff going still..... i dont understand really but oh well..... but thanks for reply though john

I hear ya on that! I just got done puttin on an f1a and had to do quite a bit of "massaging" to get it to work.
Good luck with the build!
Old 05-21-2008, 02:56 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

I hear you, I think you guys should be allowed to run at the LSX Shootout, back in the day we always included you guys in our shootouts. I ran a YSi with my LS1 car back in the day went 9.40@143mph @ 680 rwhp.
Old 05-21-2008, 03:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

by the way what mm turbo does the YSI compair to john? im glad i went tward the YSI over the T trim cause i can always up the boost later on if i want more power.... im probly only gonna use the blower at 70% potential on this next motor cause i want it to last a good while and have a lil fun on the street too..... people love turbos and thats all good but most turbos have lag and superchargers dont! yeah they might make more power up top but by then you done put 5 cars on the guy before he hits his power band
Old 05-21-2008, 03:49 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Good question, my first response is I am not sure, but consider the following datapoints.

Ford boys have run low 8's with YSi's in 3200-ish race cars like in the NMRA Renegade class. I know they have run 8.5's, maybe 8.2's? That's with less than 350 cubes and with like 26-30 lbs of boost (off the top of my head I'm sure someone knows better).

So I'm thinking that somewhere around a 80-88mm turbo would compare, though turbo selection is also dependent on engine displacement.

NMRA Drag radial pits X-Trims against either 85 or 88mm turbos these days.
Old 05-22-2008, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

cool, i know its not the same compairing the 2 but i was just wondering...... also one reason i like to use blowers is cause they seem to have nasty power down really low and everywhere else and it seems the turbo aint got crap until 4,000 rpms but you get a lil extra power over the blower up top on a turbo..... also the blower kits normally are very easy to install and everything comes with it and mounts up nice...... compaired to a turbo having custom headers normally made, have to go get half of the stuff for yourself that didnt come with the kit..... its a bitch to get tuned and stay tuned...... is that about the way you feel too? if not let me know why you choose them over turbos? jake

Quick Reply: need help with YSI from S trim upgrade!