Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Trans Brake 2 Step

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2008, 12:54 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trans Brake 2 Step

Whats the best way to regulate boost and rpm on the trans brake? Is there a way besides having a 2 step and using a small spring in the wastegate? I can holod it at 4k rpms on the brake but the longer I sit there the boost obviously creeps up.
Old 09-27-2008, 01:41 PM
Coal Mining Director

2 step is your friend. You can set it low for bad traction days and high for boogie days.
Old 09-27-2008, 02:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by b18c1hybrid
Whats the best way to regulate boost and rpm on the trans brake? Is there a way besides having a 2 step and using a small spring in the wastegate? I can holod it at 4k rpms on the brake but the longer I sit there the boost obviously creeps up.

That's is the way I'm running mine. TH-400 with T/B. 2lb wastegate; 2-step. I can set the 2-step at an rpm that the track will hold the boost the SS makes. Most of the time our track is ****!! So I end up setting the 2-step at 3700, only makes about 3-4lbs. AND I still blow the tires off Oh yea - I am using a C02 controlled AMS-1000 to help things out.

One of these days I will be able to leave at 4500rpms on 10lbs of boost

David
Old 09-27-2008, 02:20 PM
Banned

I'm running a 10psi spring. I'm thinking if I set a 2 step at 3500rpms the longer I sit of it the higher boost will climb. Is that not the case. Since its under a load I think it would just continue to build boost without raising the rpms.

Btw what are you guys running for a catch can setup. We tapped each valve cover with -8 and ran it to a can the ran a line from the can to the intake tube in front of the turbo. It has no check valve and it seem like it might be doing worse than before. Could the inlet pipe be pressurizing the can somehow?
Old 09-27-2008, 04:04 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by b18c1hybrid
I'm running a 10psi spring. I'm thinking if I set a 2 step at 3500rpms the longer I sit of it the higher boost will climb. Is that not the case. Since its under a load I think it would just continue to build boost without raising the rpms.
That is why I went with a 2lb spring and the AMS-1000. With the 8lb spring, the longer I sat on the 2-step, the higher the boost, easier it was to spin. My launch boost is now much easier to control.

Btw what are you guys running for a catch can setup. We tapped each valve cover with -8 and ran it to a can the ran a line from the can to the intake tube in front of the turbo. It has no check valve and it seem like it might be doing worse than before. Could the inlet pipe be pressurizing the can somehow?

My catch can setup - -8 to the can from both valve covers... period. The can has a filter. Never a problem. Why would you run the lines to the "intake tube in front of the turbo?"

david
Old 09-27-2008, 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It takes rpm rising on the brake to continue to build boost. On the 2 step my car would build 6-7 quickly and would not build another lb if I sat there for 3-4-5 seconds.
Old 09-27-2008, 05:21 PM
Banned

From doing alot of looking online alot of people ran it back to the inlet of the turbo for it to pull a vaccum on the can. You just need a well baffled can to not suck oil back into the intake. Most of them ran a check valve on the line going to the intake pipe.