Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2009, 11:05 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Fuel Problems

The car was running great. Put some pump gas in it and as soon as I started it, the car would barely run. It cleared out a little bit and continued home. As I pull in the driveway the car is barely running.

I turned the car off and turned my scanmaster on. Started the car and it was great idles at about 1000 rpms and the O2 was around 880 and the fuel trims were great for about 1.5 seconds. Then the car starts losing rpm at idle, the O2's went down to 27 and the LTFT ended up at +30. I turned the car off and pulled the plugs and they were WHITE as can be. The car is tuned fat.

I plan on changing the fuel filter and then putting a fuel pressure guage on the car. The pump is a Walbro 255 and sounds normal when turning the key on as the pump primes.

My guess is that the pump is somehow losing pressure or bleeding off. Any other ideas?
Old 10-06-2009, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issues and my TA is down and I am about to put in a 255 pump. Mine did pretty much the same, check your fuel pressure at the schrader valve on the fuel rail at the engine. Have some one turn the key over but don't start it, at the same time push in on the valve, its about the same as a tire valve, BE CAREFUL, have a rag or a 2 liter bottle over the valve with a rag because if you have full pressure it will shoot out! Mine was just dripping out and then I went to autozone and they have a rental tool for $150 deposit you can use, mine was only putting out a few lbs of pressure at the schrader, so unless its varnish in the line, I have to put in a new pump.

Did you put in your pump? If so did you do it the hard way, drop the rear, the exhaust and the tank or cut a hole in the body?