Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

E85 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 01:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E85 conversion

Ive looked around a bit on the forums, couldent really find a writeup on what you need with the LS1 to go to E85, anyone got a list?

This is a stock LS1 with the exception of exaust and ram air.

My eclipse basicly required:
Fuel pump (wally 255)
Fuel Pressure Regulator (AEM)
Injectors (750cc RC)
Fuel Rail (cant remember)
Fuel Lines (braided steel)
Piggy back engine management (was on Emanage now on AEM 1930)
Dyno tune

so, what is required for the LS1 to do this conversion?

it was a night and day difference going from 93 octane to E85 in the eclipse, hoping LS1 is the same, plus in the grand sceme of things could be a cheap way to make good power and not waste money if i want to upgrade to supercharge later... id still use these mods.

Thanks for your input,

Ian
Old 09-08-2009, 02:19 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Send me your computer, we'll get you some injectors, a GSS340 pump, have a nice day.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Schwanke Engines
Send me your computer, we'll get you some injectors, a GSS340 pump, have a nice day.
Could you elaborate a bit more on this? What if you have 700-900hp and a turbo? What all would you need for this to be running without damage to stock rubber lines?
Old 09-08-2009, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RS_SS69
Could you elaborate a bit more on this? What if you have 700-900hp and a turbo? What all would you need for this to be running without damage to stock rubber lines?
more than likely when your up in that hp range on E85 your going to be running a sumped inline pump or multiple intake pumps. so there for all your stock lines will be steel braided and completely redone. so nothing to worry about. there's a old material they used for o-rings that deteriated with E-85 but on the newer vehicles i havnt seen any problems or heard about any. we have three small block FI cars that are on E85. 2 are over 1000rwhp, and the pro car is around 2200hp

all you need to convert to E85 is injectors, pump, and retune.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fueltruck
Ive looked around a bit on the forums, couldent really find a writeup on what you need with the LS1 to go to E85, anyone got a list?

This is a stock LS1 with the exception of exaust and ram air.

My eclipse basicly required:
Fuel pump (wally 255)
Fuel Pressure Regulator (AEM)
Injectors (750cc RC)
Fuel Rail (cant remember)
Fuel Lines (braided steel)
Piggy back engine management (was on Emanage now on AEM 1930)
Dyno tune

so, what is required for the LS1 to do this conversion?

it was a night and day difference going from 93 octane to E85 in the eclipse, hoping LS1 is the same, plus in the grand sceme of things could be a cheap way to make good power and not waste money if i want to upgrade to supercharge later... id still use these mods.

Thanks for your input,

Ian
It will be a wash if you are NA with a stock or close to stock LS1. Do a little searching here, its been done for quite a while.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by millerpa
more than likely when your up in that hp range on E85 your going to be running a sumped inline pump or multiple intake pumps. so there for all your stock lines will be steel braided and completely redone. so nothing to worry about. there's a old material they used for o-rings that deteriated with E-85 but on the newer vehicles i havnt seen any problems or heard about any. we have three small block FI cars that are on E85. 2 are over 1000rwhp, and the pro car is around 2200hp

all you need to convert to E85 is injectors, pump, and retune.
Thanks paul, that will have to wait for a bit I guess.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

really? did you look very hard?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/fueling-i...r-ls1-e85.html

millerpa is right, bigger injectors, pump & a retune.

to whoever asked about it damaging lines, no ti wont. ethanol is non-corrosive, common misconception. read through that link. its a VERY good read.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:25 PM
MJD
12 Second Club

A tune is a must. Injectors are probably all you'll need but I wouldn't swap them until you find you duty cycle after converting. I'm at 442rwhp and still on stock pump with booster and 42# injectors running about 80%. I did not pick up any power with the conversion but I didn't lose any either. Getting ready to add boost to the mix.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Pump injectors and a tune as has been stated. I run twin intank pumps and 79# injectors thru the stock feed lines.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:27 PM
Teching In

Default ohh

Originally Posted by WSsick
ok, guess not, thanks
second time this happened... guess ima just stop posting questions

Thanks to those who helped, glad to hear this is easier then my ol' ricer
Old 09-08-2009, 11:44 PM
12 Second Club

ok, guess not, thanks

Don't stress too much. Happens to a bunch of people.

One big help is when you enter your search info make sure you are in advanced search mode and then select sort by relevancy.

They are all right though, simple procedure just remember you need a bit more injector and pump then you would if you were running gasoline.

I am building an 416" LS3 with spray and I will be doing E85 as well. Good way to keep cost and detonation down.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok, guess not, thanks

no sorry i didnt mean to come off like a dick. guess i should have re-read that. just trying to show you that its out there. our search isnt as helpful as it used to be, now i usually go to google and do

site:ls1tech.com and then whatever words i wanna search and it works great, like it used to lol. the search here has tricks, like using quotes and what not. dont stop posting questions, just make sure you are very thorough before you do, because in a lot of sections, there will be more than 1 thread at a time on the same thing.
Old 09-11-2009, 02:26 AM
TECH Regular

Done it years ago on ls2. All you need is a tune. The ls2 injectors are #32 and that's enough for the stock power. And its not a wash on power. On ls1gto I posted my dyno charts oem gas vs oem e-85. Was like 15 hp 30 wtq better.
Old 05-04-2016, 07:27 PM
Teching In

My car is running Texas speed head and their mild cam. 32# injectors and 80mm tb. Long tube headers and 3" exhaist with no cats and magnaflow. Would it be worth converting to e85? Also how would I be able to go about switching from pump to e85 tune on the fly?
Old 05-06-2016, 02:14 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RS_SS69

The lines aren't rubber. There nylon. All u need is to have a way to richen the afr
Old 05-06-2016, 02:21 AM
TECH Regular

Actually switching your tune on the fly is asking to much of an oem ECM. It can be done with an ECM that accepts input from a fuel content sensor but all that isn't necessary.

Since you're not FI all u need to do is set afr to 12.2. If u can't do that you could raise the fuel pressure 15%

The ecm can adjust the afr up or down, from 12.2, enough to compensate for which ever fuel you are using via the oxygen sensors.

This is what I'm currently doing on my ls3

Quick Reply: E85 conversion