Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

AMS-1000 Boost Controler

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill be going with an AMS1000 and CO2 for my setup.

Kyle
Old 07-22-2008, 01:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 901 Likes on 642 Posts

F/I newb here.

Can someone explain what exactly does this do? Thank you.
Old 07-22-2008, 01:48 AM
8 Second Club

AMS-500 Here what an awesome controller. Datalogs look as if the map sensor reading has been drawn with a ruler. The control out of this unit is second to none.
Old 07-22-2008, 03:38 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a eboost2 unit for sale. It's a good price and I'm willing to negotiate further. It is brand new. Look it up in my posts!
Old 07-22-2008, 05:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
F/I newb here.

Can someone explain what exactly does this do? Thank you.
to control how the boost is applied. having full boost at low vehicle speeds usually = spin city, so you need to progress it in...
Old 07-22-2008, 07:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

I ordered my AMS-500 from www.fullthrottlespeed.com and these guys were easy to deal with.

Per there site here is the specs on the AMS-500
Based on what is regarded as the the best boost controller available the AMS-1000, the neww AMS-500 is the baby brother for those who do not need all the extra features the 1000 has. Do not under estimate its performace or potential however it is a full function 2 stage controller, the first sage can be set for staging using a transbrake or switch and the second for launching with a ramp function to keep the car hooked up of the line you can control the rate that the boost comes on. The 500 uses the proven software and waste gate control system of the 1000 so you know it performance will be spot on. Taking orders now

AMS-1000 Boost controller
The AMS-1000 is the secret the top teams are using and now it is available to you! NLR is the leader in forced induction technology. The latest development is this controller. This controller does what others wish they could do. This unit will out perform ANY controller on the market! This unit can also be purchased to upgrade a current MSBC-1 set up. Take advantage of the latest technology from NLR! The quickest and fastest bikes, cars, snowmobiles and boats in the world use BOOST CONTROL FROM NLR. Think about it....engineered and designed to control boost on 600hp street tire(6 inch contact patch), no wheelie bar bikes that run mid 7's @200+mph in the 1/4 mile. Imagine what it can do for you !
No limit on boost pressure....the AMS will control as much as your system can produce!

Flexibility, Accuracy, and Precise Control. (Supercharged, turbocharged or anything controlled by air)

Proven track record in professional competition.
User friendly and Great for Street Applications.
Exclusive NLR "Forward Feedback Technology".
Fast 50-Mhz Processor with Enhanced Timer sub-system.
128x64 Graphical LCD Display.
Intuitive & User Friendly Graphical user Interface.

Features:
Compact Billet Aluminum Enclosure.
Latest FLASH memory technology for future software upgrades.
Wide range of MAP Sensors supported. 30psi, 60psi and 100psi.
Launch boost control programmable to range of sensor.
Scramble input, increase boost with the press of a button.
Reduce input, decrease boost level without lifting the throttle.
Launch, Shift, Scramble, and Reduce inputs can be configured for +12V or Ground Activation. No More RELAYS!
Graph view of Current Setup.
Integrated Data Logger with Graph View.
Dimensions: length=4.350 width 2.85 high=1.00 wieght= 12 oz.

Multiple Operating Modes:
Time Based, 1 to 6 stages fully programmable.
Shift Based, 1 to 6 stages fully programmable.
GPS(Gear Position Sensor), 1 to 6 positions with Setup Wizard.
Programmable Ramp Rate for each stage, 0-100psi per second.
Ability to Ramp Boost Level back down to adjust for track conditions.
Dual channel, Auxiliary channel may also be used for Live Boost monitoring, data logging.
Includes AMS-1000 Control Unit, 60 psi sensor with lead, Harness, and Control Solenoids.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:25 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i would say that this is a drag race or race car type of controller, where the eb2 is more well rounded toward any application of turbo-ing, and of course is more pleasantly packaged.

