Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ST80 problem....poop.

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 03:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Firechikn
I know I had a similar problem with the S91. The compressor wheel was touching the housing. Upon further instructions from Jose, I removed the comp. housing and recentered. Bingo, everything was all good. It seems the tolerances from wheel to housing is small and bearing play is big. So you've got to be dead on. Could be something easy like mine.
Yours might have been easy....mine would not be so easy.

I have already sent this turbo back once because it was rubbing on the housing.....and again for a race cover swap. Removing the turbo is no "easy" task on my car. I need to take 2s cold pipes off (with 2 meth fittings), the DP, and the crossover.....which is no easy task on my back in my garage. My cold piping also lacks a flex portion so re-installation is kinda a bitch.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ninetres

I have already sent this turbo back once because it was rubbing on the housing.....and again for a race cover swap. Removing the turbo is no "easy" task on my car. I need to take 2s cold pipes off (with 2 meth fittings), the DP, and the crossover.....which is no easy task on my back in my garage. My cold piping also lacks a flex portion so re-installation is kinda a bitch.
Yeah I remember the first time, the cover was the wrong one, which was cut for a different wheel no biggie. The race cover I don't remember that.... Just let us know.
Old 06-26-2008, 04:36 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I know I had a similar problem with the S91. The compressor wheel was touching the housing. Upon further instructions from Jose, I removed the comp. housing and recentered. Bingo, everything was all good. It seems the tolerances from wheel to housing is small and bearing play is big. So you've got to be dead on. Could be something easy like mine.
Dude where have you been?? I heard you were laying down some bad *** #'s on the dyno did you ever get it back on the dyno or to the track? I have been looking for the video to your car
Old 06-27-2008, 02:03 AM
9 Second Club

***UPDATE***

I have the same problem as you firechickn (again). I just took the filter off and the wheel is rubbing the housing again. Seems to be a lot of shaft play.....which I addressed months ago with Jose who said it was okay. My tech estimated about 1/32" just from wiggling it.

I'll get it off in the next week or so and ship it to ya Jose. Thanks for the phone call and help! Much appreciated.
Old 06-27-2008, 02:12 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope mine is good to go!
Old 06-27-2008, 09:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
Dude where have you been?? I heard you were laying down some bad *** #'s on the dyno did you ever get it back on the dyno or to the track? I have been looking for the video to your car

I'm still here lurking. The car should be somewhere close to 850 right now on straight pump. I'm running about 1-1.5 lbs more now then when I dynoed. I just swapped the greatly abused t-56 for a 4l80. I'll likely be going to the track tomorrow for a few shake down passes, and alot of suspension readjustment. The t-56 was hooking good, but with the auto, I'm spin happy. I'll likely be retuning soon on some good gas and meth. Haven't really had a need to until now. I was beating everyone I ran on low boost.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

***UPDATE***

I have the same problem as you firechickn (again). I just took the filter off and the wheel is rubbing the housing again. Seems to be a lot of shaft play.....which I addressed months ago with Jose who said it was okay. My tech estimated about 1/32" just from wiggling it.

I'll get it off in the next week or so and ship it to ya Jose. Thanks for the phone call and help! Much appreciated.
The shaft play I described to Jose, seemed fine. Probably similar to yours. I had to set the turbo on the exhaust outlet, remove the comp. cover, and clock and center the wheel in the inlet. I haven't had any issues since then. I know Jose wil get you fixed up.
Old 06-27-2008, 11:51 AM
On The Tree

I just had another TC76 failure. Prob gonna send it in to Jose rather than mess around w/T-netics since they take forever and are a pain in the *** to deal with.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by BlackySS13
I just had another TC76 failure. Prob gonna send it in to Jose rather than mess around w/T-netics since they take forever and are a pain in the *** to deal with.
Got 76 wheels on the shelf.
Old 07-02-2008, 08:51 PM
9 Second Club

