Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Started new project today.. 67 Camaro LS1 turbo w/ FAST

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 06:46 PM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Started new project today.. 67 Camaro LS1 turbo w/ FAST

This car has been done for going on two years. Current setup is a 355 SBC with FAST EFI, a 70MM ball bearing turbo, big front mount...etc

The turbo started leaking into the exhaust, causing embarrasing smoke. Turbonetics wants $1400 to rebuild it so I decided to junk it and buy a bigger one. The shortblock has 30K on it.. plus GM "pink" rods making 600 RWHP so it was time for some new bottom end components as well. The plan was for some Lunati rods, new pistons and a T88, but I've been working on Gen 3 engines so long I'm spoiled and dont want to mess with the old stuff anymore.

So out comes the SBC and here is the new deal

00 Ls1 block
stock crank
Eagle rods, Diamond dish pistons, ARP head and main studs.
CNC heads, stainless 2.02/1.57 valves
Precision PT74GTP 4 bolt .96 (just came today)
The ATR wastegate and Godzilla blowoff valve will work from the old combo, as will the 3" stainless downpipe... the only thing new will be the headers.
Same front mount Spearco intercooler 29x12x3

I decided to go with the Precision turbo over the Ball Bearing Turbonetics model because of the rebuild price. I can get new oil seals put in this 74 for $75. Plus with the new style wheel in the exhaust this 74 should spool just as fast as my BB 70. (15PSI by 2300 RPM)

The trans is a Tremec TKO... I'll keep it for now, this is a srteet car and it's too much fun shifting and blowoff valve noises every shift to get an auto just yet. If I scatter this gearbox I'll get a 400 with a GV OD. I need to look into what flywheel and pilot bearing I need to run this box.

Weight is 3080 as it sits, I expect it under 3000 with the turbo LS1

I just dismantled the block and dropped it off at the machine shop to be hot tanked and he is awaiting the pistons and rods. I hope to have this pig flying within a few months. I'll take some pics along the way and report the progress.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Started new project today.. 67 Camaro LS1 turbo w/ FAST

I have seen you driving this car around in the past.....

It should be ever more bas @$$ with a ls1

good luck

Ryan.