im sure it works great, but aside from the cryo-control which is over my head anyways, i havent seen function different from eb2

ive always been to lazy to mess with it, but i think it could help for me to set up my eb2 like:

stage 1, transbrake engaged (launch boost)
stage 2, transbrake released, timer started (1st gear lower boost)
stage 3, time based increase after delay to get into 2nd gear (high boost)

problem with me is that im always changing boost based on octane and mood, dont wanna be setting that stuff up and then reconfiguring it when i want it all at once.. i'll have to see if i can call for boost groups in any order insteda of the 1/2/3/4/5/6 i am assuming it stays stuck in.

if i could put this fancy stuff out in 4/5/6 triggered by the t brake then i could still have 1/2/3 on the fly manually for street duty.
Old 07-23-2008, 08:35 PM
9 Second Club

have any of you guys tried the Exile (old innovative) MSBC1? i'm sure the AMS is better, but from what i'm reading about the AMS, it doesn't seem to be that much better. i paid a little under $400 for the MSBC1 and it is the easiest controller i've used yet. plus, it does almost everything you guys are wanting a controller to do. just FYI.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:32 AM
FormerVendor

I would think the AMS-1000 would also work great on any street car. With the ability to base your boost on mph or gear it would let you progressively bring boost in rather then having one or two levels of boost or just a constant time based increase in boost. You also do not have to run CO2 and can run off manifold pressure for a street application.

Once you start to use the AMS controller you learn it and it really takes no time to set up the stages or adjust them. If you "want it all at once" you can just edit it back to one stage and have all the boost come in on a ramp rate or as fast as your engine/turbo will allow. Most of the time people set up the transbrake to trigger the launch pressure in the AMS. It is a separate setting from the 6 stages you can program.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:03 AM
NLR
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by TURBO383WS6
have any of you guys tried the Exile (old innovative) MSBC1? i'm sure the AMS is better, but from what i'm reading about the AMS, it doesn't seem to be that much better. i paid a little under $400 for the MSBC1 and it is the easiest controller i've used yet. plus, it does almost everything you guys are wanting a controller to do. just FYI.

There is no comparison between them. Nobody understands the difference until they use it and see for themselves. Here is a comparison chart for you.

AMS-1000----------------------------------------------------------------------msbc-1
-will only work with 2 port gates -------------------------------------------------works with 1 or 2 port gates!
-billet aluminum construction-----------------------------------------------------2 part plastic box
secure lock terminal strips--------------------------------------------------------free wires coming out of
-wire harness features amp-------------------------------------------------------a open slot in box.
terminal forks that are cold--------------------------------------------------------non potted vibration,dirt
crimped with heat shrink for------------------------------------------------------- and weather can damage it
extra tension support -------------------------------------------------------------- no user interface
-completely potted for vibration ---------------------------------------------------- 18 ramps total per stage
and weather resistance------------------------------------------------------------ - has data logging outputs
- 100 ramps total per stage -------------------------------------------------------- so you need a datalogger
-graphical user interface ------------------------------------------------------------ features 4 time based or
-scramble boost function------------------------------------------------------------- 5 shift based boost control
-reduce boost function -------------------------------------------------------------- launch input
- secondary channel to control ------------------------------------------------------ 1 psi increments
another wastgate, lock up etc------------------------------------------------------ - time increments in 1/10 of a sec
- target pressure and actual boost
pressure can be viewed on screen
- on board data logging
- most inputs are configurable for
12 volts or ground activation.
-features 6 stages of time, 7 stages of shift or 6 stages of variable voltage boost control
as well as scramble and reduce function.
-launch input
- .10 of a psi increments
-time increments of 1/100 of a sec
*free software upgrades...never have an outdated unit!!!

-Clutch reset function- programmable on or off- will reset boost controller every time the clutch is pulled in.

-Clutch lock out timer-after you release the clutch the ams will ignore your clutch input for the programmed time so the unit will not reset or target launch pressure when your going down the track

-Clutch delay timer- program a time delay before your first stage is activated.

