Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Anybody running a Fuel Cold Can?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody running a Fuel Cold Can?

like the title says, Anybody running a Cold Can? i had a home made one on my truck in High School and it did make a differance, not real sure the results or pros and conns of them on an EFI system. If you do have one what results, who made it, and whats your personal opinon of them?

for those of you who have no earthly idea what im talking about:

a cold can is a cooling can for the fuel. its insulated, and the fuel line usually goes in the top and has a number of coils inside the can itself before exiting the bottom. it is mounted as close to the motor as possible.

the can is then filled with something cold like ice water or dry ice to cool the fuel, resulting in a colder (sometimes well below freezing temp of water depending what you put in it) air/fuel charge and makin more power.

My question is how will the rails and injectors hold up to such low temps? How well will the PCM adjust? the cold part will come in after the air has passed the IAT sensor.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:47 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool cans were used to cool the fuel enough to keep it from vaporizing in the hot carburetor fuel bowls. By the time it gets through the carb, it is not that cold. A cool can just removes enough heat to keep it from being 100 plus deg. Some components of the fuel start to vaporize as low as 130deg.

Since fuel is under pressure in an EFI application, it can withstand a lot higher temp before boiling becomes an issue. Also the rails soak up a lot of engine heat due to the extensive surface area, so the fuel will be hot by the time it enters the engine. This is not a problem as long as it makes it through the injector in a liquid form... which it will.

I would not waste the effort trying it.

Last edited by Lonnies Performance; 09-27-2009 at 06:55 PM.

Quick Reply: Anybody running a Fuel Cold Can?