Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pros/Cons of T56 VS Th400 in a turbo car aka, why T56 turbo cars suck.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 03:20 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by zapp168
With an M6 On the street, keeping the boost up by powershifting always got me insane wheel spin between gears, ya it looked cool, but I wasn't going anywhere, and more than a few times the places I was going was toward the guardrail, ditch, oncoming traffic etc. Many times I did not see much boost till top of second. I guess the big factor is how much you really race it and how important the time slip is. With an STS, bad driving and horrible traction I got 12.3 @120 while my friends bolt on only with stall auto got 12.5 @110 but I would totally take him apart on the street. I just went SC and the car is alot more "manageable" now.
I forgot about that aspect of driving my car when it was M6. I too had insane wheel spin if I shifted hard. Even the 3--4 shift spun hard on the street. I MIGHT street race in "Mexico" once and while so traction was very important for me to win money You spin you lose.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=Zombie;9754862]So which is better,
having an M6 and the feeling that the car is faster than it is or having an auto, feeling slower and winning more often? Winning tends to feel pretty damn good.

I've never heard someone say "I wish my car felt faster and was more fun to drive while I was losing".[/QUOTE

Just because its a six speed does not mean its slow and only feels faster....regard less of what some people here say.....auto tend to spin a lot more on the street then a six speed and both cars can only put down so much power on the street as well.....so still either car can win....I will say an auto has a better chance at it.........But I do love to race a guy that just ran a good # at the track and then blows the tires off on the street as I drive by....heheheh....faster does not all ways win...
Old 07-17-2008, 03:31 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ninetres
WTF? Didn't you have the mother of all T56s in your car? I remember that thing clankin like no other in your vids.

I have broken 2 of the MOAT56's .....
Old 07-17-2008, 03:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Tiago
I have broken 2 of the MOAT56's .....
****! I don't know whether to say damn that sucks or salute you!

Old 07-17-2008, 03:59 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by speedracer5532
I have even broke my G-force T56. Will post pictures later.
The reason I didnt go for a G-Force, is because I heard of a couple of guys breaking them...

Whereas, in terms of usage, not so many stock geared T56's seem to break. I just had my gears cryo'd
A friends Viper has the same, and its around 900rwhp, and it holds up fine too...although he's now going for sequential Hollinger box....the ****** might actually beat me now
Old 07-17-2008, 05:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

What is a powershift anyway? /sarcasm Keep clapping for yourself. Keep being wowed. I never said I didn't know what a powershift is.

I can row the gears with the best of them, with full throttle lift, and full clutch engagement. You can't claim a T56 that is constantly powershifted will last like a TH400 in a 800+whp turbo car. Give me a ******* break. But I'm sure you and your almighty credibility and massive turbo car knowledge can enlighten us that it can :bowsdown:

PS--You never posted links of all of the $50k 7 second cars that trap near 200mph. (I'm still waiting. Also, have you ever even built a fast turbo car???? Where is your credibility? If you want to challenge my credibility, I can back all of my claims up with my own findings on one of the many turbo set-ups I have helped build for my car I, for one, have had M6 and AUTO turbo cars
When did I ever say it would last like a th400? Now you cant even find anything to say so you just make up an argument that we never even had? Screw your auto knowledge credibility, you need to hike your *** back to middle school and learn basic debate skills.

Im not wasting my time to add up the cost of parts one by one to prove you wrong. Believe me, arguing on a message board isnt that important to me, as it apparently is to you.

Ill go over mine quickly for example. My build itself, including the car, is about 10k off from being a seven second car (auto, converter, some afcos, fuel cell, A2w and a few other minor things) if i was so inclined. And I have about 30k in the car including the car itself. My heads/cam/intake have been sevens. My block has been 6's. The power and reliability in the motor are there, but the trans and suspension (well, the shocks) is not. Say $1200 for the shocks, $4k for converter, $300 for fuel cell, $4500 for th210 and youre looking right at 10k. Sell my intercooler for $900 and buy an A2W for $2200, youre looking at right over $41,000 for my car total, with a setup that would easily have the potential of sevens.

Would it do it? Who knows. On paper yes. Im not a magazine racer. My point is that it costs nowhere near the asinine $100k number you idiotically quoted before. Unless you accounted for some bling *** platinum valve covers, they might send you over that 100k mark. Someone that seems as retarded as you might actually do something like that. So my bad, youre right, all the car parts plus platinum (with maybe some diamonds) valve covers will cost 100k.

