Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

5.3 approach to fuel lines give opinion !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 06:02 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.3 approach to fuel lines give opinion !!!!

here is what I hope will be a good set up... but since I am a newbie I need opinions I have a 5.3 engine swap into a 1984 chevy truck the engine has the single rail so what I hope to do is get a russell fitting 640850 like this

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...ial&Ntt=640850 get two of this one for at the fuel rail and one from the 6an braided line to the corvette filter
than get some 6an ready line run it down to the corvette filter and use another of the same adapters as above and then one of this http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/raframecatalog.php (expand pic by clicking close to price) and connect that to the russell fitting and the corvette filter....
thing is that I am a over the road driver and have not yet seen the filter so I dont know if the last fitting on the link will connect to the filter or not... any one?
its hard to have to drive 650 miles a day thinking about the swap parts
thanks in advanced just trying to get this going..

Last edited by fptransport; 02-02-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:50 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 145 Posts

Couldn't get the second link to work, but the first fitting will work if you're planning on using AN fittings. If you're on a budget, you can go to a salvage yard (self serve like a Pick n Pull or something) and get fittings in 5/16 and 3/8 off of almost any late model GM car or truck, I've used them for years with no problem at all, then use fuel injection rated hose to hook them to metal fuel line with fuel injection clamps. The Walbro is a good pump, but since you are working on an '84, I would get an intank Walbro and use a fuel sending unit from an '87 Chevy truck, as it will work better and last longer, plus you won't have to come up with a place to run the return line to the tank. Hope this helps.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:05 AM
FormerVendor

I have all the fittings needed for the filter in stock and also have a complete kit for retro swaps with everything you will need to hook your tank to the rails.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:21 AM
On The Tree

ls1nova, would you happen to have pictures of the fittings and fuel injection hose clamp you're refferring to? The way I'm interpretting what you're saying is to use steel lines with regular flares that you can make with a $30 flaring tool. Then take the rubber hose and slide it over the metal fuel line and clamp it down?

Slide this

over this

and tighten with this
Old 02-12-2010, 11:13 AM
FormerVendor

Would not trust clamps at 58psi. I have all the correct GM style adapters to make it right.
Old 02-13-2010, 11:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 199 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by battsup
ls1nova, would you happen to have pictures of the fittings and fuel injection hose clamp you're refferring to? The way I'm interpretting what you're saying is to use steel lines with regular flares that you can make with a $30 flaring tool. Then take the rubber hose and slide it over the metal fuel line and clamp it down?
The way you understand it is correct, and those are the parts. It will work, but I'm not going to get into a pissing match with others like they tried to make me do on another thread. Some people think the only way to do it right is to use braided fuel line and all AN fittings. That's an excellent way to do it, but not the only way. All I'm going to say is I have a combined 175,000 on conversions, some of which were done over 10 years ago, all done this way and I have never had a problem. Just make sure to use a good quality fuel injection rated hose, and if you're worried about the hose coming off, you can double the clamps, putting the screw part on opposite sides, that gives you the best clamping force. But I seriously doubt that the hose would ever be able to pull off over the flare, I have never had that happen, nor have I seen it. I have seen hoses blow off of un-flared metal line however. I hope this helps, if you want to know anything else just ask.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:58 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll agree with the above post in a limited fashion...

A double clamped hose over a flare will likely hold. I am more hesitant using it at the LS1 58# pressure than the other 43psi & lower applications.
EFI hose should support the pressure, but I recommend you only use it in limited amounts.

Never run it front to rear, only use it for the flex connections at the tank & engine... use as much hard line as possible. Also check it often as it gets hard & brittle over time. I have a few old pieces here that I removed from cars, that you can actually hear them crack if you bend them. I've seen this happen in under 2 years.

I did a TPI conversion on my own Chevy truck & a short piece on the return line connection cracked under the hood, dripping fuel on the engine.

Just be careful, it doesn't take a lot of gas to make a big fire.

Quick Reply: 5.3 approach to fuel lines give opinion !!!!