Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

hypothetical.... APS v. OFI v. Procharger

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 06:53 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I suspect that the APS 427 cube F body twin turbo system would be ideal for your large cube engine, see link below.

Systems are in inventory and delivery to the main 48 states is between 3 to 5 days, door to door.

http://www.airpowersystems.com/fbody/tts2.htm

peter
Old 07-30-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by landonew
The bolt on kits are good for around 800rwhp. anything past that appears as if you need some pretty extensive custom work.
Uh, no.

OFI is bolt-on and with a FI98X turbo you would go WAY over 1,000 RWHP with your 454ci.
Old 07-30-2008, 07:55 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The FI-98X would be into the 1400+rwhp range....lol. I think low boost would be 1000rwhp...hehe
Old 07-30-2008, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
The FI-98X would be into the 1400+rwhp range....lol. I think low boost would be 1000rwhp...hehe
that is just plain sick.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DrTurbo

Yup, and he can do it with the OFI bolt-on kit.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:01 PM
10 Second Club

Procharger or APS

and thats coming from someone with an OFI kit
Old 07-31-2008, 05:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by needadvice
u sure that turbo will fit with the OFI kit?i know its bigger than the s-91 and thats a tight fit.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:40 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Yea.... Bolt on.... Just slap it on the car right

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 07-31-2008, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Guys do know your going to be waiting months for a OFI Kit. So for the right now APS or Procharger. Joel's quality still sucks and what he did to the GTO kit owners blows, me and Dbluegoat 2 of the 3 kits he sold.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1INSANEGTO
Guys do know your going to be waiting months for a OFI Kit. So for the right now APS or Procharger. Joel's quality still sucks and what he did to the GTO kit owners blows, me and Dbluegoat 2 of the 3 kits he sold.

Not sure what was wrong with the quality on your kit .But the quality on my kit was awesome.Only draw back was how long it took.But also u have to remember he is a one person team and doesnt have 100's of people helping mass produce his kits like aps and procharger.Aps and procharger has spent tons of money on research , trials and what not.Joel gets feedback from his customers and adjusts his kits accordingly if there seems to be a problem.Atleast this is what i have seen from him.
Old 07-31-2008, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

Contact Inspector 12. He has one of each that should be right at 1000 rwhp. Ask him his opinions on the blower vs turbo deal. He is one of the few that owns both at the same time..
Old 07-31-2008, 08:38 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

yep, i called Inspector actually when i was ready to order my kit for his advice since he owns both. I'll forward what i got from him here.

He owns a Speed Inc twin kit that is set up similarly to the APS kit in where the turbos are located (turbos are bigger). He also owns an F1a procharger car. Both are 402/408 CI. He said the twin turbo car is more of a beast, and the F1a car he battled some issues with for the air filter hat, and some overheating i believe. He also bought an APS kit on the introductory offer because it was such a good deal. He told me, "For the price of the APS kit, you just simply cannot beat it" For what you get, the kit is a steal.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Superman09
yep, i called Inspector actually when i was ready to order my kit for his advice since he owns both. I'll forward what i got from him here.

He owns a Speed Inc twin kit that is set up similarly to the APS kit in where the turbos are located (turbos are bigger). He also owns an F1a procharger car. Both are 402/408 CI. He said the twin turbo car is more of a beast, and the F1a car he battled some issues with for the air filter hat, and some overheating i believe. He also bought an APS kit on the introductory offer because it was such a good deal. He told me, "For the price of the APS kit, you just simply cannot beat it" For what you get, the kit is a steal.
I just noticed your sig.

Dude, I would change it to 665 or 667 rwhp. I ahve bad enough luck, I don't need the mark of the beast on my car
Old 07-31-2008, 01:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

lmao, creepy huh~! I had a few instances already that make me wonder....

Old 07-31-2008, 03:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 98transguy
Not sure what was wrong with the quality on your kit .But the quality on my kit was awesome.Only draw back was how long it took.But also u have to remember he is a one person team and doesnt have 100's of people helping mass produce his kits like aps and procharger.Aps and procharger has spent tons of money on research , trials and what not.Joel gets feedback from his customers and adjusts his kits accordingly if there seems to be a problem.Atleast this is what i have seen from him.
Well I sure wish that was the case with us. Joel has sold 3 GTO kits and one he did the design on. Stuff did not fit and quality of welding looks like kids in highschool did it in there auto shop. Joel never offered to fix anything. He will never sale another GTO kit on here or ls1gto I am sure of that. I lost a **** load to off load mine. Now as you can see in my sig went for custom, which I should have did in the first place. O and as for times Joel told us 3 weeks and it ended up being 3months.
Old 07-31-2008, 05:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1INSANEGTO
Well I sure wish that was the case with us. Joel has sold 3 GTO kits and one he did the design on. Stuff did not fit and quality of welding looks like kids in highschool did it in there auto shop. Joel never offered to fix anything. He will never sale another GTO kit on here or ls1gto I am sure of that. I lost a **** load to off load mine. Now as you can see in my sig went for custom, which I should have did in the first place. O and as for times Joel told us 3 weeks and it ended up being 3months.
i thought u were getting a custom twin setup from trans physicians or someone like that, atleast thats what i thought i saw in your sig awhile ago?
Old 07-31-2008, 07:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 46 Likes on 31 Posts

Personally I would go faster with less. If big HP supras are your goal, go over to supraforums.com and make friends with some of the higher hp owners and see what their opinions are. A good friend of mine just sold his turbo setup to go back with a cam only LT1 because (besides other things) he had more fun out racing with a slower car because there were more races to have.

I had 2 kits for my old car that could have been adapter to my current car and am selling both. There's no reason to make that much power especially when you consider all the things you have to give up.

As far as answering the original question, I would not order a silicone coupler from OFI because of their customer service. A local guy STILL doesn't have a kit he ordered months ago. If I had that much money out on a deal like that and didn't have it within a reasonable amount of time especially outside of the quoted time, I would have my money back.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks for all the help guys. After all the input, i don't think i am ready for FI. It sounds like a lot of fun and definately different but that whole "useable HP" argument really hit home. I will probably just go with a ls2/ls3 402/416 shortblock and a two stage direct port N2O kit. Make 500-525 or so on motor and 750-800 or so on the shot depending on the jet. That is much more cost effective, and will be plenty fast. Maybe I will decide on an FI project after this one is complete, but for now I will stick with what i know, N2O.
Old 08-02-2008, 02:06 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98transguy
i thought u were getting a custom twin setup from trans physicians or someone like that, atleast thats what i thought i saw in your sig awhile ago?
Thats mine and we just started driving the car this week! Lots of tuning to do but its a Torquey SOB with the twin GT42Rs on the 408!!!
Old 08-02-2008, 04:38 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TrakDay
Thats mine and we just started driving the car this week! Lots of tuning to do but its a Torquey SOB with the twin GT42Rs on the 408!!!
I'm glad to see it's alive again! Bob

Quick Reply: hypothetical.... APS v. OFI v. Procharger