Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

T76 60# mototrons at fault?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 10:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 130 Likes on 78 Posts

The main point I'm trying to convey here is the engine bullder told me, unsolicited, that he'd had to move the timing set 2 degrees from Standard to achieve the 112 ICL. This chain is straight up. No offset woodruff key, no dowel bushing in the cam sprocket. The only 'Keyway' modifiers cut into the timing set by the manufacturer are 4 degrees advance or 4 degrees retarded. There's no 2 degree increment even there. It's just obvious to me he didn't even check it.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:18 PM
TECH Addict

Well... Just put a new stock coil ($37) and Ignition Control Module ($71) and a set of stock Duralast/Autozone Plug wires ($35) on the car and just the 'old' opti to spin/generate the spark signal. What? No spark? Wait, what's that noise? The old opti is making a bunch of Chattering noises inside. Then I remember, "Oh, that's right. This is that piece of crap non-functioning(the high voltage part) Opti of someone elses that HPE gave me when they screwed me over on that roller cam motor". So, I just put 3 plug wires with plugs on them onto the New Summit Opti bolted to the engine. I spun it over. What? No spark?.. Oh wait (sheepish grin) I forgot to hook up the harness to the engines opti. Hooked it up, said a prayer, spun the engine. Hot damn! Sparks! And evenly timed too (at least it seems so at this point). I'm going to put the sparkplugs in the heads, route the plug wires as best I can around the Hotsides Log manifolds and once everything is connected to the point I can start it (no waterpump, etc is hooked while I'm in diagnostic mode here) I'll fire her up. I sure hope I'm greeted by a V8 running on all 8 for a change. It appears now it's been the LTCC box the whole time
Old 07-07-2008, 07:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Hot damn Dave, get her done!
Old 07-07-2008, 10:37 AM
TECH Addict

Well, I appear to have compound problems. With the new Opti, it runs 'better' but not good. Its still running on 6 cylinders but more cleanly since the Opti will only issue one spark on time, one at a time. I pulled it back in the garage, started it, pulling off an injector clip at a time to see which one would cause NO change. Cylinders 2 and 4 were the only ones that made NO difference. Even with both unplugged at the same time! All the others, once I unclipped the injectors, the motor would almost stall until I reclipped it. The volts on 2/4 were the same as all the others, 12v and .037 on the Hot/Ground clip connections. I'm getting a NOID light today to test those. Cyl 2/4 are getting spark (used a timing light), and they have compression. I reset the valves one more time on those cylinders. I pulled the fuel rails/injectors (the 6th time this week) and checked for obstructions in the manifold/fuel rail holes. No problems there.
Old 07-07-2008, 11:15 PM
TECH Addict

Tonight, I swapped the injectors out, hoping to see if the problem changed from cylinders 2 and 4 to elsewhere (or even better, just go away). No such luck. After reflashing the computer with the new injector constants, I fired her up. Only to be greeted the the all too familiar cadence of a V8 running on 6. I put the 'NOID light on injector clips 2 and 4. Sigh. .they're working fine. The stock replacement wiring harness I ordered was supposed to be here today according to FedEx. I guess the driver figured he had other things to do. Maybe tomorrow. If the wiring harness doesn't fix it, I'm stumped. There won't be one thing I haven't replaced, checked and tested. What in the world could it be? Its got compression, spark, fuel and air. Valves are set perfectly. Pushrods are straight. No broken valve springs. Perfect fuel pressure. Why just those 2 cylinders? It starts right up, but it's only running on 6. Something else... at idle, it softly chuffs a backfire frequently. If I disconnect the injector on cylinder #2, the backfire stops. Hook it back up, the backfiring resumes.
Old 07-08-2008, 11:31 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

SO have you confirmed your firing order is correct ?
Old 07-08-2008, 11:36 AM
TECH Addict

Yes. I verified it. I will check once again tonight just because I'm so exhausted from trying to find this. I'm willing to check and recheck things dozens of times. Thanks,
Dave
Old 07-08-2008, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

UPDATE!
It's running on all 8 now! I'm having trouble keeping it straight on the road now.Lol....
Thanks to everyone that offered input.
Old 07-08-2008, 06:14 PM
TECH Addict

Stevie. I personally want to thank you for mentioning this. I've had the front end(optispark, timing cover, plug wires, coils, plugs) off and on the car so many times, one of those times working on it till 2:30am must have got to me. #2 and # 4 were indeed swapped at the opti.

I still have to send my LTCC (my original problem) to Bob to have him swap it out but at least I have a drivable car and can turn in this $35 a day rental car I've but putting around in for the past month.

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
SO have you confirmed your firing order is correct ?

Quick Reply: T76 60# mototrons at fault?