Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

MSD or Kenne Bell boost-a-pump for LS1???

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 05:10 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default MSD or Kenne Bell boost-a-pump for LS1???

Which boost-a-pump is better for nitrous application on LS1's? I know they both work pretty much the same, but I thought I saw where Racetronix once said one is better than the other for LS1 style cars. Anyone know? which ones are you using?

SDB
Old 12-27-2003, 12:54 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We use the MSD one it works just the same.

Nate
Old 12-27-2003, 07:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by SDB
Which boost-a-pump is better for nitrous application on LS1's? I know they both work pretty much the same, but I thought I saw where Racetronix once said one is better than the other for LS1 style cars. Anyone know? which ones are you using?

SDB
The MSD unit ramps the voltage based on a MAP signal and a user adjustable range.

The KB unit uses a switched input to select between 12V and a user set boost voltage (hi/low)

Either unit will work with N20 as long as you wire them to provide normal voltage w/o N20 and a boosted voltage with N20.

16V is the maximum for reliable Walbro performance. Any more than 16V and the pumps start to cavitate.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 12-27-2003, 09:36 PM
TECH Junkie

I ran a MSD boost-a-pump,it fried 2 stock fuel pumps with my supercharged truck it boosted fuel pressure every time I showed 1 psi of boost.My personal feeling is that you are better off switching it on when you need it.An inline pump is not that expensive and is a lot safer.
Old 12-27-2003, 11:56 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by whitt1
I ran a MSD boost-a-pump,it fried 2 stock fuel pumps with my supercharged truck it boosted fuel pressure every time I showed 1 psi of boost.My personal feeling is that you are better off switching it on when you need it.An inline pump is not that expensive and is a lot safer.
An in-line pump will do very little to extend the overall fuel volume but rather will extend ones current available volume at a higher pressure as this is a series configuration. A factory in-tank pump will act as a restriction to an in-line HP pump such as a Walbro GSL392. It is always best to upgrade the in-tank pump as the first step.

A Walbro pump can run at 16V for quite a long time without any adverse effects. A factory vane pump is another story. A (MSD) pump booster should be set to ramp up the voltage only when required.

>WEB SITE<
Old 12-28-2003, 03:03 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

Thanks for quick reply...

One more question about boost-a-pumps...would I be able to get by with an intank Walboro 340M, hotwire kit, and a volt-blaster (which apparently raises alternator output by 2.2 volts at anything over 70% throttle)? Basically, would the hotwire kit for the pump and a volt-blaster do the same as getting a MSD or KenneBell boost-a-pump?

I am running a 200 wet shot, taking it off the rail (GM MAF Kit) on a 382 stroker...installing SVO 30lb injectors, and an intank Walboro 340M. I would like to use the racetronix set up, but it is not yet available for the 99+ applicaiton, and dual intank walboro's seem to heat up the fuel too much. I am confident that a 340 intank with boost-a-pump will work, but am curious to see if a voltblaster (cheaper) would work as well?

Any thoughts?

Thanks
SDB
Old 12-28-2003, 05:34 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

A pump booster will produce more voltage than the Volt Blaster.

The Volt Blaster will help IGN and injector voltage as a bonus with the tradeoff being slightly higher alternator load under WOT.

The Racetronix DP setup does not heat the fuel anymore than a single pump system. The secondary pump is only activated when required. The heat generated by the two pumps is minimal. Fuel temps are moderated by the shear volume of fuel in the system, extensive surface area of the lines and tank. Fuel heating is mostly a function of under hood and outdoor temps than anything else.

The single in-tank FP system for the 99+ f-body is not available but the PnP HW harnesses are.

>WEB SITE<

Last edited by Racetronix; 12-28-2003 at 08:03 PM.
Old 12-28-2003, 08:00 PM
SDB
10 Second Club

How much is the Racetronix PnP unit for a 2000 camaro?

Have you found a vendor to do the dual intank units?

Can a volt blaster be used with a boost-a-pump (if I try just the volt blaster with a single intank walboro, and it isn't enough)?

Thanks again for the knowledgable responses. Hate to make this more complicated than it has to be. I am leaning toward a single intank Walboro 340M, a volt blaster, and a PnP style wire kit for the fuel pump to start...and if while on the dyno the fuel isn't sufficient, then I will throw on a boost-a-pump.

Thanks,

SDB
Old 01-01-2004, 08:51 AM
Launching!

i am intersted in the dual pumps if the price is right

Quick Reply: MSD or Kenne Bell boost-a-pump for LS1???