Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

???? About trim letters and turbos

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2008, 06:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ???? About trim letters and turbos

http://www.forcedinductions.com/productturbonetics.htm

I am interested in getting The TC 76 turbonetics turbo for my build . It is going to be a rear mount .

I understand most eveything else but what dose the P-trim mean ? And where can I find the charicteristics of the diffrent letter trims ? On FI.com they tell you trims in # form so its got me a bit confused .

Also why is this turbo so much cheaper then others with compaereable size form the same manufacturer . I am guessing it cause they would have BB and water cooled bearings . Is this turbo a good street turbo or should I look sof something else .
Old 05-27-2008, 01:46 PM

"P" trim refers to the turbine wheel. While this terminology is still being used, Turbonetics' technical description of the "P" trim wheel is "F1-65".

65 refers to the turbine wheels diameter in mm. I should note that the old "P" trim and the new "F1-65" are not interchangeable. They require their own turbine housing. Also, the old "P" trims are no longer in production. I believe FI.com is using the "P" and the "F1" to distinguish the smaller and larger turbine wheel available for the unit. Technically, turbine wheels should be separated as F1-65 and F1-68.

Most of our turbochargers are available in ceramic ball bearing or journal bearing. The price difference you are seeing is probably from the ball bearing upgrade as well as other customizable options; including a larger turbine wheel. I would highly recommend you to call the dealer to ensure that you are getting the right turbocharger for your application.

Good luck with your project.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

So the F1 has a 2mm bigger turbine

Thanks for the response man

Do the journal bearings were aout quicker then the BB units or is it just relate to spool times

Quick Reply: ???? About trim letters and turbos