Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Upgraded Fuel System with return. please look

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Upgraded Fuel System with return. please look

Im in the process of upgrading the fuel system, so far i have aeromotive adapter 15121 connected to the the stock rails up front. This feeds a sx afr with the return going back to the tank. I blocked the factory return with a npt plug. A hotwire kit was added the the main harness and main pump(gss340). Removed the factory regulator. Im running dual walbro gss340 pumps. The second pump is powered by a painless weatherproof kit. The painless relay kit is activated via a boost switch under the hood. There is also a red status led that i wired in the dash. Did i miss anything? Is this a safe proper setup? 80lb injectors

Last edited by pdasterly; 01-16-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wow. Looks really cluttered lol
Old 01-17-2010, 10:27 PM
11 Second Club

do you have a picture of what is the factory regulator in the tank?? i have a 98 also and i need to remove the stock in-tank reg.
Old 01-17-2010, 10:57 PM
TECH Resident

I converted my 98 to a 2002, but it should be the same. The regulator you cant miss just pull your fuel pump and its located right under the top(round)
Old 01-17-2010, 11:10 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by pdasterly
I converted my 98 to a 2002, but it should be the same. The regulator you cant miss just pull your fuel pump and its located right under the top(round)
i gotcha... i was confused about the thing that was connected to a tube that ran to the bottom of the tank and there was a round piece that was connected to the cap of the tank but it looks like a check valve
Old 01-18-2010, 05:59 PM
9 Second Club

show me a pic of how you have the lines going to your rails.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

look very carefully and you will see this fitting allowing the regulator to be attached to the factory rails
Old 01-18-2010, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

man if i knew about that fitting i would have saved a ton of money and headache of doing aftermarket rails and fitting to just have a FPR
Old 01-18-2010, 09:36 PM
TECH Resident

tell me about it, I was going to borrow the parts off my other car just to put the regulator on, this one piece ended up saving me about $500
Old 01-20-2010, 01:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

The only thing I see is, the stock return might not be able to return the amount of fuel needed to get your fuel pressure where you want it. If you find unusually high fuel pressure, especially when the second pump fires, the return may be the problem.
I havr a similar setup, an SX reg like yours, and I have a -6 hose for my return... and with just one Walbro, I cannot get my fuel pressure below 62psi. So, I have my reg set to 63psi and have adjusted my IFR tables in my tune accordingly to reflect the new flow rate. Also, if you see the pressure dropping suddenly when you stab the throttle with that SX reg, run the vac port to your intake manifold and then set your fuel pressure. I had a pressure drop when launching and hooking up the vac port solved it. Just an FYI.
Old 01-21-2010, 10:52 AM
TECH Resident

fuel pressure is around 58-59 with one pump, vacuum is tee'd in near the map sensor. I removed the stock return and blocked it with a npt plug, the new return is off the regulator. Did you eventually change the regulator or how is it working for you now?
Old 01-21-2010, 11:04 AM
FormerVendor

You really are no better than the factory fuel system accept a more accurate regulator and boost ref. You still have it before the fuel rails to properly regulate the fuel at the injectors you need a feed into the rails, out to the regulator and then back to the tank. A flow through not a dead head at the rail.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

No. Didnt change a thing. I still have the Walbro in the tank, FAST 17mm rails, Lucas 42lb injectors, stock return is removed... -6 return from the reg which is after the rails, I am using the stock feed line part of the way up, then it turns to a -6AN with a braided hose with an adapter. I have a -8 crossover between the rails in back. Rock steady fuel pressure until I spray a large wet shot. Then the NX Maximizer turns on the Boost-a-pump and I am back to having lots of pressure.

My point was if your new pressure is higher than the old before the install, your injector flow rates may be off in your tune, thats all. I love the SX regs by the way. Easily rebuildable. I used one on my Supra for 3 years with never a problem.

Originally Posted by pdasterly
fuel pressure is around 58-59 with one pump, vacuum is tee'd in near the map sensor. I removed the stock return and blocked it with a npt plug, the new return is off the regulator. Did you eventually change the regulator or how is it working for you now?
Old 01-22-2010, 01:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Nasty N8
You really are no better than the factory fuel system accept a more accurate regulator and boost ref. You still have it before the fuel rails to properly regulate the fuel at the injectors you need a feed into the rails, out to the regulator and then back to the tank. A flow through not a dead head at the rail.
Should i move the regulator to the driver's side front where the shrader valve is located?
Old 01-22-2010, 12:51 PM
FormerVendor

That really would not help alot as its a short route to the shrader leaving the pass rail out of the loop. You need a flow through style like billet rails where you can come in the back driver rail, x-over the front and exit the back pass to your regulator. That is the proper way to get it returned that way you have full pressure all across the rails if the inj. pull pressure down the reg will see the drop and adjust.
Old 01-22-2010, 02:05 PM
TECH Resident

ok got it, i need some rails