Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

if i switched from carb to FI

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 08:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Default if i switched from carb to FI

would i be able to use a stock style computer?-i have an LQ4, stroked,
Procharger, using a carb now, with an MSD box to control the cam, crank, and coils-if i wanted to swap over to an FI system, i would use a GM carb intake drilled for injectors, carb style throttle body, and reuse my ex fuel pump with a reg change-could i use a stock computer (i have) and a modded wiring harness to run the cam, crank, coils, A/F ratios, maybe knock sensors, and throttle postion sensor-looking at sort of a budget setup, but not sure if the computer can be reprogramed enough, or is there limitations on it
Old 12-02-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No reason that you can't work with a stock pcm on a budget.
Many shops will steer you toward aftermarket systems depending on the application,
(ie conversion/race car over 800+HP) to consolidate boost control, trans brake, etc.
If I had it to do over again, I would have gone that direction from the start.
The $2,700 is a big chunk of change all at once, but the various modules, injector driver box, etc. add up to nearly as much as a full blown aftermarket system.
Plus you will have WOT fuel control with an aftermarket box.
Weigh the options, and decide what makes the most sense for your intended usage of the car. The more of a dedicated race car you have, the more an aftermarket system will start to become a better choice. Street cars steer towards a stock PCM.

Just my .02

Jim
Old 12-03-2009, 05:21 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Give us a call and ask for Brent, and he can give you a great price on a Big Stuff 3.
260 244-4808. Bob