Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

twin turboing my 99 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 08:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default twin turboing my 99 corvette

Alright so i figured i'd toss my build up here and ask advise on turbo size . locations , hp performance kits and so on and so on

-First of all .. Names Mac i bought my corvette just over a month ago and have had dreams of boost way before .. I have built and owned lots of boosted Hondas , Nissan's,Toyota's and work @ Modern Muscle Car in Langley BC. as Head Tech .. This is my first v8 custom boost build up so help is greatly appr. looking at the hp kit .. my plan is building a twin turbo kit . fender mounted !

First Things First

-Manifolds!! My plan is to buy a shorty header cut the flange off and install a v-ban than build the u shaped pipe to mount tubro to the fender locations

So wich manifolds would be good to go with .. other than buying the hp manifolds ... Reason i'm not doing the hp kit is i'm very very **** about my cars and want eveything build strong to last have huge quality not E-bay style ceramic thin walled piping ... This being said i have only seeing one of the hp kits i love the idea just the thin walled pipeing scares me ... from past experience with honda's .... I Have had more than a few shitty manifolds break ....

here's the hp kit http://www.turbochargedpower.com/97-08%20Corvette.htm

NEXT- turbo's ....

I love huge turbo's and i have built some stupid things .. gt42R on a 94 honda prelude h22a ..90 4door civic gt3540R build D16a6.. T67 1JZ swap 89 supra ...67mm custom t3t4 turbonetics sr20 swap nissan sil80...And so on ... lots of good times.. sooo talking with a few of my buddies thinking of doing gt3576R or GT3040R.....
now thinking about this that's a huge volume of air out of each turbo and going to put down some very last hp numbers .... should probally keep a goal in mind .... wich i always toss out the window and go bigger everytime .....

soo the goal !! very mild boost ! 7-9lbs low boost .for now .. 500whp+++++ at very least .. wich should be very easy.... so should i just run with twin 60mm's ?? t3t4? or just big t4's .. spool time ..efficancy ....i still would love to autocross and drag strip once in a while .... 10's on street tires at least once ....... so i need some info from ppl who have build tt set up's before reccomendations ....pics.. get my brain rolling

going to be running two 44mm tial wastegates vban with 2" dumptubes.
3" dual exhaust into my already dual 3" ss borla

need to figure out
-FUEL "just pump upgrade and reg.. or return style system and full blown aeromotive system !!externall pump sump so on and so on ....
-intercooler hp kit ? style or 300zx tt front mount i was also thinking ... modifing
the sky is the limit with manifolds intercoolers and so on i'm a ticketed welder and sit on my tig many hours out of the week playing and learning ... soo toss some ideas around and lets get the ball rolling ... looking to start building around christmas !!

i LOVE the sleeper look so keeping the car looking STOCK is a MUST! even when the hood is poped!!!
thanks
Mac
Old 05-21-2008, 02:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i personally like the looks of the HP kit. there are some that dont though!lol

i would have a word with some peopel on the corvetteforum. there is a guys called corvette4ever that has one and he loves it! he is running T76 on a C5R motor!!!

on the turbo, GT35rs seem to work VERY well on LS motors! they spool very fast and are rated at 65lbs/min! they are T3 thoguh so would take some work in the stock kit, which i think has T4 flanges. the next choice would be the GT4088 or better the GT4094s. bothe good turbos and could flow enough for 1600bhp i think. also they are T4 so would bolt right up.

on the piping side i cna see whre you are coming from. you could however put a flexy joint on each of the pipes running form manifoldm to turbo and then solid mount the turbo to the chassis. that would take all the turbo weight of the manifolds but still allow the engine to move a little.

C5 are redound for getting a little hot when you start to boost them. and thanks to the rad layout, sticking a thick intercooler in front of them never hleps! it would be nice to see a manifold chargecooelr system! how about using the Laminova cores?? i hear they are increadably efficent and would be easy to package in there.

it sounds like this will be a very intresting project. i cant wait to see and hear more about it.

Chris.
Old 05-21-2008, 04:36 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out this Corvette we built using the HP kit, it may help you with a few ideas as I have a lot of pictures here.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=26 Bob
Old 05-21-2008, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info and pics on the site .... very very cool car ... i'm already full of idea's and can't wait the pictures got my wheels turning .. i'm very excited and can't wait to start ploting .
Wich turbo's are you running on the ttzo6 ?
Any word if the hp kit has gotten any better ? Seemed like quite the fun task lol ... looks very clean "very impressed" with what you had to work with..looks great

thanks
Mac
Old 05-22-2008, 01:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i think the kit has come on since EPP did that car. from what i have ehard that was one of the first kits. later ones have improved. they no run steel piping from the turbos to the intercooler and then a carbon fiber bridge to the throttle body.

just another idea for you...how about trying to use the stock manifolds?? this would be easier and much stronger than headers. also if you guys ever came out with a kit it would reduce the costs a good bit!

Cheers

Chris.
Old 05-22-2008, 02:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go at least 67's...If it were up to me I'd go 70's.

Quick Reply: twin turboing my 99 corvette