Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

T76 60# mototrons at fault?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 07:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

Yes. TurboBobs LTCC kit now uses the stock LS1 harness. As long as you put the harness on there the same way as a stock LS1 (which I did) and just the 2-4-6-8 harness on the passenger side and the 1-3-5-7 harness on the drivers side, you're good to go. You did give me home for a second there. I thought, "What if Bob miswired the harness and reversed the 1 and 5 ?! So I went into the garage, swapped those two coils plug wires and fired it up. Lol... it runs EXACLY THE SAME! I think I could just disconnect those coils and it wouldn't even notice. They are just along for the ride I guess. Because it's a new engine, I haven't suspected the compression but I guess that's coming up. Wouldn't a low cylinder STILL fire? Man, I'm bumming here...
Old 06-16-2008, 10:17 PM
TECH Addict

Just ran a compression check at everyones behest. 125psi across the board.
Old 06-16-2008, 10:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,745 Likes on 1,303 Posts

Originally Posted by mightyquickz28
Just ran a compression check at everyones behest. 125psi across the board.
throttlebody was closed?
Old 06-17-2008, 06:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

"Used Mototrons".
How about some info on them.
How long since they were taken out of the previous engine?
How were they stored?
Were they cleaned and flow checked prior to you using them?
The reason behind these ?? is: I clean and flow test injs, and FREQUENTLY get sets that exhibit the same problems you are having. They have dried fuel in them, and are stuck shut. Some are so bad they go in the trash. Some I can resurrect.
Last week, got a set that had been out of the engine for 6 weeks...They were run in the flow bench for over 30 secs, before they would even pulse! [Had been in open air for that period of time.]
My "guess" is U have at least 1 stuck inj.....
When storing injs, it's a help to:
1. Shake out the old fuel.
2. Add a few drops of 3 in 1 oil.
3. Cap off the inlet.
4. Store in a sealed ziploc bag.
And, a noid lite is a good tool box item. At least you can check the operation of the harness...
Old 06-17-2008, 06:34 PM
TECH Addict

Looks like I may have isolated it. TurboBobs LTCC has a couple of LED's inside the housing for the processor. I'd PM'd Bob last night asking if he had any idea if the LTCC could play a role in this. He asked me to pull off the cover of the box and look at the LED's.
Upon "KEY ON", they go thru a bulb test and flash once. Then, when you crank, the green LEN *should* illuminate and stay on. Mine does. The red LED is for diagnostics. Here's what the .pdf file just told me....

Red LED flashes once = Cylinder Decode sequence error.

Red LED flashes twice = Wrong number of Hi Res Pulses counted between Lo-Res Rising edges.

Red LED flashes Three times = Wrong number of Hi Res Pulses counted during a High Lo-Res pulse or a Low Lo-Res Pulse.

Red LED flashes four times = EST (Electronic Spark Control) signal from PCM = missed pulse. Check connection to white wire.

Mine is flashing 3 times.

I've sent a PM to TurboBob to see if this means its wiring or time for a new OPTI.
Old 06-17-2008, 06:35 PM
TECH Addict

Throttle body was opened about half way.

Originally Posted by ddnspider
throttlebody was closed?
Old 06-18-2008, 06:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

After verifying the injs, the Opti would be my "next stop"...[Only because the injs are used, would they be first]
However, the diagnostics on the ign, seem to be pointing elsewhere....
My bud's opti was all new MSD components. [Turbo application, 96 F body]. 1 shake down pass.. engine missing, running poorly.
As I recall, when he took the opti off, it rattled! Loose pieces in it..
Old 06-18-2008, 06:53 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Old Geezer
After verifying the injs, the Opti would be my "next stop"...[Only because the injs are used, would they be first]
However, the diagnostics on the ign, seem to be pointing elsewhere....
My bud's opti was all new MSD components. [Turbo application, 96 F body]. 1 shake down pass.. engine missing, running poorly.
As I recall, when he took the opti off, it rattled! Loose pieces in it..
Yes... it is astonishingly common for these things, no matter whom makes them it seems, to fail catastrophically. Given the normal life of the 'old school' distributors, it seems there is no reason this 'horizontal' distributor shouldn't enjoy a similarly long life. But it appears to be a total crapshoot if you're going to get a winner or a clunker. I'm ordering a new one today from Sam Taylor Buick/Cadillac in Florida or Summitracing. Whichever one can provide it the quickest will get the sale.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

Well.... over nighted the Opti and a new Opti Pigtail and it was here to greet me when I came home from work. Tested them before installing it by just hooking up the harness to the new one, turned on the key, spun the opti. The red blinking light on the LTCC was gone and I could hear the spark plugs sparking. Cool ... So I installed it. Then swapped the injectors back to the mototrons. Reflashed the PCM with Bryans tune and fired it up.
IT RUNS THE SAME G*D DAMNED WAY AS IT HAD!!!! Running on 6 cylinders at the most.
UNbelievable! This is so sad it's funny.
I tried relashing it with the timing advanced 2 degrees across the board since it starts so weakly. Doesn't matter.
Ill get a timing light tomorrow and see it that reveals anything.
The scanner says it's got 32 degrees at 850 rpm now. It did say 30 before I added the extra timing.

