Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

At what power level has people pushed water with a 4-bolt setup?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

water in overflow that wasn't there before...

less water in radiator than before run...

etc...
Old 08-27-2008, 02:24 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by sevanseriesta
sorry for my ignorance, but since I have never had an issue with pushing water what should I be looking for, or how do I know that I am pushing water. This will be the first car that will even be capable of doing it. all the other turbo cars were little VW's and MR2's

When your car goes sideways @ 160mph before the end of the track! Also when you go to repack your parachute, it's wet. lol
Old 08-27-2008, 02:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
When your car goes sideways @ 160mph before the end of the track! Also when you go to repack your parachute, it's wet. lol
I put my overflow inside the car for that very reason
Old 08-27-2008, 02:32 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
You can push water at 130mph if you try.

All depends on your definition of pushing water, moving a couple ounces or blowing a couple quarts into an overflow. Pretty safe to say that over 1000fwhp is when you are going to start having problems if you race the car often.

I'm starting to see some carbon between the head and block after last weekend, I havent ran much 1/4 mile this year either and its really not moving a lot of water, But when you see those marks between the head and block there its coming soon.

I have noticed that its a cumulative thing, more passes you make (or more you beat on it in general) its going to start doing it worse and worse. If you make 20 passes a year you can get away with a lot more than if you make 100 thats for sure. But I'm kinda used to it, kind of a bummer since when I see it I dont want to push it any harder..

Exactly!! On the restrictor plate motors on aggressive tuneups, we can, and have pushed water. With the Bosch engine management, we can change timing based on water pressure water pressure Starts to increase, timing will drop until its below acceptable levels, and then start to ramp timing back in.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:35 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,240 Likes on 791 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Obviously you can push water at 130mph, but the topic is implying high hp setups. In the early days of the scene all the early FI cars pushed water even just going into the 130's, and it wasn't until folks like Matt Harlan debuted his TT hawk and went low 8's in 2003 that we saw folks really flying with turbos. I don't recall Ronnie Duke's history with his ATI setups but he did go 8's quite a while ago.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As amusing as this was, I hope this does not happen......

Thanks for the explanation.
Old 08-27-2008, 03:00 PM
10 Second Club

Thumbs up

bout fell out of my chair laughin so hard...awesome!!
Old 08-27-2008, 06:19 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Louis
Exactly!! On the restrictor plate motors on aggressive tuneups, we can, and have pushed water. With the Bosch engine management, we can change timing based on water pressure water pressure Starts to increase, timing will drop until its below acceptable levels, and then start to ramp timing back in.
Thats a pretty cool idea, especially for a high HP street setup if you dont like changing gaskets. You guys are always thinking

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Obviously you can push water at 130mph, but the topic is implying high hp setups. In the early days of the scene all the early FI cars pushed water even just going into the 130's, and it wasn't until folks like Matt Harlan debuted his TT hawk and went low 8's in 2003 that we saw folks really flying with turbos. I don't recall Ronnie Duke's history with his ATI setups but he did go 8's quite a while ago.
What I was saying is if your tune is screwed up you can push water at 110 in the 1/4, hell you can melt the heads off it by the 1/8 if you try hard enough.

Who is Matt Harlan?
Old 08-27-2008, 06:46 PM
TECH Resident

Who is Matt Harlan?
Now that made me fall out my chair laughing!
Old 08-27-2008, 06:48 PM
FormerVendor

Just to chime in,

Last year we pushed water a tad bit, we were doing 120 in 8th and 146 in 1/4.

This year were running the same, but 2 more mph on the back half with less boost. No signs of water or head lift yet, stock MLS 6.0L gaskets.

We are changing some things up currently and should know whats it should handle very soon, poor blower will be a spinning
Old 12-15-2008, 04:01 AM
Teching In

I have a noob question for this thread. After reading two and a half pages here I am still not sure exactly what you guys mean by "pushing water"
I ASSUMED that you were talking about running a lot of boost and high cylinder pressures and actually lifting the heads off from the deck of the block, but then I see a lot of posts about overflow tanks and such...
Are you talking about rising water temps and having water expand into an over flow or blowing water out the side of the engine if the heads and block seperate?
Old 12-15-2008, 05:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by bigredhelland
I have a noob question for this thread. After reading two and a half pages here I am still not sure exactly what you guys mean by "pushing water"
I ASSUMED that you were talking about running a lot of boost and high cylinder pressures and actually lifting the heads off from the deck of the block, but then I see a lot of posts about overflow tanks and such...
Are you talking about rising water temps and having water expand into an over flow or blowing water out the side of the engine if the heads and block seperate?
the cylinder pressure gets into the water passages and pushes water into the overflow...
Old 12-15-2008, 12:12 PM
Banned

I have never pushed any water running 149-151 on pump gas in 80-90 degree days. This past weekend it was 48 degrees and I added 3 gallons of 112 since I didn't have my laptop with me. Still on the same 12psi I trapped 155 but on the 5th pass it was 260 coolant temp on the return road and wouldn't cool off even with the motor off and electric h20 pump and fans running. The over flow overflowed and was bowling.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:58 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Louis
Bs3 doesn't?

Quick Reply: At what power level has people pushed water with a 4-bolt setup?