Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Intake dilemna

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 11:06 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Intake dilemna

I have a dilemna guys. I will be [urchasing an APS kit pretty soon to go with a 370ci LME motor. On my 346 I currently have a FAST 90/90. I am thinking of going with just ported L92 heads, and i am wondering, should I....

A. Spend some more on nice heads (TFS or AFR) and stay with the Fast intake

or

B. Save some money on ported L92 heads and go with the victor and TB elbow setup.

The max I think I will go is around 12-15psi. Am I correct in assuming that the vicotr intake matches the port design of the L92 heads? Thanks for the input.
Old 09-26-2008, 12:40 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

correct me if im wrong but I dont think the victor jr. intake matches the ports of the l92 heads.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:47 PM
12 Second Club

Thats what Im trying to figure out. I thought I remember and article where they were testing the differences between the L76 intake and the edelbrock on an N/A L92 headed motor. Cant remember though
Old 09-26-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I dont think so. My buddy with a vette wanted to go l92 heads and a super vic but never had a part number and edlebrock never call back. But he has the super vic and prc heads its a nasty set up. I also have the vic jr I got rid of the fast because of the leaning out of the back pistons.
Old 09-26-2008, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 93camaro_zzz
I have a dilemna guys. I will be [urchasing an APS kit pretty soon to go with a 370ci LME motor. On my 346 I currently have a FAST 90/90. I am thinking of going with just ported L92 heads, and i am wondering, should I....

A. Spend some more on nice heads (TFS or AFR) and stay with the Fast intake

or

B. Save some money on ported L92 heads and go with the victor and TB elbow setup.

The max I think I will go is around 12-15psi. Am I correct in assuming that the vicotr intake matches the port design of the L92 heads? Thanks for the input.

Just get the L76 intake with the l92 heads they flow a ton. The intake flows more then the fast and is a 1 piece design (better for boost) and youll save thousands
Old 09-26-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The GMPP L92 single plane/EFI intake #25534416 is a nice piece if you prefer that look.

The L76 plastic intake is plenty capable if boosted as well.
Big power is available either way.
What are your HP goals and intended use of the car?
Old 09-26-2008, 11:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Off subect how in the hell a LS6 intake cost more than a l76? Nice pic and set up.
Old 09-27-2008, 06:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Off subect how in the hell a LS6 intake cost more than a l76? Nice pic and set up.
Cause it only works with l92 heads
Old 09-27-2008, 11:20 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the responses guys. My power goals are I want to make low 700's to the wheel. Like I said, I already have a FAST 90mm intake for LS1, so if this carries over, I could just use that, but I just love the setup of the edelbrock ones. I think it looks sweet.
Old 09-27-2008, 03:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haven't seen any proof the l72 intake is better than the fast. The fast can be ported and is setup for direct port and seems to hold up to 20psi although seen one guy that had a broken one and he said well under 20psi but no idea whats up there. Many builds have used the fast 90 with good results. AFR website links to two big 1000 hp builds with the fast 90s. One they originally used the sheet metal type and in the article said the fast made more power or something to that effect.

I may switch to the new street warrior if my fast don't hold boost. I am only shooting for think 12 to 15psi.Maybe 18 tops depending on if stick to current turbos or go to the uprgrade ones.

I have afr 225s as you can see in my sig. Should have track and dyno numbers next season too late for this year and not even sure it will be in and running right now but trying to get it done before car goes away.

Afr heads have thick deck which should help keep the head gaskets on there. I am using ls7 MLS head gaskets with standard arp head studs.See how that works.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:26 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Haven't seen any proof the l72 intake is better than the fast. The fast can be ported and is setup for direct port and seems to hold up to 20psi although seen one guy that had a broken one and he said well under 20psi but no idea whats up there. Many builds have used the fast 90 with good results. AFR website links to two big 1000 hp builds with the fast 90s. One they originally used the sheet metal type and in the article said the fast made more power or something to that effect.

I may switch to the new street warrior if my fast don't hold boost. I am only shooting for think 12 to 15psi.Maybe 18 tops depending on if stick to current turbos or go to the uprgrade ones.

I have afr 225s as you can see in my sig. Should have track and dyno numbers next season too late for this year and not even sure it will be in and running right now but trying to get it done before car goes away.

Afr heads have thick deck which should help keep the head gaskets on there. I am using ls7 MLS head gaskets with standard arp head studs.See how that works.
The intake is just something I heard . Obviously the fast will flow nicely the 2 piece design will sometimes seperate under boost not a huge deal. But considering the price of the L92/L76 combo compared to a fast /afr setup you could save thousands for a minimal diffrence in flow ,plus its not the biggest thing when your forcing the air in .

Really shouldnt have a problem get 700 with either combo mabe even ls6/317 combo
Old 07-27-2010, 12:12 AM
12 Second Club

Sorry guys, back in to looking in to this, cause Im looking to purchase in the next month.

Ok, what Im wondering now is the power (torque curve mainly) differences between my said LS6 style FAST 90 unported intake, and an edelbrock carb setup with elbow.

Does anyone actually have dyno differences between the two on a boosted application?

I saw in another magazine article, that between the two, the edelbrock only lost like 3-4hp against a FAST, but a massive 47ish torque! This was on a normally aspirated motor however, and I think boost would fill the gap if it was something on the mid range flow of the edelbrock setup.

Your guys' help is appreciated. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Intake dilemna