I've gone on to Google looking for symptoms of cams degreed incorrectly (retarded too many degrees) The symptoms I'm seeing sure look familiar I'm probably going to just pull the timing cover off and install it straight up. I sent an email to my engine builder and he said it used the '2 degree' slot on the crank sprocket but he can't recall now if it was 2 degrees advanced or 2 degrees retarded.
Old 06-20-2008, 06:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Default My $.02..

Like I said:"After verifying the injs, the Opti would be my "next stop"...[Only because the injs are used, would they be first]"
I don't think that the problem is being caused by the cam being degreed 2*, 1 way, or the other.[Overall performance, yes... a miss, no.]
IF you have a miss, it's something else, unless the cam is flat, a broken spring, or the cam is so far off, you have bent some valves.
I'd surely be looking at the injs next, B4 I pulled the ft cover off.

Used injs are like "used girl friends". Some are great, some not!
Old 06-20-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Addict

I'd already swapped the injectors to a completely different set. It ran the same with them as it had before. I'd thought about the bent valves but I've done a compression test and that was fine. I have dished pistons for the turbo so perhaps that keeps the valves away. Thanks for the advice
Old 06-20-2008, 02:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

"So I installed it. Then swapped the injectors back to the mototrons. Reflashed the PCM with Bryans tune and fired it up".
This statement is what led me to think injs....
You said you had the "red led" diagnostic code, and had fixed it w/ the new Opti.
Did you restart the engine w/ the new Opti, and the other injs, or install the Motos prior to restart?
If not, you've still not eliminated the injs.....
Old 06-20-2008, 03:22 PM
TECH Addict

I tried it both with the 28# and the mototrons. In fact, everything I've changed individually, afterwards I start the engine and it runs EXACTLY the way it did before. No better, no worse. That's what makes me think it is something 'static' like a Cam install or the PCM.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:30 PM
TECH Addict

Update. After reading SEVERAL accounts where people reported a timing set off a tooth could make a car run like mine has been, I pulled the timing cover off and had a look. I must mention that this engine has a custom and expensive turbo cam spec'd out by Bret Bauer and that it had specific information for degreeing the cam. When I provided all the information to my engine builder (gave him the cam card) he went after it and afterwards, stated he had to move it 2 degrees ( I don't remember now if it was 2 deg advance or 2 degrees retarded) to get the Intake Center Line method to line up. I thought, "Great! He's thorough!". Well, after all the stuff I've replaced and checked, I decided it HAD to be the cam phasing so I pulled off the timing cover. Only to see it's dot to dot. WTF?.... Add to that, the timing cover bolts were all finger tight. Now it looks like I've got to get a degree kit and check it out for sure myself.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

unless you have an adjustable timing set there isnt anything you are gonna be able to do to get 2*. normally if it needs to be like that it will be 'ground in' unless you plan on adjusting it later (w/ adjustable timing set)

ask the cam guy for more info

if you are that far in, just put the stock cam or a cam you know works back in. you can make plenty of power with a stock cam. i did it.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:11 AM
TECH Addict

This is the comp cams timing set with 3 keyways cut into the crank sprocket. 2 advanced, straight up and 2 degrees retarded. He specifically told me he had to resort to 2 degrees off from straight up to get the ICL set just right. The cam Bret designed has 4 degrees ground into it.

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
unless you have an adjustable timing set there isnt anything you are gonna be able to do to get 2*. normally if it needs to be like that it will be 'ground in' unless you plan on adjusting it later (w/ adjustable timing set)

ask the cam guy for more info

if you are that far in, just put the stock cam or a cam you know works back in. you can make plenty of power with a stock cam. i did it.
Old 06-27-2008, 10:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

pop the cam out and get it looked at while you run around on the stock one (verify that it fixes the problem etc)

did you find a way to check crank timing vs computer timing
Old 06-27-2008, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

I'm going to get a cam degree kit, establish TDC and figure out what's going on.
I didn't get a chance to check spark timing. The LT1 hub is not keyed so there's no way to know if it's TDC if it wasn't previously marked/keyed.

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
pop the cam out and get it looked at while you run around on the stock one (verify that it fixes the problem etc)

did you find a way to check crank timing vs computer timing
Old 06-28-2008, 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

Found my cam specs. Going to pick up the cam degree kit plus the nut you put on the crank to turn it over. I have to wait till about noon today to meet the guy (Fbody Buddy of course! The best guys/girls on the planet!) to pick up his kit, accessories. I did a little more research (prompted by fellow LS1Tech'r Chuck Norton. Thanks Chuck!) and found that not only did my engine builder not adv/retard the cam 2 degrees as he'd stated, the timing set (CLO-9-3145) doesn't even have a provision for just 2 degrees. It has 3 keyways. 4 degrees Advanced, "Standard/Dot-to-Dot" and 4 degrees Retarded. (For those in Rio Linda, that means you can't *just* add/subtract 2 degrees with this timing set). Something stinks here (and it's not just that shirt I've been wearing while under the car) Using the ICL (Intake CenterLine method) the cam should show a 112 ICL if it's degreed properly.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:20 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

2 degrees would not be causing a problem. A chain stretches a lot more than that in its lifetime.

Unless it was miles out, + or - 2degrees lol.

Quick Reply: T76 60# mototrons at fault?