Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

need help with 98 fuel system!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 06:46 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default need help with 98 fuel system!!!

Im trying to get my car started up for the first time and working on connecting the fuel lines to the rails. I have a set of professional products fuel rails with a regulator for the 98 fuel system. I had to cut up the stock fuel lines and then replace it with rubber hoses so i could get it to fit onto the new regulator. so i go to prime the fuel lines first time no leaks, second time it starts spraying out where it connects to the regulator. I have all the hoses tightened down and im not sure whats making it leak. Maybe I connected the hoses in the wrong place on the regulator because i wasnt 100% sure which was the return and feed lines.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:28 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did you use sealant on the fittings into the reg? The PP stuff is pipe threads.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Regular

Yes i used sealant on the threads. I fixed the leak and now im trying to start the motor but it wont start. It seems the fuel is not getting past the regulator. I unscrewed the fittings after the regulator and they are dry. Nothing seems to be blocking the fuel.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:42 AM
TECH Regular

also which lines are the return and feed? wasnt totally sure on that. maybe that could be the problem. I thought the return was the line without the green cap and feed was with the green cap.
Old 07-21-2009, 12:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

The line with the green cap is for the EVAP system. It does not transport fuel at all.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:48 PM
FormerVendor

Spoke with you yesterday hope you got it straightened out.
Old 07-22-2009, 09:12 PM
TECH Regular

Ive got the lines and everything hooked up correctly. now ive come to another problem. Fuel keeps leaking out of the fittings. the problem is I keep fixing the leak and then it goes and leaks from a different spot. The sealer im using is crap and wont hold. It says in the directions for the fuel rails to use Loctite #569 OR some sort of pipe sealer. I cannot find this special loctite in any auto parts store or hardware store. So i ended up using this.
Useless crap

Reason I used that is because it was the closest thing i could find to thread sealant. I think once i can get the loctite 569, it will seal. Just curious what you guys have used to seal the fuel rails?

Now the next problem, I got it to seal for a very short amount of time and then it started leaking. I was trying to start my motor for the first time and it still wouldnt start. Not even a cough. I would think that it would still be spraying some fuel even if it was leaking a little bit. Now this leads me to believe that either the fuel injectors got clogged up from the crappy sealant i used or that im not getting a spark. I pulled one of the plugs to see if it was wet and it was still dry.

Please help im driving myself crazy over this damn car
Old 07-23-2009, 07:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Do the fittings you have that screw onto the ends of the fuel rails have rubber o-rings?

Man, that Permatex will likely take forever to dry. I wouldn't recommend it, but many folks use normal thread lock on their nitrous fittings and there's more pressure involved in a nitrous line than in your fuel system.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:09 AM
TECH Regular

They do not have rubber o-rings. I ordered some of that loctite 569 so that better do the job. Im just concerned now why the engine still didnt fire even with the rails leaking. It wasnt spraying out just a fast drip. I would think that wouldnt be enough to stop the injectors from spraying. or unless im not getting any spark. Is there a way to test that the injectors are spraying fuel and a way to test if im getting a spark?
Old 07-23-2009, 09:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Is the regulator that you got, the one that comes in the kit and it's adjustable?

You'll need to cycle the key a few times to prime the system and push all of the air out before trying to start the car. You want the pressure to build at the rails. If you talked to Nate, I will assume that you have everything hooked up correctly. Do you have a pressure guage on your regulator?

To test for fuel, you could pull out the spark plugs and unhook the wiring harness for the coil packs. Turn the car over and smell for fuel in the cylinders. After doing this, if there is fuel, you'll want to the let the car sit for a little while to allow the fuel to bleed out before attempting to fire with the plugs back in.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:49 AM
TECH Regular

turns out that i didnt even need the regulator that came with the kit. I guess that is for the 97-98 corvette and not 98 fbody. I do not have a fuel pressure gauge.

If tested for fuel the way you said could I just pull some of the plugs in the front and leave the rears? Will the extra fuel foul the plugs?