Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

delete intercooler; add nitrous

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 07:04 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The PTE 88 is a good unit and he would make more power with a sx88 yes. Although it wouldn't be much as he is more limited by the turbine housing. The n20 is a valid idea to make more power, e85 and such will not make more power especially with a already chocked up turbine housing. I think you would be looking to lift the heads more then any thing. Best route would be to upgrade the turbo drop weight and then maybe think about alcohol/e85 and base your turbo selection around that.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nitro Dave's Nitrous Outlet
For one you will need to switch the car over to Alcohol. This will require a complete fuel system change.. Then during tunning this system you will have to lower the boost and work up the tune with adding boost and nitrous while watching the airtemp.
At some point you may find your self spraying more nitrous and lower boost in order to keep it cool.
Dave
You would never need nitrous if you ran alcohol. Only thing you would have to change if he has not done it already is a good fuel pump and injectors.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Those wondering about E85 stations.
http://e85vehicles.com/e85-stations.htm
Old 09-10-2008, 07:34 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 1INSANEGTO
You would never need nitrous if you ran alcohol. Only thing you would have to change if he has not done it already is a good fuel pump and injectors.
you cant simply change for gas to alky and think everything will be the same,with alky you double the volume of fuel going into the engine-so you lose runner volume in the intake ports due to the extra fuel,also cam selection is totally different-comp ratio,the other problem is that with alky your exhaust volume increases-Mightymouse is allready restricted with his little *** pt88-adding alky will just increase backpressure,reducing power
Old 09-10-2008, 07:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

David is NEVER going to alcohol in this car bus. Get it out of your heads. It's not an option. This is a street car.........
Old 09-10-2008, 07:37 AM
FormerVendor

David,i had a customer put n2o on his s/c car to do the same thing,it was a 350cid sbc with a smaller vortech-pushing like 8-9psi,he added a 125 shot,the iat's dropped 2 deg
Old 09-10-2008, 07:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
you cant simply change for gas to alky and think everything will be the same,with alky you double the volume of fuel going into the engine-so you lose runner volume in the intake ports due to the extra fuel,also cam selection is totally different-comp ratio,the other problem is that with alky your exhaust volume increases-Mightymouse is allready restricted with his little *** pt88-adding alky will just increase backpressure,reducing power
Yes for got the turbo issue. I dont really think a cam would come into play under a turbo app as I have seen alot of guys using a stock cam and still making good power. But yes a better turbo would do wonders however e85 or alky would sure speed up spool time
Old 09-10-2008, 07:39 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by hellbents10
The PTE 88 is a good unit and he would make more power with a sx88 yes. Although it wouldn't be much as he is more limited by the turbine housing. The n20 is a valid idea to make more power, e85 and such will not make more power especially with a already chocked up turbine housing. I think you would be looking to lift the heads more then any thing. Best route would be to upgrade the turbo drop weight and then maybe think about alcohol/e85 and base your turbo selection around that.
I was thinking he was reaching the limits of the turbine housing, but the sx88 def would make more power.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:10 AM
TECH Veteran

So, would you drive on the street with a really low boost setting and rely on only the meth to not get the IATs too high, and then only use the N2O at the track when you want to cool the bigger boost? I just don't think that is a very good idea. It will make for a more boring street car with the potential for non cooled damage, and it appears it would take a 500hp N2O shot on top of the boost to cool the IATs even a little. You will probably choke the intake ports with all of that fuel and N2O and choke up the exhaust before the turbo.

Why don't you switch to a decent size A2A front mount and continue to use the Meth as needed?? Then if you still want more power and a little more cooling use a smaller N2O kit at the track.

Maybe you should just leave the A2W in there .
Old 09-10-2008, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
David is NEVER going to alcohol in this car bus. Get it out of your heads. It's not an option. This is a street car.........
So switch to E85 here is the station info.

CITGO
801 S Joyce Street
Arlington, VA

Last edited by 1INSANEGTO; 09-10-2008 at 08:27 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 08:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

So switch to E85 here is the station info.

CITGO
801 S Joyce Street
Arlington, VA
So under your thoughts David would drive 2 hrs..... (sometimes 4-5 hrs Traffic)each way to get fuel for everyday use???

