Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Racetronix fuel pump priming?

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 08:16 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Racetronix fuel pump priming?

I just put my racetronix pump and the wiring harness in my 98 TA. I followed the instructions to the "T". The car takes a little more crank to start. I read that the walbro pump doesn't have a check valve and that's the reason for that. I also read that if let the pump prime the car should crank right away.

Well mine takes like 4-5 sec of cranking after I hear the pump stop priming. I also noticed that if I start from a cold start the car's idle is kinda jumpy and erractic until I drive the car for a bit. The car drives normal and the idle is fine after the first stop that I make.

Ok i got a fuel gauge this morning. I hook it up at the fuel rail and it shows 60-65 psi running. When the car is off and and I turn the key on I get 60 psi all the way until the pump stops priming. So 60 psi constanly for about 3-5 secs until the pump stops priming. As soon as you don't hear the pump the pressure drops to 0 psi.

I have been kinda of reading so much about priming the pump that I never try starting it right away. >< If I try to start the car as soon as I put the key on it starts right away(makes sense because there is pressure in the system).

Now, I will think that because of no check valve that is normal for the pressure to drop to 0 psi as soon as the pump stops priming. Am I wrong? Question: When I'm cranking the car, is the pump working until I stop holding the key in the start position? My common sense tells me that yes it does. The reason I ask this question is in case that you have like bad plugs or something that will require me to crank the car for more time after pump is primed with the switch on, Will the car start?

Any write up on how to do a check valve and will this solve the pressure drop issue after the pump stops priming? If all this stuff is normal then I don't need the check valve, but that's my guess. Thanks guys.
I still haven't tried a cold start to check the bad idle with the gauge.
Is this normal? I know alot of you guys have racetronix pump. Anyone have been able to put some kinda of check valve on the fuel line? Thanks.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:21 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by gm94
I just put my racetronix pump and the wiring harness in my 98 TA. I followed the instructions to the "T". The car takes a little more crank to start. I read that the walbro pump doesn't have a check valve and that's the reason for that. I also read that if let the pump prime the car should crank right away.

Well mine takes like 4-5 sec of cranking after I hear the pump stop priming. I also noticed that if I start from a cold start the car's idle is kinda jumpy and erractic until I drive the car for a bit. The car drives normal and the idle is fine after the first stop that I make.

Ok i got a fuel gauge this morning. I hook it up at the fuel rail and it shows 60-65 psi running. When the car is off and and I turn the key on I get 60 psi all the way until the pump stops priming. So 60 psi constanly for about 3-5 secs until the pump stops priming. As soon as you don't hear the pump the pressure drops to 0 psi.

I have been kinda of reading so much about priming the pump that I never try starting it right away. >< If I try to start the car as soon as I put the key on it starts right away(makes sense because there is pressure in the system).

Now, I will think that because of no check valve that is normal for the pressure to drop to 0 psi as soon as the pump stops priming. Am I wrong? Question: When I'm cranking the car, is the pump working until I stop holding the key in the start position? My common sense tells me that yes it does. The reason I ask this question is in case that you have like bad plugs or something that will require me to crank the car for more time after pump is primed with the switch on, Will the car start?

Any write up on how to do a check valve and will this solve the pressure drop issue after the pump stops priming? If all this stuff is normal then I don't need the check valve, but that's my guess. Thanks guys.
I still haven't tried a cold start to check the bad idle with the gauge.
Is this normal? I know alot of you guys have racetronix pump. Anyone have been able to put some kinda of check valve on the fuel line? Thanks.
The F98 fuel pump DOES have a check valve. Have you contacted your dealer or Racetronix support for help?

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 04-23-2010, 11:12 AM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine starts right away. Not sure about pressure but I'll have a gauge hooked up next week.