Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

HELP!! What would cause an injector to stick open??

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 01:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Default HELP!! What would cause an injector to stick open??

I have been chasing a huge miss since last fall. There is massive fuel being dumped (puddles on the garage floor) into the exhaust and it drowns out the spark. I verified this by putting new plugs in, firing up the car and the #8 comes out shiny and new (and wet) as well as the header tube being much colder then the rest. The fuel is drowning the spark out. So #8 it is.

I've switched the #8 injector to another hole and it didn't do anything. Still shiny new plug in #8. I am convinced it is the wiring but have gone through the harness and versafueler wiring and don't see anything cut or out of the ordinary. I'm running a versafuler and 72# injectors on a 95 TA btw.

The opti was just done last month so that should be OK.

What in the wiring would cause an injector to stick open. I am getting 11.55V from the pink wire on #8 and all the wires on the driver side for that matter. The ground wire looks fine. Is there another ground I'm missing??

Any ideas??
Thanks
Old 07-28-2009, 02:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm not getting any DTC codes either but I am seeing "Injector fault" under the (binary) status bit display with TTSdatamaster.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if there's a short to ground in your harness? I dont know if the lt1's have batch fire or sequential but if its sequential, maybe a driver is shorted/bad. Its the chip that provides ground to the injector to fire it. Anyway, go to autozone and buy a noid light. Its just a plug in device that goes into the injector harness in place of the injector. It has a light bulb that will flash as the PCM tries to fire that injector. If it lights up with the key on and never even flashes while cranking, then you know its harness/PCM related. You can also use an ohm meter to check for ground on the non powered side of the injector plug. If its grounded- showing low ohms- unplug the PCM and see if the ohm meter shows an open circuit. If it shows an open circuit, you have a bad PCM, if its still low ohms (grounded) you need to trace the pinched or shorted wire in the harness.

Quick Reply: HELP!! What would cause an injector to stick open??