Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Vacuum sources

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2008, 10:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Vacuum sources

I've heard on here it's not that good to T- off of vacuum sources... but I don't think I have much choice. I have 4 things that need a source (boost gauge, boost referenced regulator, wastegate, and BOV). I searched, but nothing too explicit.

Here's how I rigged it up tonight, let me know what you guys think (new setup hasn't been started yet, still need to finish up some fuel stuff, install exhaust, etc before my appt at the tuners for the first start on 7/12.

I pulled the lead lose from the back of the intake on the opposite side of the brake booster fitting (the one that the HVAC vacuum is pulled from). I put a T fitting there, connected it back up to the mani, ran the HVAC on one side, ran the other side of the T over to the regulator, and T'd that right to the regulator and the boost gauge (close together). Then for the WG and BOV I used the port on the pass. side of the intake manifold that the PCV source is typically pulled from on the 'neck' of the intake. Ran a T off of that and connected the WG and BOV to it.

Do you guys anticipate any problems with these 2 sources having 3/2 things on them at these locations? Hope I've been clear on them... TIA
Old 06-26-2008, 10:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most companies reccomend that the wastegate not be connected to vaccume. They usually end up getting there reference from the compressor housing. I have used the intake and did not see any problems but I assume the diaphram is not designed to have vaccume pulled on it.
Old 06-26-2008, 10:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll be running into the same problem and have decided to get a boost/vacuum manifold with x amount of ports such as the one in the pic below.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

master carr sells reference block nice piece
Old 06-26-2008, 11:20 PM
TECH Regular

You could also try running a search on google or MSN for Golden Eagle Vacuum Manifolds.
Old 06-26-2008, 11:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by trans2000am
master carr sells reference block nice piece
I've heard McMaster-Carr sells them but by any chance might you have the part number for the one that you have? If so could you please post it or pm me? Thanks
Old 06-27-2008, 06:40 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
Most companies reccomend that the wastegate not be connected to vaccume. They usually end up getting there reference from the compressor housing. I have used the intake and did not see any problems but I assume the diaphram is not designed to have vaccume pulled on it.
This is a used hiflo kit bought from turbo ls1 ss on here. I'll look over the compressor housing a little better tomorrow and see if theres already a spot on it for the WG to hook up to. Thanks for the heads up. As far as the other stuff goes, a block would be cool, but if this will work as configured I'd like to keep it this way to save the cash.
Old 06-27-2008, 06:49 AM
TECH Resident

Location: sneaking in your back door as you leave!/cartersville ga

this is what im using, but i am using a vic jr intake w/ threaded ports
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old 06-27-2008, 08:00 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Zeke34
I'll be running into the same problem and have decided to get a boost/vacuum manifold with x amount of ports such as the one in the pic below.
I just installed this piece. For the price, I wasn't very happy the bunges are tiny weak plastic. I'm in the process of swapping them all out with larger metal bunges. Otherwise seems to be a pretty nice piece and the best way I could figure to get all 5 of my boost references hooked up. I had a hard time figuring out where to mount it. I ended up mounting it back on the fire wall, inbetween the port on the back of the intake and the brake boost port. Ran a hose from the intake to the one side and then out the other side to the brake boost. Now I just have to run lines to the map sensor, boost sensor, hobs switch, fuel regulator and bypass valve.
Old 06-28-2008, 12:14 AM
12 Second Club

I ended up using the same one red83 used... a NOS part. I have a manifold on my booster line that feeds the boost referenced FPR, because it happens to line in right near the booster at the driver side v-cover, and a second nipple on the booster line manifold connects to a line that runs to the NOS manifold where all my other accessories are hooked up remotely and away from the motor (heat).

sorry for the blurry pics... Ive had a few beers and cant hold the cam steady right now. lol

Quick Reply: Vacuum sources