Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel tank & pump(s) for street driven, turbo 408, 69 Nova

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 05:32 PM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Fuel tank & pump(s) for street driven, turbo 408, 69 Nova

I am getting ready to start from scratch on a fuel delivery system for my '69 Nova twin turbo 408 project. I want a tank to install in the stock location, and I am not very fond of having a low hanging sump stabbed into a stock tank. With that being the case, and since I need adequate baffling for dragstrip lanches, it looks like I will have to pony up for an aftermarket, fabricated, stainless steel tank from either Rock Valley or Rick's Tanks.

Since I have the "luxury" of buying a new tank, that gives me the option of either running two or three in-tank pumps (i.e. Walbro 340) or doing a single external pump like the Weldon 1100-A. I figure that I will need at least 130 lb/hr for my power goal (800+ rwhp). So what is the consensus of pump style for reliability, street duty, and wide open throttle? Multiple in-tank or single external? I know most on this forum run the multiple in-tank pumps (with good results), but if you had a clean slate to start with - what would you choose?

One cool option from Rock Valley is two separate GSS340 internal tanks with internal baffling around each inlet. That would be a little more expensive than a tank with an external Weldon 1100-A though.

I guess both styles of pumps will work, and there are good and bad points about each one. I am just interested in opinions from folks that have already been down the path I am heading. Thanks for any help.
Old 03-27-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, I am battling this moronicy right now in my '78 TA. I am now popping for a ricks or RV. That being said, go with it in the tank. While my car in no where near as extreme as yours, my Bosch 044 pump is still annoyingly loud outside the car. On top of that, the friggin sumped method was a complete FAIL!!!

Do your ears a favor, go with the intank set-up and enjoy the sounds you are supposed to hear.

Dave
Old 04-02-2010, 11:23 AM
9 Second Club

I went ahead and ordered a tank from Rick's Tanks. Some of the reasons that pushed me over:
1. I wanted a tank located in stock position with a clean look from back and sides.
2. I needed adequate internal baffling to provide constant fuel supply at dragstrip launches and cornering while street driving.
3. I decided to go with an external fuel pump in order to keep maximum flexability in fuel delivery choices for the future.
4. The new tank will be narrowed to give me room for mini tub in the future.
5. A brushed stainless steel tank will add some bling.

I plan to pick up a Weldon 1100-A pump and associated filter and boost reference regulator. It's not a cheap way to store and supply fuel, but I think it is necessary for the power goals I have. I'll post up some pictures when I get the tank and get it installed.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:29 PM
9 Second Club

The Brown truck dropped off a nice big package today. I am real happy with the quality and cosmetics off this Ricks Tanks 304SS tank. One of the nicest pieces I have ever added to my car. I'll get it fit up in the next couple of evenings. Has a -10 supply port, -8 return, and a couple 3/8" NPT vent ports.

I love the fact there isn't a boxy sump hanging beneath the tank. This should add some nice bling to the rear of the car.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default this is for banditdave!

i dont know if you have tried this or not but with ur fuel pump outside the car try put at least 1/8 think peace of rubber sheet or bushing between the frame and the fuel pump and between the bolts that will tie it to the frame it will trasticly lower the noise not as much as it would be in the tank but enough to injoy ur ta alilk more and its alot cheaper than buyin a ricks gas tank!

hope this helps you

Quick Reply: Fuel tank & pump(s) for street driven, turbo 408, 69 Nova