Yeah I remember the first time, the cover was the wrong one, which was cut for a different wheel no biggie. The race cover I don't remember that.... Just let us know.
Got it off. Seems like both wheels rub REAL good. Got lots of shaft play. I'll Pm you guys.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WTF if its still rubbing the housing and no FB has gotten in there you guys @ FI are gonna fix it for free obviously right? What was performed during the last work order on Ninetres's turbo?
Old 07-02-2008, 11:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Yep all will be taken care of.
Old 07-02-2008, 11:40 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 52172
WTF if its still rubbing the housing and no FB has gotten in there you guys @ FI are gonna fix it for free obviously right? What was performed during the last work order on Ninetres's turbo?
Easy easy lol. They are gonna take care of me! Here's the breakdown of my ST80 saga:

1. ordered turbo
2. received turbo with wheel rubbing housing and what I thought was excessive shaft play.
3. Sent back for adjustment. Came back not rubbing, but still had a good bit of shaft play. Jose assured me this was normal.
4. Sent back in for race cover (still never ran)
5. Came back not rubbing but still had lots of shaft play.
6. Installed and ran ~25 miles. Started rubbing, especially once hot.
7. Just removed it today to send in tomorrow.

I would ask (very nicely of course ) for a entirely new unit, but I'm not sure if you guys still produce the same hot side. I have the big ol' funky v-band and can not afford to have my fabricator switch the flange (again).
Old 07-02-2008, 11:45 PM
TECH Junkie

I'm easy bro just want you to be taken care of and I have trust in FI they have taken care of me before when I was having oiling issues with my TC76 both Dr Turbo and Jz have great customer service and respect their customers very much I could tell. They pay great attention to customer service!!! Cheers to Forced Inductions. Everyone I know that has a boosted car I refer to forced inductions.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:55 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 52172
I'm easy bro just want you to be taken care of and I have trust in FI they have taken care of me before when I was having oiling issues with my TC76 both Dr Turbo and Jz have great customer service and respect their customers very much I could tell. They pay great attention to customer service!!! Cheers to Forced Inductions. Everyone I know that has a boosted car I refer to forced inductions.
+1
Old 07-03-2008, 07:11 AM
9 Second Club

Jose, why are so many of these failing? I dont see this happening with the s400 or s480. Just wondering.... Its great that you are getting folks taken car of!!
Old 07-03-2008, 08:47 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by cablebandit
Jose, why are so many of these failing? I dont see this happening with the s400 or s480. Just wondering.... Its great that you are getting folks taken car of!!

I'm not Jose, but I can answer this..... We have a lower failure rate then most of the turbo manufactures.Out of the 700+ BW S and ST's we have sold only 18 so far have come back and 19 with this one. Average failure rate for manufactures is 4-6%. I can tell you this....one the largest dealers of BW's in the middleeast that was buying BW's from another distributor bought 36 S400's and S480's.....so far 19 of them have failed . We are rebuilding them for them one at a time now. S400's are durable when built correctly. Also get on the import forums like Evo forum which use alot of the S400's. One dealer on there bought 3 units from a large BW distributor...blew all three of them on the dyno the same day. We haven't had those issues since their are a good bit of changes we do to them, and so far they seem to work great and better then most of the others.
Old 07-03-2008, 09:07 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

... import forums like Evo forum which use alot of the S400's. ..
Seems like THAT would be awfully laggy.
Old 07-03-2008, 04:30 PM
11 Second Club

I'm not Jose, but I can answer this..... We have a lower failure rate then most of the turbo manufactures.Out of the 700+ BW S and ST's we have sold only 18 so far have come back and 19 with this one. Average failure rate for manufactures is 4-6%. I can tell you this....one the largest dealers of BW's in the middleeast that was buying BW's from another distributor bought 36 S400's and S480's.....so far 19 of them have failed . We are rebuilding them for them one at a time now. S400's are durable when built correctly. Also get on the import forums like Evo forum which use alot of the S400's. One dealer on there bought 3 units from a large BW distributor...blew all three of them on the dyno the same day. We haven't had those issues since their are a good bit of changes we do to them, and so far they seem to work great and better then most of the others.

Who is this other 'large dealer' and what do you do differently?
Old 07-03-2008, 07:25 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by 70Stang
Who is this other 'large dealer' and what do you do differently?
Here is a complete writeup of it on the forum......all 3 units bit the dust on the dyno.

http://forums.evolutionm.net/showthr...highlight=s372

You can see JZ fixed their problem.........

Alot more goes into the units depending on the setup.......

Quick Reply: ST80 problem....poop.