-activation hold feature- will keep control loop active fro the programmed time even if activation input is lost

-activation hold and wait feature- will freeze ramp, psi and timer or stage if activation input is removed for the programmed amount of time. If activation input is resumed within this time control program continues from where it left off. Perfect for a tps based activation setup.

-NEW feature coming soon!! Be able to store at least 3 tune ups in the ams-1000 and load them in at a touch of a button.
_ Live graph movement when editing target, time or rates.

Last edited by NLR; 07-24-2008 at 07:08 AM.
Old 07-24-2008, 10:58 PM
9 Second Club

so, it's not as pretty, doesn't do all the features that the pro's need and it's less than half the price.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:17 AM
NLR
LS1TECH Sponsor

plenty of choices out there. Run what makes you happy.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:49 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor / 7 Second Club

We run the AMS 1000 on all of our bad a$$ turbo projects. If you want the ultimate controll of boost and traction the AMS stuff is the only way to go.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:47 PM
10 Second Club

AMS 1000 is sick, But I think its more for the race track, 1/2 the stuff on it you will never use in a street car.

E-boost 2 is a nice street/strip boost controler E Z to use, and works well.
Old 07-25-2008, 02:30 PM
On The Tree

Just thought I would throw my $.02 in here. First off I have a AMS-1000 in my ride. I have had way too many people tell me that if I wanted rock solid control then this was the unit to go with. Now the downsides I have noticed about the AMS unit is that it is aimed at bikes so a lot of the features on it are usless to us car guys unless we can get creative with microswitches. You are basically limited to time based boost control unless you can rig up some other things to tell it what gear your in or what speed your at.

Also as far as setting the C02 regulator, i would only set it a few lbs over the target level your shooting for. So if you want 20psi of boost then set it up for 22-24psi. That way if the AMS unit or a selenoid malfunctions you wont run the risk of blowing a motor by putting all 50lbs or whatever you have the regulator set at on top of the gate.

Just my thoughts
Old 07-25-2008, 03:36 PM
10 Second Club

AMS1000 for race cars , dosn't it cost near 1k?
Old 07-25-2008, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

$850 for the 1000. Its a personal prefrence on whether or not its worth it but if you want dead nuts accuracy then it will cost you. I just happen to have the money to blow on a good one now rather than get a cheaper boost controller only to possibly find myself upgrading to the AMS unit later on.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:24 PM
NLR
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Lason
Just thought I would throw my $.02 in here. First off I have a AMS-1000 in my ride. I have had way too many people tell me that if I wanted rock solid control then this was the unit to go with. Now the downsides I have noticed about the AMS unit is that it is aimed at bikes so a lot of the features on it are usless to us car guys unless we can get creative with microswitches. You are basically limited to time based boost control unless you can rig up some other things to tell it what gear your in or what speed your at.

Also as far as setting the C02 regulator, i would only set it a few lbs over the target level your shooting for. So if you want 20psi of boost then set it up for 22-24psi. That way if the AMS unit or a selenoid malfunctions you wont run the risk of blowing a motor by putting all 50lbs or whatever you have the regulator set at on top of the gate.

Just my thoughts
The AMS is not aimed at bikes. It was designed to be the most flexible unit when it comes to applications and provide the most accurate and reliable form of power management.

I dont know of any controller that automatically knows what gear your in or what speed your at without an input.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So, the 500 you can ramp boost according to speed? Or you can just adjust the amount of max boost? How easy is it to adjust max boost. I will be putting the engine on the dyno, and want to be able to increase boost while we are tunning the motor.

Ron
Old 07-26-2008, 10:53 AM
NLR
LS1TECH Sponsor

the ams500 is a 2 stage unit that allows you to adjust each of the stages by supplying an input (12 volts or ground) to tell it when to activate that stage.

It is very easy to adjust the target pressure.

1 stage is instant and the other has a ramp that can be applied.

Quick Reply: AMS-1000 Boost Controler