I guess you dont know how far Arligton and Richmond are from each other and how bad driving to and from DC is (arligton is right there by DC)
Old 09-10-2008, 08:56 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

So under your thoughts David would drive 2 hrs..... (sometimes 4-5 hrs Traffic)each way to get fuel for everyday use???

I guess you dont know how far Arligton and Richmond are from each other and how bad driving to and from DC is (arligton is right there by DC)
He'd burn through an entire tank of gas trying to get home from the gas station if he went I95
Old 09-10-2008, 09:04 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah i wouldnt think you would want to be robbing fuel from the rails you would want a stand alone and then you get in to extra tanks and pumps
Old 09-10-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hey get a 55gal drum.. lol. Sucks yall only have 1 station there. We have 3-4 in Houston and one 3 miles from my House. However where my car is getting tuned there is none (Fort Worth) so I have to bring a 55Gal drum with me Something tells me E85 will be selling good at performance shops in your area
Old 09-10-2008, 10:42 AM
kp
8 Second Club

IMO nitrous is a good way to go, I'm putting a dry shot on mine with an FJO progressive controller but will keep the A2A. Figure I can give the true street boys at Memphis a run for their money if I can get consistent mid 8s. I have everything for a real nice A2W but with water is going to weigh near 100lbs and I cant afford another 100lbs right now.

When I ran my old P1SC and a 50 dry shot the IATs dropped 50+ degrees and the sensor was nowhere near the nozzles. That was one of the best street setups I had. I figure a 100 - 150 shot should net me at least 1/2 a second in the 1/4.

Downfall (for me) of course is its not legal in a lot of classes but a few of the classes I run in are simple tire limited and who cares whats under the hood so I figured I'd give it a 'shot'
Old 09-10-2008, 11:39 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Hey get a 55gal drum.. lol. Sucks yall only have 1 station there. We have 3-4 in Houston and one 3 miles from my House. However where my car is getting tuned there is none (Fort Worth) so I have to bring a 55Gal drum with me Something tells me E85 will be selling good at performance shops in your area

NOT true!!! There is 1 in Irving/Dallas/Sachse/Plano/Carrolton/Crowley/Mansfield/etc.

http://www.eere.energy.gov/afdc/stat...nd_station.php
Old 09-10-2008, 11:41 AM
Gingervitis Addict

Why not use Meth with the nitrous enrichment instead of gasoline?
Old 09-10-2008, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

I believe that Cablebandit tried this on his old incon setup, and ended up putting the intercoolers back on the car, even though they were horrible to begin with. It's just too hard to cool all that hot charge air down with meth/nitrous when you're running a gasoline motor.

Also, DrTurbo on another thread was talking about a new compact high hp turbo (1,400-1,500 hp) they are coming out with next week.

"If you want a small and high flowing turbo around 91mm power, but 88mm spool. We are working with Garrett on a compact GT47/GT55 hybrid. Will be the size of a GT42. The CHRA is already done, we are just working on the housings now. Good choice for about 1400-1500hp."
Old 09-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
a/a is not going to scratch the iat's i can get with my a/w

my intercooler is aluminum so please hold the salt

yes it might take a larger amount of nitrous than i anticipate.. how can i figure out how much.

again i do not have acess to e85 nor run the car on straight alcohol.

my tubo is a pte-88, i have space limitations
There is no simple rules here. Several things have to be looked at.
What are the air temp now pre intercooler. Whats the pressure pre intercooler and after intercooler. What rpm. etc etc.
Nitrous is not just cooling you will be adding more oxygen. just adding nitrous only will make your car much more violent. I think the amount of nitrous needed to offest the hot air temps would be pretty hi.
Lets say you are making 800hp but air temps are 200. You add 100 HP worth of nitrous at -127. The huge diffence between the two would not allow the nitrous to do much cooling over all but you did add a more oxygen. There is just too much hot air. Now if you where making 500 hp and dump 100 worth of nitrous you would see a very nice drop in air temps. These are just examples and thoughts.
I think you might get some data from the truck deisel guys. They see stupid hi temps, and use alot of nitrous to get more power. Someone might be looking at air temps while watching egts.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Why not A2A, meth kit and a small shot MM? It'll be near maintenance free with the A2A

Quick Reply: delete intercooler; add nitrous