Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Forced Inductions Turbo Stress Test

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 04:46 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

I guess those that think its easy stopped...could stick their hand over the intake

It might stop the engine......once it gets to your shoulder !!!
Old 10-06-2008, 04:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for just stepping back and accepting the inevitable. Someone would have to have some huge marbles/no brains to start pulling stuff apart in that situation.

Amazing the turbo lasted with that heat.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:02 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,141 Likes on 741 Posts

With that combo bellowing and roaring at 6 grand and the engine and pipes glowing red, I think that folks stood pretty far back like several car lengths back.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

what you guys seem to be forgetting is that fire departments use the fire extinguisher method to stop run aways in trucks and buses. what are the other safe alternatives? let it get out of hand, burn the truck down?
Old 10-06-2008, 06:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Safe alternative...get the **** away from it !!!!!

If you have a large enough fir extinguisher that you can be sure it will do the job, then maybe it is worth the risk.

Id say more often than not, they stop with a rod out the side of the block.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:16 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Safe alternative...get the **** away from it !!!!!

If you have a large enough fir extinguisher that you can be sure it will do the job, then maybe it is worth the risk.

Id say more often than not, they stop with a rod out the side of the block.

Yup, this one stopped when the pistons decided to exit out the exhaust valves.
Old 10-06-2008, 09:19 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i feel his pain..........i had a throttle stick in my 67 buick GS special.i tried for a second to get it unstuck then ran like a bitch to the back of the car and just sat there.Not much you can do when the key wont shut it off and the battery cables dont cut it off.Bout the only thing you can do is what i did and call a tow truck.LOL i just waited for what seemed to be an eternity for it to just blow..
come to find out it was something that i took a shortcut on,needless to say i have never bought a important part used or tried to fab one up since....Im glad its a great built unit cause i have one of their turbo's and i do stupid stuff when im drunk.....sorry to hear about his lose..
Old 10-07-2008, 04:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by crf538
i saw a run away Diesel suck up a phone book when someone tried to cut off the air to it...it stopped, but the phone book was mostly inside of it by the time it did.
That would of been cool to see!!!
Old 10-07-2008, 07:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I work on diesels for a living, sometimes when the FNG's work on these things they dont adjust the throttle stop right and they stick wide open, it is scary, last year we had a rod shoot out the side of a detroit. We have a 1/2in thick metal plate with a handle we just throw over the turbo inlet to starve it of air......
Old 10-07-2008, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Diesels are a whole different animal when it comes to runaway! They will do their darnedest to keep chugging along until they pop. We watched a Duramax runaway the other day on the dyno. It popped the turbo and started feeding off the oil running to lube the turbo. Finally a LARGE fire extinguisher got it shut down, but it took nearly the whole bottle to bring it down. I recommend a guillotine shut-off, a manual fuel line shut-off, and a big supply of CO2.
Old 10-08-2008, 04:48 AM
Launching!

just a question, I know that diesel's have a mechanical fuel pump to run at the ridiculous fuel pressures they run, but does that pump pull the fuel to the engine bay AND pressurize the rails? Or is there an intank pump to push the fluid up to mech. pump for pressurization?
Old 10-08-2008, 06:06 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by HossinatorSS
just a question, I know that diesel's have a mechanical fuel pump to run at the ridiculous fuel pressures they run, but does that pump pull the fuel to the engine bay AND pressurize the rails? Or is there an intank pump to push the fluid up to mech. pump for pressurization?
On a Duramax, one pump does it all. It pulls from the tank and loads the high side lines to 26,000psi. It's a two stage pump contained in one unit. Some guys also run an electric lift pump on the low side to help keep the high side pump/s fed.

On a 12 valve Dodge, there's a mechanical lift pump that feeds the high pressure pump. On a 24v, there's an electric lift pump that feeds the injector pump. These fail often and take out the injector pumps on the 24v trucks.

For those curious,

Nick
Old 10-08-2008, 06:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by B18B1LS1
Diesels are a whole different animal when it comes to runaway! They will do their darnedest to keep chugging along until they pop. We watched a Duramax runaway the other day on the dyno. It popped the turbo and started feeding off the oil running to lube the turbo. Finally a LARGE fire extinguisher got it shut down, but it took nearly the whole bottle to bring it down. I recommend a guillotine shut-off, a manual fuel line shut-off, and a big supply of CO2.
A guillotine style stuff is worthless if you pop a turbo. The guillotine is before the compressor housing. If the housing is damaged it will suck outside air rendering the guillotine worthless. The best air shut off is in line butterfly mounted right on the intake after the IC and turbo. The best ones are made in the UK by Chalwyn. http://www.chalwyn.co.uk/pdfs/CE217.pdf I have the MVX-303 on my Dmax pulling truck. It works great. Shuts the engine very quickly. Cheap insurance when you compare it to the cost of a built engine, pump and turbo.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Very true, add the butterfly to the list if it has a positive locking feature.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:56 AM
Staging Lane

The one I listed does and is easily reset. One of the few things I have bought for my truck that I thought was worth the money.

People think LSXs are expensive. You can have a nice short block for what Dmax rods cost. LOL
Old 10-08-2008, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Why diesels need 26,000psi fuel pressure??
Old 10-08-2008, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Vetal
Why diesels need 26,000psi fuel pressure??
Nature of the beast!
Old 10-08-2008, 05:18 PM
Launching!

1 reason is that the fuel is injected during the compression stroke so that the pressure inside the cylinder is much greater than when fuel is injected in a gasoline engine. But that doesn't necessitate 26kpsi. A major reason is that the higher pressure allows for better atomization of the fuel which means better combustion.

In a spark ignition engine, the flame front propagates outward from the spark plug and happens relatively fast. Fast enough that it's usually modeled as a constant volume with sudden pressure increase event. A diesel on the other hand, ignites when the compression causes the air in the cylinder to become hot enough that it ignites the fuel. Well, if the diesel fuel is atomized better thru injection at higher pressures, this SHOULD occur simultaneously throughout the cylinder. Typically diesels are modeled as a constant pressure w/volume change event. If the diesel could be ignited more uniformly and rapidly, then the pressure in the cylinder at TDC (or close to it) would be much greater and able to do more work on the piston as it goes down in the cylinder.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:12 PM
Staging Lane

wouldn't a on-off valve before the mech pump to shut the fuel off work?
Old 10-09-2008, 12:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

the diesel engine can burn the crank case oil and vapors even after the fuel has been shut off

Quick Reply: Forced Inductions Turbo Stress Test