Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Melted 6 spark plugs - what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 05:39 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

This is an old thread that appears to have been brought up again by a spammer ( now banned )

Be interesting to see how Pekka has got on though. As for that engine....it is absolutely impossible to tell for sure if there is any piston damage without stripping the engine, and given what has happened, no way would I even consider putting it together without removing the pistons..

Been there, done it and will not make that mistake again. Which gets even worse with melted plug tips, that can go down the side of a piston and cause damage.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Vetal
Pekka are you from Finland?
Yep, sorry, I've been offline for quite long time...
Old 10-06-2008, 10:38 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by calongo_SS
You need a new tuner. After you get a new tuner you should probably still change a few things with the setup. I'd go to a colder plug & a 3 bar OS.
I switched to 2 BAR OS. Don't know about the plugs yet. So still with TR6's.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:49 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by nuclearxp
I'd have to agree with everyone else. ANY tuner that sees a FI setup even start a WOT pull at 12.5 should have nixed the pull immediately.
Well, I'm doing tuning by myself now. Without any help from anyone I couldn't do it, but luckily I received a base 2-bar tune file from another forum fellow (I think he's active here as well..) and he also gave some advice how to go forward.

The car runs now quite well. I'm still trying to figure out some idle and low-speed driving issues. Apart from some hesitation when I suddenly accelerate and lift throttle at low speed, the engine seems to be running quite nicely.

I've also done some low-boost tuning and leaning the VE-table from very rich AFR (10.0 or less) to somewhere around 11...12.5. As I'm doing this first time, I like to go forward with small steps, so first I had rev-limiter set at 4000, then 5000 and now it is at 6000 rpm. I need to test more in dyno, as after 5000 it seems that there's no traction at all in the higways here in Europe where I'm driving... :-)

There has been a small amount of knock 1-2 degrees, so I have removed timing in those areas. First I was very scared when I noticed knock with AFR at 10.0, but as I've understood, it is also possible to have knock with very rich condition.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1dirtyZ
consult with a machineist regarding the scratches in the bores , i know pictures don't do justice to things like that , a machinist might deem that you just need a hone job.

heads can br resurfaced , but you should also check the valves and do a vaccume test at the machine shop just to make sure the heads are 100%
Well, I went to see my machinist and he noticed that six intake valves were bent and also there were some damage in exhaust seats. So I ordered 16 new valves. The heads were also resurfaced. I was a bit nervous if the end-result in the head(s) was smooth enough but it was just okay, no leaks or anything like that.

Engine runs fine now. No oil consumption or anything like that.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SPRAYED 01
I think your motor is fine. Ive melted plugs in the past when i was running nitrous. I never once had any issue with the plug breaking a piston or causing anymore damage.
It's funny how the pics look really bad. But as soon as you see the real thing with your own eyes, it doesn't look that bad at all.

Well, we will see how long it lasts. But at least at the moment, there are no problems. Except some traction issues with rear tires...tyres...tires...tyres...well, whatever they're properly called....
Old 10-06-2008, 11:01 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
This is an old thread that appears to have been brought up again by a spammer ( now banned )

Be interesting to see how Pekka has got on though. As for that engine....it is absolutely impossible to tell for sure if there is any piston damage without stripping the engine, and given what has happened, no way would I even consider putting it together without removing the pistons..

Been there, done it and will not make that mistake again. Which gets even worse with melted plug tips, that can go down the side of a piston and cause damage.
Hmmm...I'll take that risk. It may not be the wise decision, but at least the decision has been done.
Old 06-12-2009, 07:44 AM
Banned

those electrode tips had to go somewhere. you might of scuffed a wall

Quick Reply: Melted 6 spark plugs - what would you do?