I dont care how badass of a driver you think you are. You might be one, you may not. I really could care less. If thinking youre the baddest sumbitch drag racer shifter on the planet makes you get off instead of women, more power to you.

And as for my credibility, no, i have not built a fast turbo car, because I dont build cars. I pulled my motor and gutted my interior, did brakes and **** like that, but no, i dont assemble large turbo projects. Nor do i care to. Theres way too many people better at it than me for me to risk ******* something up doing it myself. Ive got friends in the right places and money to compensate them. You can do it yourself? Great. I can bench press 3 million pounds.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

TH400 con: Not being able to act all "manly"
The throttle blade never closes.
Why would a "manly" person close the throttle while racing??? Ever master powershifting? Do you want to sell two caddy lifters?
Old 07-17-2008, 06:01 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99.9percenter
Why would a "manly" person close the throttle while racing??? Ever master powershifting? Do you want to sell two caddy lifters?
I bet all rally drivers, F1 drivers, Indycars etc all close their throttle during a race....

Not every race is a straight line lasting only 1/4 mile.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:33 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by speedracer5532
I have even broke my G-force T56. Will post pictures later.
yup. Seen many cars at similar power to mine blow through the G-force gear set, plus they won't warranty it. So what is the point of spending $4,000 in lieu of $900 for GM parts if I am going to break it anyway
Old 07-17-2008, 06:39 PM
9 Second Club

Exactly my reasoning.....stock T56 gears are pretty damn strong !! and a fraction of the price.....
Old 07-17-2008, 07:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok Ok this has gone on long enough and the wambulance looks to be rounding the corner so i'll this one.
Old 07-17-2008, 07:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by frcefed98
Ok Ok this has gone on long enough and the wambulance looks to be rounding the corner so i'll this one.
Sorry, I decided to open this one back up.

J/K...

Forgot to lock?
Old 07-17-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Senior Member

i'm getting old...

Free pass keep it going. autos are better

Keep the bickering down to a minimum....you know who you are.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:08 PM
TECH Resident

Wrong. Being in the "sweet spot" in a 6 speed still does not load the turbo like an auto will. Some 6 speeds don't even get full boost until 2nd or 3rd gear.

I raced a VERY similar car when I was 6 speed, and even though I started in the sweet spot, the TH400 car next to me always jumped ahead at the crack of the throttle.
Time to start brake boosting...

Clearly the auto is the shizzle, but I do still enjoy rowing the gears, revving for no reason other than to set off nearby car alarms, and heel/toe practice. Plus I will always need the "I missed a shift" excuse!
Old 07-17-2008, 08:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Autos can be brake boosted from a roll too
Old 07-17-2008, 09:42 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by frcefed98
i'm getting old...

Free pass keep it going. autos are better

Keep the bickering down to a minimum....you know who you are.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 537 Likes on 381 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
I bet all rally drivers, F1 drivers, Indycars etc all close their throttle during a race....

Not every race is a straight line lasting only 1/4 mile.
Nice post. I only wish I could think of a good IRA joke.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:20 PM
11 Second Club

Faceplatted and proshifted T56 and a two step.....Flawless shifting and build boost on the line.
Old 07-18-2008, 06:28 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tiago
yup. Seen many cars at similar power to mine blow through the G-force gear set, plus they won't warranty it. So what is the point of spending $4,000 in lieu of $900 for GM parts if I am going to break it anyway
I agree with you now. When I broke my stock mainshaft I talked to a far amount of people and they convinced me to go with G-force. After I broke a tooth off of 4th gear and the counter shaft gear I was pissed. G-force tries to blame it on my aggressive Spec twin disk clutch. They did sell me an input shft and the front half of the counter shaft for half price but that isn't the point. They say their gear set holds up behind 1500 hp Vipers...I say bullshit.
Old 07-18-2008, 08:32 AM
Restricted User

Default A new way to fly!!!

There is a way to get the TH400 ratio's, Trans brake, and an overdrive. I had a hand in this so don't flame me too bad..

http://www.motownmuscle.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=67245

And a regular AOD.

http://www.motownmuscle.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=78588

I built the 10.5 converter for this one. This vehicle is real tame on the street and ripped off a 9.54 at 144.

Mike. R

Quick Reply: Pros/Cons of T56 VS Th400 in a turbo car aka, why T56 turbo cars suck.