Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

PTK ground clearance?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 11:15 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PTK ground clearance?

How is the ground clearance for this kit? it looks like its not to good from the pics any first hand experiences???
Old 05-11-2008, 11:55 PM
TECH Resident

Well, if you have a T56 it's gonna be like this (ouch):

Old 05-12-2008, 12:23 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man your car must be really low.... I have the kit and have had it for 9-10K city miles and I have exactly 3 scratches in that pipe, and 1 of them was from a speed bump that I knew it'd scrape on. I have a t56 too. I hear the pipe tucks much higher on an automatic.
Old 05-12-2008, 07:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you're buying a PTK/PTS kit, buy it used and off someone you meet in person. You'll never get the stuff if you try to buy it new from PTK. Ask me how I know... http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/in...?topic=95839.0
Old 05-12-2008, 10:02 AM
TECH Resident

Yah, Steve, I've got it back up a little higher now. The main damage resulted from bottoming at speed on an undulating twisty. One of those = 17 speed bumps, I think.

I've heard that these were made for automatics, too. Not that PTK ever said anything about it

Rich
Old 05-17-2008, 04:33 PM
TECH Regular

pros and cons of the kit guys??
Old 05-17-2008, 05:41 PM
TECH Resident

First and foremost, I assume you'd be buying the kit from a private seller... not PTK?

I think there are a couple of newer and better designs out there now; if I were looking to start a new turbo project I would not spend my time and $$ on a PTK kit.

That said, my car is fully spooled at 3000 rpm and makes very good power and FAT torque all the way from there. It's a blast to drive. It doesn't reach what a T76 can do, but it's still more torque than MT drag radials can handle.

Downsides were mostly seen by the guys that installed it and had to spend a lot of time getting things to fit right. Alternator relocation did not go smoothly. Cooling is difficult unless you ditch the AC or work up a nice shrouded fan system... or go with an aftermarket radiator. The cross-pipe under the trans you already know about.

Any kit that you buy will only be as good as the tuner, and I think that's a good place to start... pick somebody with f-body FI (preferably turbo) tuning experience and see what's already been done in your area.

Are you ditching your Phamspeed kit? Or starting another project?
Old 05-17-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Regular

I am trying to figure out a better way for the downpipe. The pipe is completely smashed to about 2 inch. There is also issues with the oil drain. Im looking for a cheap fix.

Quick Reply: PTK ground clearance?