Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Twin 76 build.

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sevanseriesta
That is good to hear, what did you do when this happened to you did you take your car somewhere?
No, I knew I had disconnected those grounds when I did a dash swap so it was the first thing I checked. I had put the grounds back on, and put the nuts on both the studs but had only spun them down by hand, and nowhere near tight. They still appeared to be all ready to go at a glance and I just got sidetracked and forgot to come back and tighten them up with a wrench. It happens.

I doubt it will take you long to get it sorted out. Just double check any grounds you touched and try another spot for that main ground, between the two I think theres a good chance you'll find your problem.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fbody4Ever
No, I knew I had disconnected those grounds when I did a dash swap so it was the first thing I checked. I had put the grounds back on, and put the nuts on both the studs but had only spun them down by hand, and nowhere near tight. They still appeared to be all ready to go at a glance and I just got sidetracked and forgot to come back and tighten them up with a wrench. It happens.

I doubt it will take you long to get it sorted out. Just double check any grounds you touched and try another spot for that main ground, between the two I think theres a good chance you'll find your problem.

I am trying to think if there are anyother grounds that I messed with. I am not sure if there are though I am almost positive everything is tightened down. but I am going to go back through everything tonight!
Old 09-28-2008, 10:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

chevy bowtie, Thanks so much, that ground sure was the issue. Thank you very, very much. Good news is that I was able to turn the car over with no issues. Problem is it will not stay started. Not positive on the reason for that yet. It starts and the dies. Does not stay running for more then a couple seconds.

Fuel pressure is kind of low, but constant so I was not sure if that would have casued the problem or not. Another issue is that the gas in the car is about 1 year old. PCM is doing some weird things so I think that I might need some more grounds somewhere.

I will try to get some video of it not starting if I can.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:44 AM
12 Second Club

chevy bowtie, Thanks so much, that ground sure was the issue. Thank you very, very much. Good news is that I was able to turn the car over with no issues. Problem is it will not stay started. Not positive on the reason for that yet. It starts and the dies. Does not stay running for more then a couple seconds.

Fuel pressure is kind of low, but constant so I was not sure if that would have casued the problem or not. Another issue is that the gas in the car is about 1 year old. PCM is doing some weird things so I think that I might need some more grounds somewhere.

put fresh gas in it....no reason to start it up on that old nasty gas.

Chad
Old 09-28-2008, 11:39 AM
11 Second Club

Awesome build!!!

I had a issue with my car starting and then it would die after I converted the car to a return style fuel system. Couldn't figure out for the life of me what the problem was. Turned out to be my MAP sensor in the back of the intake. Proably not it, but might want to check it out...
Old 09-28-2008, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

intake tighten down all the way i forgot and my car would start but die like 10 secs later
Old 09-28-2008, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BOTTLEFEDLS1Z
Awesome build!!!

I had a issue with my car starting and then it would die after I converted the car to a return style fuel system. Couldn't figure out for the life of me what the problem was. Turned out to be my MAP sensor in the back of the intake. Proably not it, but might want to check it out...

what was wrong with the MAP sensor?

I am going to go ahead and change out the gas also. Is Vats something I should be looking at also.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by trans2000am
intake tighten down all the way i forgot and my car would start but die like 10 secs later

Intake is tight, I am sure of that.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:18 PM
11 Second Club

what was wrong with the MAP sensor?

I am going to go ahead and change out the gas also. Is Vats something I should be looking at also.

It had RTV inside of it from trying to get it so seal in the FAST..

VATS is something to look at as well. Not disabled yet??
Old 09-28-2008, 02:00 PM
8 Second Club

Security light would probably flash if the VATS was coming on. Did you put larger injectors in? Did you convert to speed density? What does your tune consist of?
Old 09-28-2008, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am not sure what the security light does, I have not looked at it. I will check that out. Right now I believe it is just the stock pcm with nothing done to it. The injectors are stock. I was trying to make sure nothing leaked and everything was all good before I put the big injectors in.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:39 PM
Launching!

Not a problem.... I glad you got that issued fixed. As for your next one. Not to sure. It seems that your on the right track though. I will keep following your build.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:42 PM
Launching!

Also you will find out later that you may need to get smaller turbine housings to spool those turbos up. I don't think that they are too big for this motor... I just think that the .96's are too big. Maybe .68's?
Old 09-28-2008, 08:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

this motor will not stay in the car. This motor is only to get things ironed out with. I have spent less then 1000 on this motor. I would like it to make good power but my goal is to ultimately get the car to run well and then put something bigger in.
Old 09-29-2008, 01:42 AM
Banned

this motor will not stay in the car. This motor is only to get things ironed out with. I have spent less then 1000 on this motor. I would like it to make good power but my goal is to ultimately get the car to run well and then put something bigger in.
Sounds a good plan. Once you have it running you will be able to know what to change.

It's either stepping up for bigger motor or switching to smaller turbo's. It will depend on power level and sool time that you want.

But be prepared for a late spool time with only 347ci and twin76.

Good luck.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Everything is done and the damn thing finally started and says running. I found that #7 plug was not tight, causing it to die after about 5 seconds. I can not touch the gas cause then it will die, but I think that has to do with the tune, so I think I am going to be sending the computer off this week.

Another thing that I noticed is that my fans did not come on at anytime during the 30 mins I kept it running. I am not running a thermostat, but hte car did get to about 190 and never went above that. Does any one know which wires are the hots and what are the grounds for each hot?
Old 10-17-2008, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks Speed INC, I received my pcm today and I am hoping to have some video of the car very shortly. Wont be anything exciting cause it is only a base tune. But I wanted to say thanks again...

That was superfast Turn around!!!!
Old 10-18-2008, 08:30 AM
9 Second Club

I just switched to those same turbo's and I will tell you that your intercooler is to small once you start turning the boost up to the 20psi. and higher range. Your intake temps will be starting to climb up in the 200deg. range!!
Be carefull as well with those H-beam rod's! When I switched to the bigger turbo's my #1 rod decided it was time to check out at 23psi!
Old 10-18-2008, 09:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. What are you planning about doing with your intercooler. Any company that you are looking at using. How much power do you think that you made with the 76's
Old 10-18-2008, 09:27 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds great! Enjoy the build and the drive carefully!

Quick Reply: Twin 76 build.